Encouraging Thais to stop using single-use plastic bags

rooster59

22 hours ago, Cadbury said:

As an expression of Villa Market's gratitude for my thoughtful action this little charmer gave me the evil eye scowl of death. Such is the manner of Thai customer service

And I thought I was the only one that received the "evil eye scowl of death" from store sales clerks, after prying

them away from their phones.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, Moonlover said:

Negative thinking begets negative results.

Nothing negative about that at all, it is what it is. Plastic bags, plastic containers are much more cheaper than any eco friendly alternative. When you're selling soup or noodle dishes for 30 baht you're not looking to double your prices, just to repackage for the environmental crowd, whom for the most part aren't eating street food. 

7 hours ago, dcnx said:

While it’s not nation wide yet, I was in Mexican recently and they have zero plastic bag usage in one of the large cities we visited. Not even for sale. What they did have were large cloth bags for sale at the grocery store and no bags available at the convenient stores. 

We bought a bag on day one and kept it in our day pack so we always had it.  

This is such a simple problem to solve. But like everything else here, there will be little to no enforcement after the first crack down. Then it’s business as usual. 

Oh indeed it can be done. I know a town in Egypt that has completely eliminated plastic bags and polystyrene. And the restaurants there still have takeaway available. They also recycle plastic bottles by grinding them down and using the granules as part of a mix to make paving stones.

It's quite likely it's the most eco-friendly town in the whole of Africa.

I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating a previous poster, but this was actually happening in the supermarket at The Mall Ngamwongwan last Thursday. Shoppers were actually bringing their own bags. I nearly fell over backwards in surprise. I've been there before on a temporary "no plastic bags" day and everyone, apart from me, was just ignoring it. People were treating it as pretty routine too, so it seems to be a permanent thing. Guess there is hope.

Archived