payment accepted by the majority in bangkok

hifarang

is there a type of payment that we can sign up to which will be accepted at most establishment throughout bangkok?

street food, mall food, rooftop bars, fast food, etc.

mainly for food but useful if it includes supermarket, 7 eleven, public transportation, etc.

we have used cash in the past but would like to just use mobile payment

will apple or google pay be accepted?

Several banks have ATM/Debit cards with Visa or MasterCard, which you can use for buying  tickets for the MTS/BRT, that's the underground and sky train in BKK. Bigger restaurants accept Debit Cards, but supermarkets like 7/11, only (for a strange reason) accept Credit Cards. You can of course buy stuff online. That's about all you can do with a debit card. Forget street food and markets. 

why does Bangkkok Bank, one, if not the biggest , still use UNION PAY, my debit card isnt worth the plastic it is written on, no one wants it no one will accept it, when i lived in Bangkok i had a BB card with visa on it, i went to the bank to complain, (Jomtien) girl said its on visa Acceptable NO ITS NOT, i had to pay for a holiday with my UK credit card, so i got stung with the exchange rate.

13 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

why does Bangkkok Bank, one, if not the biggest , still use UNION PAY, my debit card isnt worth the plastic it is written on, no one wants it no one will accept it, when i lived in Bangkok i had a BB card with visa on it, i went to the bank to complain, (Jomtien) girl said its on visa Acceptable NO ITS NOT, i had to pay for a holiday with my UK credit card, so i got stung with the exchange rate.

Why did you accept the ATM-card with Union Pay in the first place? Bangkok Bank had 3 ATM-cards earlier with Visa, but since November 5 last year they offer the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard instead of the cards with Visa. The cards with Visa will expire December 31 this year. So, from January 1 2020, there will only be ATM-cards with Union Pay or the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. Like you said, Union Pay is useless, but that's a well known fact. 

BKK Bank gives you the option of MasterCard or UOB.  I have had no problems using my MasterCard but can only charge a maximum of $50,000 per day.  I continue to use my Navy Fed care everywhere for the 1% caskback feature.  

9 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

BKK Bank gives you the option of MasterCard or UOB.  I have had no problems using my MasterCard but can only charge a maximum of $50,000 per day.  I continue to use my Navy Fed care everywhere for the 1% caskback feature.  

There are actually issues with the new Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. There's been complaints since November last year. It doesn't work everywhere online,it seems to be an authentication issue. My card works ok,but I have had problem at for example Tesco Lotus since day one. But, luckily I also have a Visa Debit card from K-Bank which works 100%. 

AliPay and WeChat Pay. Hope you have Chinese passport to apply...

Yes, I know foreigners can now register but that is since 5 days ago and only apparently currently only works for payments in China...

Forget ApplePay. Even Apple stuff selling shops in Bangkok don't accept it.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Yes, I know foreigners can now register but that is since 5 days ago and only apparently currently only works for payments in China...

I've used Apple Pay at a couple of new 7/11's on my area recently. Must be new tech installed I'm guessing

13 hours ago, flbkk said:

7-11 takes credit cards above ฿300. Many places take line pay but it’s an elaborate procedure to get started if you don’t live here. Big stores and most medium or large restaurants take cards. 

if line pay can be used in many places might take a chance to go through the process. can this be setup prior to arriving in bangkok?

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Several banks have ATM/Debit cards with Visa or MasterCard, which you can use for buying  tickets for the MTS/BRT, that's the underground and sky train in BKK. Bigger restaurants accept Debit Cards, but supermarkets like 7/11, only (for a strange reason) accept Credit Cards. You can of course buy stuff online. That's about all you can do with a debit card. Forget street food and markets. 

yikes! sounds like there are too many different methods. was hoping for one/two types to go exploring and not worry too much about being low on cash

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

is alipay/wechat widely accepted compared to line pay?

5 hours ago, hifarang said:

if line pay can be used in many places might take a chance to go through the process. can this be setup prior to arriving in bangkok?

yikes! sounds like there are too many different methods. was hoping for one/two types to go exploring and not worry too much about being low on cash

is alipay/wechat widely accepted compared to line pay?

For daily transport on the MTS/BRT in BKK then using a banks ATM card (one which is connected to that service) is convenient. You'll soon understand that cash is king in Thailand. Some new Debit Cards has the new contactless buying function, where you just wave your card in front of the terminal in the store,but then again,where are those stores? ???? Some ways of payment aren't available for foreigners. Yet. 

5 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Grab and Line seem to be getting more popular all the time. You'll see them accepted at many small shops.

If you bank with for example Bangkok Bank, you can now get a Be1st Smart Rabbit Line Pay Card.

I suppose other banks have same offer. 

18 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

"BKK Bank gives you the option of MasterCard or UOB"

Bangkok Bank does not offer UOB cards, it offers Mastercard or Union Pay.

19 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Get yourself a Bangkok Bank Mastercard!

19 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why did you accept the ATM-card with Union Pay in the first place? Bangkok Bank had 3 ATM-cards earlier with Visa, but since November 5 last year they offer the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard instead of the cards with Visa. The cards with Visa will expire December 31 this year. So, from January 1 2020, there will only be ATM-cards with Union Pay or the Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. Like you said, Union Pay is useless, but that's a well known fact. 

I have a bkk bank visa card valid til 2021, are you telling me this will be cancelled? 

14 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

I have a bkk bank visa card valid til 2021, are you telling me this will be cancelled? 

Yes, every Visa debit card from Bangkok Bank will expire December 31 2019. Just check the website. This is old news. You can change it to a MasterCard for free at your local branch. 

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
55 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Get yourself a Bangkok Bank Mastercard!

I told him same thing. Why he accepted a useless Union Pay Debit card is a mystery.

Union Pay was a bit useless when they first started issuing those cards a year or so ago but most places will accept them now.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Union Pay was a bit useless when they first started issuing those cards a year or so ago but most places will accept them now.

I had an ATM with Union Pay issued July 2017. 100% useless, but I also had a Visa Debit Card. I remember when Bangkok Bank promised people the Union Pay card would work worldwide. ????

52 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Yes, every Visa debit card from Bangkok Bank will expire December 31 2019. Just check the website. This is old news. You can change it to a MasterCard for free at your local branch. 

Been working outside Thailand, and just returned, thanks. 

18 hours ago, Max69xl said:

For daily transport on the MTS/BRT in BKK then using a banks ATM card (one which is connected to that service) is convenient. You'll soon understand that cash is king in Thailand. Some new Debit Cards has the new contactless buying function, where you just wave your card in front of the terminal in the store,but then again,where are those stores? ???? Some ways of payment aren't available for foreigners. Yet. 

will any american contactless visa/mastercard work or only those issued from thai bank?

8 hours ago, hifarang said:

will any american contactless visa/mastercard work or only those issued from thai bank?

I actually don't know, but I think it works. But the limit is quite low for contactless payments when using a foreign card. I think it's 1500 baht with my Bangkok Bank MasterCard.

17 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I actually don't know, but I think it works. But the limit is quite low for contactless payments when using a foreign card. I think it's 1500 baht with my Bangkok Bank MasterCard.

Not a problem. Thanks for suggesting it or I wouldn't have checked our cards to see if we have it to even try. Now we just need to make a trip and give it a try.

Archived