Tourist ‘beach bus’ crashes on way to Paradise Beach, no serious injuries say police

rooster59

Tourist ‘beach bus’ crashes on way to Paradise Beach, no serious injuries say police

By The Phuket News

1573321678_1-org.jpg

The ‘bus’, a small van/truck vehicle converted to carry people in the back, sits beside the road hidden behind green screening. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: Tourists travelling in a small truck converted to carry people in the back escaped serious injury on Saturday afternoon (Nov 9) as one of the front wheels “failed”, sending the pickup truck into a roadside ditch on the road to Paradise Beach, south of Patong.

Lt Pongsatorn Pothong of the Patong Police told The Phuket News that the accident occurred at about 1:50pm.

The tourists had arrived at the entrance to the beach on the main road by their own transport, and boarded the small “bus” to be taken down to the beach, Lt Pongsatorn explained.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-beach-bus-crashes-on-way-to-paradise-beach-no-serious-injuries-say-police-73570.php#XvswJvWOHcvQzI7e.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-11-10

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

people in the back escaped serious injury on Saturday afternoon (Nov 9) as one of the front wheels “failed”,

How on earth does a wheel fail..? do they mean it had a puncture of the wheel fell off...LOL

Typically, let's suppose the vehicle had been serviced for some reason before the trip. Just suppose.

Supposing a mechanic had a front wheel off. He's putting it back on when he gets distracted, only one nut had been installed, maybe two.

He comes back to work on the vehicle after the distraction and forgets to put the other nuts on the studs.

Result: Wheel failure !

I know, first hand. I used to own a restoration shop. I've seen it happen.

14 minutes ago, neeray said:

Typically, let's suppose the vehicle had been serviced for some reason before the trip. Just suppose.

Supposing a mechanic had a front wheel off. He's putting it back on when he gets distracted, only one nut had been installed, maybe two.

He comes back to work on the vehicle after the distraction and forgets to put the other nuts on the studs.

Result: Wheel failure !

I know, first hand. I used to own a restoration shop. I've seen it happen.

Even happens with F1 pit stops. I recall the Haas and McLaren team being affected recently, despite all their hi-tech systems.

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

How on earth does a wheel fail..? do they mean it had a puncture of the wheel fell off...LOL

wheel failure and brake failure, pretty common here... next will be piston/injection/combustion failure   555

I lived on Patong beach 10 years ago.Just went back a few months ago and took my 4 year old to this beach that we used to go for free before.400 for a taxi from Patong beach to this so called bus station one way.Pay for the bus the final few hundred meters,pay to get in  and 500 bth for a big bed on the beach. 180bth for a small beer and a bottle of water.So 2k before you think about what the food cost.Biggest rip of in a long time.Stayed 30 min and went back.Before we could drive all the way down on a scooter.Will never go back there again.

9 hours ago, Youlike said:

How can the brake jam when the governor has recently checked all boats and buses and claimed that all tourists would be safe in Thailand???

What a crappy buses!! With such high prices can't they afford some decent buses?? 

"How can the brake jam..." [sic]

Where did it say that was what happened? 

"With such high prices can't they afford some decent buses??".

Expensive?  How much do you think the fare was on that bus?

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

How on earth do you not understand that a "wheel failure" could be caused by a seized wheel bearing, metal fatigue causing cracks around the wheel nuts area, a broken track rod and I'm sure there are other causes.

"...it had a puncture of the wheel fell off..."

What on earth do you mean by "a puncture of the wheel fell off" [sic]?

8 hours ago, Chazar said:

Are they still guaranteeing our  safety? or was that yesterday?

Yes. All those lucky to survive and board their return (escape) flights will be guaranteed safety, retrospectively.!!!

The unlucky ones should just refer to the disclaimer...or at least their next of kin can.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"How can the brake jam..." [sic]

Where did it say that was what happened? 

"With such high prices can't they afford some decent buses??".

Expensive?  How much do you think the fare was on that bus?

Try reading Odin Norway. 

13 hours ago, Just Weird said:

How on earth do you not understand that a "wheel failure" could be caused by a seized wheel bearing, metal fatigue causing cracks around the wheel nuts area, a broken track rod and I'm sure there are other causes.

"...it had a puncture of the wheel fell off..."

What on earth do you mean by "a puncture of the wheel fell off" [sic]?

Bearings & track rods are not part of the wheel and cracks around the nuts must be a 1 in 1000,000,000 chance of the wheel coming off unless all of the nuts fail at the same time, highly improbable

21 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

I lived on Patong beach 10 years ago.Just went back a few months ago and took my 4 year old to this beach that we used to go for free before.400 for a taxi from Patong beach to this so called bus station one way.Pay for the bus the final few hundred meters,pay to get in  and 500 bth for a big bed on the beach. 180bth for a small beer and a bottle of water.So 2k before you think about what the food cost.Biggest rip of in a long time.Stayed 30 min and went back.Before we could drive all the way down on a scooter.Will never go back there again.

Seems like these days I get easily confused, so please remind me, is this the beach which was deemed to be available for public use, and on which a certain person had built structures, which were ordered to be removed a few years ago by Army and perhaps the Mayor of Patong??

If so, it only goes to prove that corruption is alive and well in Patong/Phuket.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Seems like these days I get easily confused, so please remind me, is this the beach which was deemed to be available for public use, and on which a certain person had built structures, which were ordered to be removed a few years ago by Army and perhaps the Mayor of Patong??

If so, it only goes to prove that corruption is alive and well in Patong/Phuket.

Yes, that one.

Archived