Clarification of insurance and extensions since 31/10.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

... But in many cases thus far, those reports seem to have been pre-application inquiries -- not actual denials of extensions for failing to prove insurance.

You might want to read the CM immigration thread of somebody who heard his friends getting denials of extension. It's a second-hand account.

2 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

My extension based on marriage nov 6th in jomtien no mention of insurance. No queue 3 officer's to review my documents took 45 minutes. 

Was your original entry/visa an OA ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are certainly immigration offices who are even currently giving information to people asking about extending for marriage from an OA that insurance is required.

Surely not a marriage extension, it certainly isn't listed as required.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Is it relevant, as the police order only affected the section relating to extensions based on retirement?

Yes thats right, its not relevant but many are insisting it is, saying any extension after a previous OA will now require insurance.

Still no actual first hand reports of insurance required for extension or re-entry via permit.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes thats right, its not relevant but many are insisting it is, saying any extension after a previous OA will now require insurance.

Still no actual first hand reports of insurance required for extension or re-entry via permit.

Well I hope we get clarification and first hand feedback soon. I worry part of the problem is many do not grasp all the terminology. Coincidentally I ran into a friend and we ended up discussing this, and as his extension renewal is nearly due, I wanted to be sure he wasn't caught out. He didn't seem to know whether his original UK sourced Visa was 'O' or 'O-A'. It only became clear when I asked if he had to get a police report to obtain it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Why do you expect "actual first hand reports" to be available.....as if everyone residing in Thailand is a TV member?

In the CM forum, a long standing forum member has posted that two people he personally knows have been refused extensions due to lack of insurance.  I'd rather have information from an historically reliable member than someone whose first post about the topic would almost instantly be dismissed as someone trolling the forum. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And Chiang Mai Immigration as well, according to a post from the past couple days:

1474724653_CMReportofInsreqdforO-Aextensionofstay.jpg.376ac1fee0ea131cc370d80f1483f7d1.jpg

Its difficult to understand what they mean.If you change from retirement extension(from beginning O-A)to spouse extension you need insurance. But they can also mean that it is for example a family where the man is seeking retirement extension from O-A, then the wife and child can hang on his extension so that they also get an extension if they are under 50 years, for example. Or if the wife does not have the money for her own.What do you think about this guideline?

16 hours ago, SEtonal said:

It depends on the Immigration Office:

per PHUKET Immigration Volunteers:

Medical Insurance:

If the retirement extension is based on a original Non-OA visa (Issued at the Thai Embassy in your home country) then a medical insurance has to be shown and included in the extension based on retirement.
Please use the following link https://longstay.tgia.org  to get more information about the required health insurance and the accepted health insurance companies.

If the retirement extension is based on a (single entry) Non-O visa or from a conversion from Non-B or a extension based on marriage etc then the health insurance is NOT required for the extension based retirement application.

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

This is contrary to anything I checked coming out of Phuket Town 3 weeks ago.

But hey , how is there going to be any room for a back-hander if everything is clear and concise ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Below is my OA visa (redacted a little) from 2008 which I have got 11 retirement extensions of stay from.   Big thanks.

OACapture.JPG.af629c5c94c634e7fe3c7bc66171c415.JPG

To me this looks more like a subsequent "stamps transfer" annotation in your current passport. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He didn't seem to know whether his original UK sourced Visa was 'O' or 'O-A'. It only became clear when I asked if he had to get a police report to obtain it.

Your pal may need to check said annotation in his current passport (assuming, of course, that the visa in question predates it)!

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, anwa said:

Its difficult to understand what they mean.If you change from retirement extension(from beginning O-A)to spouse extension you need insurance. But they can also mean that it is for example a family where the man is seeking retirement extension from O-A, then the wife and child can hang on his extension so that they also get an extension if they are under 50 years, for example. Or if the wife does not have the money for her own.What do you think about this guideline?

I have no personal knowledge of what CM Immigration is doing on this....

But when I read the excerpt posted by the other member, the document pretty plainly seems to be saying they will require insurance for someone seeking an extension of stay for retirement based on a prior O-A visa. And apparently, that their non-Thai spouse and children would fall under the same requirement. Although the spouse and children wording to me isn't as clear.

41 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I entered at Suvarnabhumi last night with a reentry permit from a retirement extension of an OA and was stamped in to the end of my authorized stay as usual. So far I haven't heard of any experiences to the contrary for other people in that particular situation, either.

I am concerned about what will happen next year when it's time for me to extend again, though, so I continue to follow these threads with interest. I have comprehensive, unlimited insurance from the US through my retirement, and have no interest in "supplementing" it with a worthless local policy that I'll never need.

I don't think there's been any reported issue thus far with folks arriving on re-entry permits based on prior O-As...  But the issue, if there ends up being one, will be when you go to apply for a new extension of stay down the road.

• Like 1

Does someone have a list of Thai insurance companies accepted by immigration? I think I saw one before but using forum search wasn't helpful.

Just want to see how painful it would be compared to other options assuming extension renewal is blocked.

of course even if it isn't an issue this year, by next year it could become more problematic and even include those who started out on a non Imm O.

On 11/10/2019 at 9:12 AM, Peterw42 said:

Thanks, this is what I am talking about, people seem to have taken the default opinion that insurance is now a requirement for extensions, when people like yourself are doing extensions business as usual.

Part and parcel in Thailand. You will get different results from different immigration offices ... from different people within the same office. Certainly as much of a problem as these new regulations (or enforcement of old regulations) is the inconsistency. Best to take it individual, office dealt with one at a time. No assurances as to implementation.

48 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Does someone have a list of Thai insurance companies accepted by immigration? I think I saw one before but using forum search wasn't helpful.

Just want to see how painful it would be compared to other options assuming extension renewal is blocked.

of course even if it isn't an issue this year, by next year it could become more problematic and even include those who started out on a non Imm O.

Here you go. 

Approved O-A compliant Thai insurance companies

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And Chiang Mai Immigration as well, according to a post from the past couple days:

1474724653_CMReportofInsreqdforO-Aextensionofstay.jpg.376ac1fee0ea131cc370d80f1483f7d1.jpg

With all due respect I think the memo from Chiang Mai Immigration referring to "including spouse and children" is NOT referring to extensions for reason of marriage or Category 2.19 In the case of being a family member of a Thai resident (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children), but instead this is referring to spouse and children who are accompanying THE APPLICANT of the O-A Visa. I know several Americans who have brought their wife and children here with them with an O-A for the reason of retirement and they too may now be required to carry insurance for reason of extension based on retirement. As always these notices are extremely vague and can be interpreted in more than one way, perhaps purposefully to allow discretion for the Immigration Director in any office, but the final litmus test will be to hear back from those who have personally experienced the application of these rules per the notice.

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

With all due respect I think the memo from Chiang Mai Immigration referring to "including spouse and children" is NOT referring to extensions for reason of marriage

I never said it was, nor do I read the memo as meaning that.

I'm assuming they're talking about the situation where the O-A visa holder has a spouse and/or children who have been granted permission to stay as the O-A visa holder's dependents.

3 hours ago, denby45 said:

Did my application for retirement extension on Friday 8th. Nov. Jomtien and will pick up today Mon after 2pm. While I was doing the copying the guy who does the assistance there asked if I was O or O-A. I told him I was O and he said oh that's ok then your paperwork is correct. From that I guess they must be enforcing the insurance requirement in Jomtien for O-A.

Den

Yes. It seems fairly clear by now that Jomtien is enforcing the insurance requirement on OA based extensions but not O based ones. I always write Non O on the application form. Some expats don't even know if they started with an O or OA. So some reports of non enforcement of insurance may be people that actually have Os and don't understand the distinction. That already happened at least one time here. 

• Like 2