BANGKOK
Peterw42

Clarification of insurance and extensions since 31/10.

1 hour ago, Raphael54 said:

Yes, rejection of extension of stay, 3 days ago on Tuesday 12 November 2019, Nonthaburi immigration office.

First hand experience of Extension of Stay for Non-Immigrant O-A was rejected at the Nonthaburi immigration office because the insurance that the applicant has is a foreign insurance from Allianz.  The Allianz policy has vastly greater coverage (1 million USD instead of 400,000 THB) but it was rejected on the grounds that it was not a local Thai company.

Sad for the OA holder that his application for OA extension of stay was turned down for the thai-approved health insurance requirement!

But thanks for posting and providing the full detail.

And so - as far as I know - this is the 1st first-hand report of an OA extension denial for reason of not meeting the health-insurance requirement.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Raphael54 said:

Yes, rejection of extension of stay, 3 days ago on Tuesday 12 November 2019, Nonthaburi immigration office.

If you were applying for a NEW O-A at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country, you MIGHT be able to use your Allianz policy -- IF you could get someone at that insurer to sign the MoPH "Foreign Insurance Certificate" and then present that to the Embassy/Consulate.

But, that would only cover you for a year or two, and then you'd have to repeat the process again at the Embassy/Consulate. Because, as things stand right now, it appears than ANY retirement extension of stay based on an O-A visa is going to draw the insurance requirement.

But as noted, there's also the alternative to switch to an O visa that does not currently require health insurance, either re the visa itself or any extensions of stay from it....

I don't suppose you asked Nonthaburi Immigration if they'd be willing to switch you to an O visa right there at Immigration? Or they want you to leave the country, get a new O visa outside Thailand, and then re-enter on that visa.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't suppose you asked Nonthaburi Immigration if they'd be willing to switch you to an O visa right there at Immigration?

That is not possible.

The only change that can be done from a tourist or transit visa entry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ubonjoe,3 years ago,i had a friend who has switch from the immigration office in Hua Hin from NON OA to marriage visa,because the financial requirement was not enough,i think he was on 56.000 b. retirement and he was too late to put some more money(128.000 b.) on his bank account,and for the few days,i think 5 he was on marriage visa.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, EricTh said:

You might want to watch the video below.

O-Visa probably won't be issued anymore for retirement purpose in the future to plug the loophole for OA-Visa retiree. You can only get a OA-Visa in the future after a certain date.

Those with current O-Visa will be grandfathered and will not need health insurance.

You might need to send an email to the lawyer whether you should get a O-Visa as soon as possible or wait until one month later.

Unfortunally  he spoke too many times   " I think..."

…."I think so …."    "I see it like this …"

Nothing factual like he spoke to a high I.O. General or so ….. so  I Think is same as us hoping  in this uncertainty and just easing the unrest , nothing more 

3 hours ago, Raphael54 said:

The Allianz policy has vastly greater coverage (1 million USD instead of 400,000 THB) but it was rejected on the grounds that it was not a local Thai company.

Scam confirmed. Foreign bad, Thai good 😀

• Like 1

First hand experience of Extension of Stay for Non-Immigrant O-A was rejected at the Nonthaburi immigration office because the insurance that the applicant has is a foreign insurance from Allianz.  The Allianz policy has vastly greater coverage (1 million USD instead of 400,000 THB) but it was rejected on the grounds that it was not a local Thai company.

The implementation of this otherwise reasonable idea is greatly messed-up.  In pre-announcements it was always and everywhere confirmed that foreign health insurance policies would be acceptable as long as they met the minimum requirements of 400,000 THB (in-patient) and 40,000 THB (out-patient). 

But when the regulation came out (see attachment), it clearly states "(6) Only for an alien, who has been granted Non-Immigrant Visa Class O-A, must buy a Thai health insurance online which covers the length of stay in the Kingdom with no less than 40,000 baht coverage for outpatient treatment and no less than 400,000 baht for inpatient, via the website longstay.tgia.org".  

The Nonthaburi immigration office was apologetic and friendly and encouraged me to make a photo of the regulation (see attachment), because they also cannot really help it that the regulation came out as it did.  Their recommendation was to change-over from Non-Immigrant O-A to Non-Immigrant O. 

Thai visa insurance rules.jpg

OP, so what is your current status, with no extension are you leaving Thailand to get an O visa etc. Did they give you a 7 day extension ? 

Just out of interest is this your 1st extension after OA expired ?

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 2:39 AM, Peterw42 said:

Just trying to get clarification if there are any first hand reports of people needing insurance for an re-entry permit entry or an extension of stay.

Eeeh? Sorry it´s not possible to clarify that. It´s beyond all comprehension. 😉

Sad, and really feel for you!

Suggestion > Nonthaburi and Bangkok are location-wise relatively close.  Therefore > would it not be possible for you to present your case at CW and ask for their advice/opinion?

Reason for my suggestion is that there was a first-hand report posted of an APPROVED extension of stay based on an original OA - retirement Visa WITHOUT health-insurance at CW.

That CW report and your report are at present afaik the ONLY two first-hand reports and they have a different outcome, so one of them is not correct. 

Or alternatively, the health-insurance requirement is enforced differently in both locations (which might prompt you to temporarily re-locate to Bangkok and apply for your extension at CW).

Just thinking out loud... 

42 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Sad, and really feel for you!

Suggestion > Nonthaburi and Bangkok are location-wise relatively close.  Therefore > would it not be possible for you to present your case at CW and ask for their advice/opinion?

Reason for my suggestion is that there was a first-hand report posted of an APPROVED extension of stay based on an original OA - retirement Visa WITHOUT health-insurance at CW.

That CW report and your report are at present afaik the ONLY two first-hand reports and they have a different outcome, so one of them is not correct. 

Or alternatively, the health-insurance requirement is enforced differently in both locations (which might prompt you to temporarily re-locate to Bangkok and apply for your extension at CW).

Just thinking out loud... 

So whats about that certificate shown on longstay.tgia.org ? Would they accept Allianz insurance if they sign that cert ?!

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

as far as I know - this is the 1st first-hand report of an OA extension denial for reason of not meeting the health-insurance requirement.

This seems to be 1st first hand-account that is rejected based on OA, others are 'I heard from friends'.

Edited by EricTh

6 hours ago, Raphael54 said:

In pre-announcements it was always and everywhere confirmed that foreign health insurance policies would be acceptable as long as they met the minimum requirements of 400,000 THB (in-patient) and 40,000 THB (out-patient). 

Could you share which pre-announcements you're referring to? Do you have any links? Cheers.

4 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

Ubonjoe,3 years ago,i had a friend who has switch from the immigration office in Hua Hin from NON OA to marriage visa,because the financial requirement was not enough,i think he was on 56.000 b. retirement and he was too late to put some more money(128.000 b.) on his bank account,and for the few days,i think 5 he was on marriage visa.

No he did not.

The immigration department of the Royal Thai Police do not (except in 2 specific cases) issues visas, and the case you outlined is not one of them.

He changed the reason for his extension of stay. The immigration officers (RTP) issue permission to stay and extensions of permission to stay (it isn't a visa)

changing the reason for an extension is a normal procedure.

if he is on his 5 marriage visa then he has been leaving Thailand to get them.

Visas can never be extended. You always have to get a new visa.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not possible.

The only change that can be done from a tourist or transit visa entry. 

Is it not also possible from a visa exempt entry? Maybe even a visa on arrival (if from a country that needs that)

I am arriving in about 5 days on an OA visa I got before Oct 31.  I'll let you know how it goes at immigration.   To be safe , I got insurance and also got the required certificate signed.   

On a different note, I keep reading about using an O visa instead of OA.   My understanding was you can only get an O visa is you are visiting family or are married to a Thai.  Can someone clarify this Visa for me

Thanks

• Thanks 1