Censorship on Thai Netflix

tom in bangkok

I've been watching South Park on Netflix as it's been newly added but so much of the show is bleeped out or blurred. Swear words C F S, sometimes B, and a**hole are bleeped. AHole is not bleeped in the case of a stereotypical American black accent though. Guns and "gore" and middle fingers and ass cracks are blurred.... it's a cartoon...

Meanwhile I can watch American Sniper or The King on Netflix and see uncensored guns and assassinations and beheadings and sex.

What the bleep is up with this censorship?

In the southern part of the country we were getting MNET stations from South Africa for a few years.  No Thai censorship at all.  Even that certain Jodie Foster movie that was banned.  Going up to Bkk and seeing ciggies blurred out was always too funny to be annoyed at.

Suffice to say that when it comes to what the public should or should not view on public or private entertainment channels the guidelines are still stuck somewhere in 19th century and the people incharge are probably in their 70'-80'....

9 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

I wonder if Thai Netflix censors this..

Legally there is no way around for a company operating within Thailand.

Technically I don't see who else than Netflix can do the censorship?

On 11/10/2019 at 2:08 AM, tom in bangkok said:

see uncensored guns and assassinations and beheadings and sex.

Assasinations? Fine, can be sent any time on public TV.

Beheadings? Well, not seen myself on TV but violence and killing of all kinds, no problem.

SEX???? That must have slipped through. Not even intense kiss allowed on the soap operas. It's a piece of art how they circumvent.

Archived