My First Experience Renting A Condo In Bangkok

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Had a condo for 6 years in Bkk, owner never repaired a thing, and the air con was filthy also. Surp

He's in CM aint he? used to have in done for 250 in bkk but the sod was filling up the gas when it was not needed so ended up at 600. Mitsubishi had to let gas out when I got them round. Our landlords never fixed a thing but at least we got the deposit back and no arguments. If you pay on time and don't bother them that seems to be the way to go.

In Pattaya the lowest I could find for cleaning the inside unit only was 400. But since my units are bigger he suddenly asked for 500. I gave him 400... and 100 Tip. An other company asked for 600. Both cleaned wet with water (no disinfection). Just cleaning no gas check - I don't know if this would have been extra. I didn't want this because if you have bad luck the seals might leak afterwards and the cooling still was perfect. 

I'll never under a year lease.  6 months is crazy.  3 months is probably OK.  I've signed two leases, one had issues at move out.  Maybe I got scammed for 500 baht, so whatever, wasn't a money thing, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and they first wanted 3000 for really nothing.  now i won't stay if i have to sign, and the last three places are fine with me staying month-to-month.  Too many things change.  Maybe all-of-a-sudden there are 10 barking dogs, or crazy neighbors, or some strange night noise.  yea, or bad AC.  I had that once.  And I hope you gave them a very small deposit, one month maximum. involving agents???  well, that's on another level of crazy.   good luck, bye bye deposit.  

I rent small condo from farang owner. My AC was a mess too, not having been cleaned in ages...this should be done annually at owner’s expense. I showed her the dirty filters and the pail of black water after the cleaning...no problem for her to pay. Several small repairs I have done at my expense but I made sure to show her the improvements when she stopped by. I have lived in the same building for 12 years (several different owners)  with no lease, just a one month security deposit which has never been a problem. Renters should take care of the smaller things themselves here in Thailand. 

Do you ask her to come clean the dishes when you finished eating or clean your a.. when you visited the toilet ?? The things you call out are small repairs and aircon cleaning , your using them so why the whole problem about contacting the owner and the agency fix it yourself and you will never have these problems . And when there is a real big problem that's not your fold , then call them and let them solve it . When you rent a car , do you also call them when there is no more gasoline in the tank or when it's dirty and needs to be cleaned . The aircon is dirty not broken , if ot's broken ok but it just needs to be cleaned . 

11 minutes ago, motorcycguy said:

We are going through a similar situation with an ex-landlord that doesn't want to return the deposit. We are in the process of going through the consumer protection bureau. I suggest you look at that route if this continues.

problem is they spend it as soon as they get it and then are unable to pay it back and the bureau cant help if he doesn't have it. 

Well, everything falls of the walls in my condo, and windows stick. It’s about 5 yrs old. I’ve been there for  4 of those as I like the area. I buy all the bed stuff new. I have a 3/4 month lease. I’m lucky, whenever something goes bang , I just pop into the office and they fix it that day. 

Send me by PM your LINE ID.  I will help you, as renters do have rights here. 

Do NOT listen to anything they say here, meaning the poor excuses for human beings who have answered you thus far.

I am an American.  Most of them who have answered you are not.  They seem to not like Americans.  I understand their jealousy.

OP is you can get in contact with her or through your agent. Say look we got off to bad start. Find out ehat she thinks your or she responsible for and try to smooth it out.

If it’s something costly get her involved if not drop a few bucks and 

it’s easier. You ask someone to take a look at whatever get an estimate if not much out of pocket then no issue.

We had our AC unit wall mount with outside unit. Moved from our 1 room attached toilet toilet and shower wood thingy... cabin of sorts. When house was complete we had the AC moved ,cleaned, mounted, electrical, on its on breaker etc, They charged 800 baht 

and completely dismantled the AC and cleaned it. 

So some things are a lot less expensive than in the states. If there’s no way to have a working relationship with the landlord maybe you should look at another place. It sometimes a headache but these things happen. 

Best of luck and and hope all gets sorted out...when I first moved to Asia 15+ years ago boy I was hot head even in the US when things didn’t go my way or how I perceived them to go....

I’ve learned to have a lot more patience ay even that’s because I’m creeping up on old age... 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:22 AM, swm59nj said:

That I basically don't know how to talk to Thai people

Same old  crying  frikkin BS, they wail like  children and use this <deleted> all the time..toughen up love ......bwah you no speak polite .....just  like the other Thai poster on here.

On 11/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, pookondee said:

Your first and major mistake is approaching this with a western mindset.

With labour and repairs being so reasonable here, you could have got all the things you mentioned fixed for an absolute pittance.

In effect, you have now put the landlord offside, and have bบggered the chance of any future dealings/help..

for the sake of 500baht or so.

Not smart!

just 1 example:

In future, if you need the landlords particulars for reporting address to Immigration, she will most likely snub you..

and therefor it will be you who gets fined thousands.

Also the biggie.. you have now given her (in her mind anyway) a cause and motivation to mess you around with the deposit.

And realistically, without going through a lot of hoo-haa, there's not much you can do about it. 

Screw  that....call the tax  office and ask if  shes  paying tax...it  works  both ways if  u want to play  silly  buggers and I KNOW they are  really looking into condo tax  now

On 11/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Missus seems to agree with the landlord on this one I'm afraid. TIT you ain't in Kansas now Dorothy !

My Mrs  dont and shes rented out thousands of condos over the last 15 years. Thats what the contracts  for, read the contract, many owners  seem to pretend this doesnt exist as  do many tenants

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

keep dreaming, minimum 500

200b gets you a toothless bumpkin who uses a hose to wash down the compressor and he might clean the filters.  

500b for my guy gets a full removal from the wall and a pressure wash for both compressor and inside units.  

On 11/9/2019 at 10:11 AM, Pilotman said:

ask the OP if he paid an agent.  I would lay a bet that he did. 

I use agents every time I rent and have never paid any of them. They provide a valuable service in both negotiating rent and getting repairs done. The contracts they provide are both legal and binding and I have also always gotten my deposit back within the 30 day requirement after vacating. I would not rent without one.

Stop looking to these horrible people here for advice. Americans understand exceptionalism and they seem to be the only ones to provide good counsel.  

So here is some advice from an American exceptionalist:

Never rent old condos.  New condos have warranties on all appliances.  I'm renting from a first time owner, he's an engineer working for one of the BTS lines and he owns only this condo.

I am his second tenant.  After I moved in having assumed he cleaned the air conditioners I found that he had not.  Our lease says I am responsible for cleaning them once a year.  He paid my handyman 1500b to clean all three.  The filters were caked with dust and as you can see the fins were filthy.   These are Daikin inverters.  I run three aircons almost 24/7 and my electric bill has never topped 3000 baht.  

I signed a 2 year lease. My rent is 12,000b a month for a 45 sqm condo with swimming pools and a gym.  Next year my lease goes down to 11,000b a month.

What?  Unheard of! I can hear the scoffing.  Next year I will pay 11,000 instead of 12,000.  Why?

He will use the 2nd month security deposit to offset the rent in the 2nd year.  At the end, he will only hold one month deposit.  

He used an agent.  The agent gets paid one full month rent at signing.  They get 1.5 x rent if the signing is for 2 years.

Your owner is stupid.  We have lots of stupid Thais here in Thailand and sometimes they rent condos stupidly.  

She breached your contract.  Stop paying her rent, and find another place to live.  Let her know she is in violation of the agreement.  

I wrote the rental agreement and the agent translated it into Thai.  The English version is the controlling agreement.  

Everything was agreed to at signing.  

Stop listening to ignorant people here.

Stop listening to Ignorant Thai owners.  They know nothing. 

Read the pdf I just attached.

And stop listening to the money shamers who tell you that you should take responsibility for the owner's inability to perform on the lease.  

It's a legal document.  It's probably a disaster, like the condo, but next time you'll be careful what you sign. 

Make sure you notify her properly that she breached your agreement, then do what you want.

Screenshot of ScreenFloat (11-12-19, 09-12-51).png

20190727_114057.jpg

20190727_104848.jpg

20190718_171842.jpg

Feb_18_Residential_Building_Leasing_Business_Subject_to_Contract_Controls_0.pdf

34 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

His 2nd mistake was expecting anything constructive from you or anyone else here.

Well what would you expect?..

everyone to just rant about how bad the Thais are?

I think all the feedback he has got is spot-on actually, and hopefully it might even help others consider how they approach things here.

If you are the kind of person that thinks its worth making a complete enemy out of a landlord for the sake of 500baht, then good luck with that,

as you to are probably in for many hassles here.

3 hours ago, pookondee said:

Well what would you expect?..

everyone to just rant about how bad the Thais are?

I think all the feedback he has got is spot-on actually, and hopefully it might even help others consider how they approach things here.

If you are the kind of person that thinks its worth making a complete enemy out of a landlord for the sake of 500baht, then good luck with that,

as you to are probably in for many hassles here.

I pay what I am contractually agreed to pay.  I don't tuck tail and hide, or pucker up and hope I don't make the crooked Thais angry.  

In my case, the condo owner is young and inexperienced.  He relied on the agent to give him good advice, and she gave him very good advice. 

My relationship is based upon trust and agreement.  He's not my friend, and he isn't my enemy, what he is, is a party to a transaction. 

The man's air conditioners would cost much more than 500b.  I think he mentioned there were three.  She would have him replacing her 10 year old refrigerator using the same mislogic that you seem to applaud.  

Perhaps you don't think the Thais are evolved enough to honor their written agreements.  So who is the Thai Phobe?  You or me?

On 11/9/2019 at 10:11 AM, Pilotman said:

ask the OP if he paid an agent.  I would lay a bet that he did. 

The owner of an condo normally pays 10% of the rent to the real estate agent. The tenant never pay any money what so ever to the agent. That's how it works. 

17 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I pay what I am contractually agreed to pay.  I don't tuck tail and hide, or pucker up and hope I don't make the crooked Thais angry.  

In my case, the condo owner is young and inexperienced.  He relied on the agent to give him good advice, and she gave him very good advice. 

My relationship is based upon trust and agreement.  He's not my friend, and he isn't my enemy, what he is, is a party to a transaction. 

The man's air conditioners would cost much more than 500b.  I think he mentioned there were three.  She would have him replacing her 10 year old refrigerator using the same mislogic that you seem to applaud.  

Perhaps you don't think the Thais are evolved enough to honor their written agreements.  So who is the Thai Phobe?  You or me?

Contracts are contracts, but i don't ever expect to have the same consumer protection and "rights" as i would back home. 

If a tenant doesn't pay up here, they simply cut the power and water, void your entry card and thats it!

No messing around with 3 warnings, various letters and notices and the landlord getting shafted for 12 months rental income like back home.

And as a former landlord who's been ripped off, I can certainly appreciate the Thai system.

In your case(s) after thinking about it, 

i concede it is a slightly different scenario having an agent as a go-between.

You can demand more, and have a Thai on your side to argue the case, and no language barrier.

I get that.

I never used agents myself, as personally i believe they get paid to much commission for what they actually do, but that is another argument for another day.

Incidently, in my case, the landlord always tells me to take 500baht off my monthly rent when i get the aircon cleaned. 

She has also said to keep the dockets for replacement bum-guns, even light bulbs and she would reimburse but im not that petty.

Been here nearly 10 years, the rent was dirt cheap back then, and has not gone up in that time. 

Don't think it would be like that if i demanded everything i was "contractually"

entitled to!

works both ways i guess..

Archived