Renter leaves landlady with a trash filled condo - and a parting message!

rooster59

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

nothing to do with being thai or in thailand; back home a friend of mine rented her apartment, the tenants not only trashed the place but also stole almost everything movable in the place. - they weren't thai!

The same happened to me in Ottawa, Canada.  Trashed the house and stole all the furniture and appliances.  It cost a small fortune to repair/remodel prior to selling the property!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai renters are now including a cleanup fee in their leases in addition to the 2 months deposit.  The thinking as I see it is I am paying to have the apartment cleaned so let it go for the last 2 months.  So far, I have always received my deposit back and I have never left an apartment that was not cleaned.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:09 PM, tomazbodner said:

This is a post for all those considering buying overpriced condos with bank loan then renting them out to pay off monthly installments... Which financially doesn't work out anyway, but when you add damage to the property on top it's worse than keeping it empty.

Really?  Your expertise comes from this article?    Ive rented out property for years and still do.  No such problem hoarders.  

On 11/9/2019 at 12:40 PM, DannyCarlton said:

I would have done the same if they'd refused to return my deposit for no reason (the norm with Thai landlords).

Such imagination amongst the idle minds. How would you know that ahead of time?  They have 30 days to refund it. My landlord took that long. 

5 hours ago, sletraveler said:

Really?  Your expertise comes from this article?    Ive rented out property for years and still do.  No such problem hoarders.  

Did you take a 30 year bank loan to buy 150,000+ baht/m2 condo to rent it out at half the monthly loan installment? That's what that post was about. And while many did just that and are already in red, such an extra unexpected expense could bankrupt them. Obviously you can get good or bad guests, like there are good and bad landlords. If that hasn't happened to you so far it doesn't mean it never will. Though I hope it doesn't.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:03 PM, ChrisY1 said:

Tenants are so nice in Thailand......!

Well, there are lots of Chinese landlords in Thailand. Actually BKK might be all owned by the Chinese. By my own experiences renting from the Chinese, they don't really care about their buildings or their tenants. They care only about collecting the rent. This may not be the case, but it could be.

This  is a post for all you Thai landlord bashers,  when i left the UK my house sold quicker than anticipated and i took a 3 month rent on an apartment, paying 3 months up front and 3 months deposit after 20 months i am still waiting for my 3 months deposit every reason in the book not to refund it. We only stayed in it for 5 weeks and was cleaner than when we  walked through the door,  English landlord.

Archived