Property law

I have a number of questions about property limits to know where I stand before commissioning any work.  Most Thais give vague or general answers and builders will say what they think the customer wishes to hear.  The first is about outside boundary walls.

If there are two shop houses one owned by Preecha and the other by Noi separated by an alley way that belongs to Noi,

Noi is allowed to have windows that open onto the alley way but not Preecha.  I assume this is because Preecha would then be encroaching into Noi’s property if anything protruded from the window.

Is it also the case, which would seem to follow, that Preecha may not have anything on the outside wall of his shophouse along the alley, such as an electric junction box or a drain pipe?  On the other hand, Noi is allowed to have a drain pipe along Preecha’s outer wall but I assume he may not he affix it to the wall without Preecha’s approval.

The building we are considering owns the alley and the other wall has an electric junction box but also drain pipes that come from "our" building.

It seems like a hair splitting situation between 2 neighbours, best will be to go to the town planning/building permits department at your local Amphe and get the verdict there as to whom has the rights to do what...

Seems to me you are looking for issues where there are none.

If you own the alley, then when and if you ever have an objection or issue that is the time to seek qualified legal help. Until then it is all guesswork.

In short, dont let things become a problem until it is one.

4 hours ago, thaibook said:

If there are two shop houses one owned by Preecha and the other by Noi separated by an alley way that belongs to Noi,

Noi is allowed to have windows that open onto the alley way but not Preecha.  I assume this is because Preecha would then be encroaching into Noi’s property if anything protruded from the window.

You assume wrong.

Building regs state you can't have windows within 1m* of someone else's property.

Nois windows open onto her alley, which is 1m or more from Preecha's property.

Preecha's property is built on Noi's property line, so he can't have windows.

(*it might have been 2m)

Archived