Jump to content
BANGKOK
hifarang

payment accepted by the majority in bangkok

Recommended Posts

is there a type of payment that we can sign up to which will be accepted at most establishment throughout bangkok?

 

street food, mall food, rooftop bars, fast food, etc.

 

mainly for food but useful if it includes supermarket, 7 eleven, public transportation, etc.

 

we have used cash in the past but would like to just use mobile payment

 

will apple or google pay be accepted?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will stick to a bit of the folding stuff in the back pocket

Every Government salivates over the cashless society when they can keep track of all spending 

& tax you according to your spending 

  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, natway09 said:

& tax you according to your spending 

What do you mean?  Who gets taxed on their everyday spending and by which governments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7-11 takes credit cards above ฿300. Many places take line pay but it’s an elaborate procedure to get started if you don’t live here. Big stores and most medium or large restaurants take cards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several banks have ATM/Debit cards with Visa or MasterCard, which you can use for buying  tickets for the MTS/BRT, that's the underground and sky train in BKK. Bigger restaurants accept Debit Cards, but supermarkets like 7/11, only (for a strange reason) accept Credit Cards. You can of course buy stuff online. That's about all you can do with a debit card. Forget street food and markets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why does Bangkkok Bank, one, if not the biggest , still use UNION PAY, my debit card isnt worth the plastic it is written on, no one wants it no one will accept it, when i lived in Bangkok i had a BB card with visa on it, i went to the bank to complain, (Jomtien) girl said its on visa Acceptable NO ITS NOT, i had to pay for a holiday with my UK credit card, so i got stung with the exchange rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

why does Bangkkok Bank, one, if not the biggest , still use UNION PAY, my debit card isnt worth the plastic it is written on, no one wants it no one will accept it, when i lived in Bangkok i had a BB card with visa on it, i went to the bank to complain, (Jomtien) girl said its on visa Acceptable NO ITS NOT, i had to pay for a holiday with my UK credit card, so i got stung with the exchange rate.

Why did you accept the ATM-card with Union Pay in the first place? Bangkok Bank had 3 ATM-cards earlier with Visa, but since November 5 last year they offer the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard instead of the cards with Visa. The cards with Visa will expire December 31 this year. So, from January 1 2020, there will only be ATM-cards with Union Pay or the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. Like you said, Union Pay is useless, but that's a well known fact. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BKK Bank gives you the option of MasterCard or UOB.  I have had no problems using my MasterCard but can only charge a maximum of $50,000 per day.  I continue to use my Navy Fed care everywhere for the 1% caskback feature.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

BKK Bank gives you the option of MasterCard or UOB.  I have had no problems using my MasterCard but can only charge a maximum of $50,000 per day.  I continue to use my Navy Fed care everywhere for the 1% caskback feature.  

There are actually issues with the new Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. There's been complaints since November last year. It doesn't work everywhere online,it seems to be an authentication issue. My card works ok,but I have had problem at for example Tesco Lotus since day one. But, luckily I also have a Visa Debit card from K-Bank which works 100%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AliPay and WeChat Pay. Hope you have Chinese passport to apply...

 

Yes, I know foreigners can now register but that is since 5 days ago and only apparently currently only works for payments in China...

 

Forget ApplePay. Even Apple stuff selling shops in Bangkok don't accept it.

Edited by tomazbodner
Apple shops -> Apple stuff selling shops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

AliPay and WeChat Pay. Hope you have Chinese passport to apply...

 

Yes, I know foreigners can now register but that is since 5 days ago and only apparently currently only works for payments in China...

 

Forget ApplePay. Even Apple stuff selling shops in Bangkok don't accept it.

I've used Apple Pay at a couple of new 7/11's on my area recently. Must be new tech installed I'm guessing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, flbkk said:

7-11 takes credit cards above ฿300. Many places take line pay but it’s an elaborate procedure to get started if you don’t live here. Big stores and most medium or large restaurants take cards. 

if line pay can be used in many places might take a chance to go through the process. can this be setup prior to arriving in bangkok?

 

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Several banks have ATM/Debit cards with Visa or MasterCard, which you can use for buying  tickets for the MTS/BRT, that's the underground and sky train in BKK. Bigger restaurants accept Debit Cards, but supermarkets like 7/11, only (for a strange reason) accept Credit Cards. You can of course buy stuff online. That's about all you can do with a debit card. Forget street food and markets. 

yikes! sounds like there are too many different methods. was hoping for one/two types to go exploring and not worry too much about being low on cash

 

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

AliPay and WeChat Pay. Hope you have Chinese passport to apply...

 

Yes, I know foreigners can now register but that is since 5 days ago and only apparently currently only works for payments in China...

 

Forget ApplePay. Even Apple stuff selling shops in Bangkok don't accept it.

is alipay/wechat widely accepted compared to line pay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grab and Line seem to be getting more popular all the time. You'll see them accepted at many small shops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...