Cash requirement for visa exemption

I read that I will need 20,000 THB to show at the border checkpoint in order to qualify for visa exemption.

Just to be clear, that's 20 x 1,000 THB notes, not foreign currency (600 EUR), not a recent foreign bank statement showing a balance in excess of this, and not a physical credit/debit card, right?

Is this a new thing? I arrived visa exempt for a couple of weeks in 2016 and they just put the stamp in my passport, didn't ask me to show any cash, or evidence of how I would be supporting myself, or any other documentation...

Is it really necessary? 600 EUR equivalent is a lot of cash to be carrying around with oneself whilst on holiday.

You may need to show B20,000 (B10,000 maybe?) cash, or the equivalent in another currency (and only if asked, not many are asked as you have experienced yourself previously).  It does not have to be in B1,000 notes, B20's would be just as acceptable!

Bank statements or cards are unacceptable.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

Immigration can ask if you have the equivalent of 20,000 baht in any currency. Usually they don't. If they do ask it is with people with suspicious travel histories in Thailand. Basically, if you come too frequently and stay too long. Your travel history is not suspicious so I wouldn't worry.

However . . . I actually did this for my last trip to the US in September. I brought 20,000 baht to have with me when I returned. Most transactions in Thailand are cash. So if you actually bring Thai baht then you will use a lot of it while you are here. If you are staying in a hotel with a room safe then you can always keep some of it in the safe. If you bring foreign currency then you should make an effort to bring currency that is in very good condition so that it will be accepted at currency exchange places. 

2 hours ago, edd999 said:

I would like to add a further question to this topic ........ is an onward flight out of Thailand always required for visa exemption entry if coming by land crossing. 

If you walk into Thailand a ticket out is not required to get a visa exempt.

In case you enter Thailand by vehicle (planep, boat, train...) a ticket out would be required.

Edited by jackdd

On 11/11/2019 at 6:18 PM, youbuyshirt said:

Is it acceptable, instead of showing cash, to show a Thai bank savings passbook with balance of more than the required amount?

BUT  wouldn't having a Thai bank account mean you  r more than tourist in their eyes ?? and should not be using visa exempt.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 3:18 PM, youbuyshirt said:

Is it acceptable, instead of showing cash, to show a Thai bank savings passbook with balance of more than the required amount?

No. Cash only. Also note no ATMs Air side of immigration.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 12:16 AM, Martyp said:

Immigration can ask if you have the equivalent of 20,000 baht in any currency. Usually they don't. If they do ask it is with people with suspicious travel histories in Thailand. Basically, if you come too frequently and stay too long. Your travel history is not suspicious so I wouldn't worry.

However . . . I actually did this for my last trip to the US in September. I brought 20,000 baht to have with me when I returned. Most transactions in Thailand are cash. So if you actually bring Thai baht then you will use a lot of it while you are here. If you are staying in a hotel with a room safe then you can always keep some of it in the safe. If you bring foreign currency then you should make an effort to bring currency that is in very good condition so that it will be accepted at currency exchange places. 

Bring your currency you will get a better EX rate and i agree it is a lot of money to carry even 10 k i worry for when my daughter comes over.