You just can't stop the pirates - Thais still getting free movies despite bust

rooster59

You just can't stop the pirates - Thais still getting free movies despite bust

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU4OS83OTQ2ODgyLzA4bW92aWUyZnJlZW5vdGRlYWQuanBn.jpg

Caption: movie2free refuses to die

Sanook reported that a high profile bust of a major site illegally streaming movies for free had made no difference at all to Thai habits. 

Following complaints from the Motion Picture Association in the US and Hollywood agents the "movie2free" administrator in Chiang Mai was arrested by Thai investigators. 

Run from abroad the site attracted 10 million views a day and was earning its owners 5 million baht a month in advertising revenues. 

But Sanook said that Thai social media was abuzz with ways to get round the problem.

Movie2free could still be accessed under a new name using a similar domain. 

There were also lots of other sites offering similar illegal streaming services. 

They said the message was clear: "Whatever you do to stop it - you can't get them all". 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-09

First the good news: 5G will let you watch soaps, movies and sport thousands of times quicker.

Now the bad news: you're going to pay for EVERYTHING you download.

(Ain't going to happen. The ruling plutocracy knows free junk is the best way to keep the prols dumbed down and docile).

5 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

Not a great site for a farang as the menu is all in Thai,  and the resolution of the movies is pure <deleted>.

There are dozens in the English language. Every movie and series possible. I'm watching the final episode of "the Block" now! 

GEO restrictions and very limited offering on Netflix causes me to also see things elsewhere. Even I do pay where I can.

For Thais the niche business is their lack of ENG skills, these sites offer hassle free Thai subtitles etc. without needing knowledge or software.
Many Thais I know do not care about the <deleted>ty resolution or quality at all, as long they can understand it.

22 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

First the good news: 5G will let you watch soaps, movies and sport thousands of times quicker.

(Ain't going to happen. The ruling plutocracy knows free junk is the best way to keep the prols dumbed down and docile).

5G is years away from being nationwide and functioning. Like in the rest of the world there will be a few select locations with it and the reach is small and weak. It’s going to be a while.

These giant corporations are steadfast in their old ways. The rest of the world has moved on, leaving them clinging to the only revenue method they know how to do. They can never stop or control free streaming. So, maybe they should hire a young 20-something kid to think outside the box for them. How to make money in this new internet world? I can think of 2 or 3 methods off the top of my head. They already make enormous amount of money, even with the pirate sites.

On 11/9/2019 at 5:42 AM, johng said:

Isn't it great that something designed to be resistant to nuclear attack and other forms of sabotage actually works

Cockroaches are also resistant to nuclear attack as has been found during atomic trials but not sure about the "...other forms of sabotage".

'nuf sed.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:12 AM, tabarin said:

GEO restrictions and very limited offering on Netflix causes me to also see things elsewhere. Even I do pay where I can.

For Thais the niche business is their lack of ENG skills, these sites offer hassle free Thai subtitles etc. without needing knowledge or software.
Many Thais I know do not care about the <deleted>ty resolution or quality at all, as long they can understand it.

My ex wife said she couldn't see a difference when I upgraded from her VCD setup to blu ray 

On 11/12/2019 at 2:38 AM, scoutman360 said:

These giant corporations are steadfast in their old ways. The rest of the world has moved on, leaving them clinging to the only revenue method they know how to do. They can never stop or control free streaming. So, maybe they should hire a young 20-something kid to think outside the box for them. How to make money in this new internet world? I can think of 2 or 3 methods off the top of my head. They already make enormous amount of money, even with the pirate sites.

Nail on the head.  If the 'entertainment' industry was rational and flexible (and not corrupted) they would have realised they are Beta in a VHS world (VGA in a HDMI world).  But they refuse to change and they continue to try more and more ways to protect their old ways that provides the $millions to their actors, producers, owners, etc. etc. 

There are still some people who are prepared to pay for the 'movie theatre' experience - but just like the dying video rental industry, they will surely go the way of the dinosaor.  Here in Aus it costs us $18 each for a movie ticket - that is $36 to watch a movie that in a few weeks we can download for free and watch on our 65" screen in 1080 will full digital sound (and with no aholes on the phone or eating chips and other 'issues').

I loved the TV show The Streets of San Francisco. It's older than I am, but I caught the reruns as a kid in the 80's. About 5 years ago someone put up nearly all the episodes on YouTube. It was great, I was plowing through them. Then eventually came the copyright <deleted>, and they were all gone.

Why? A lot of people were watching. Why not put up some ads and send the revenue to the copyright holders. Seems like good business to me. But apparently they still think they're worth more. Come on, it's a 45 year old TV show. The actors and everyone involved have long since been compensated, or are dead. My only option are the DVD box sets? It's 2019. Last time I was in the States, the DVD sections in the stores are either gathering dust or being phased out. They gotta be streamed. But you can't charge Disney+ subscriptions for everything. Some things are just worth the ad revenue.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:21 PM, Krataiboy said:

5G in Thailand, actually widespread and working--hard to get much 3G or 4G to work on a consistent basis.

Archived