Clarification of insurance and extensions since 31/10.

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

I sent basic information to Pacific Cross and it looks like annual premium would be Baht 81,000  ... for something I neither need nor want.

Not going yo happen.

Is that down to pre existing conditions?

The table provided doesn’t appear to have those kind of premiums. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some expats don't even know if they started with an O or OA. So some reports of non enforcement of insurance may be people that actually have Os and don't understand the distinction.

Well said.  I certainly do not understand the distinction, although I do know what I have. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Does someone have a list of Thai insurance companies accepted by immigration? I think I saw one before but using forum search wasn't helpful.

Just want to see how painful it would be compared to other options assuming extension renewal is blocked.

of course even if it isn't an issue this year, by next year it could become more problematic and even include those who started out on a non Imm O.

the companies are listed on the tgia website

A detailed chart comparing all of them is attached to this thread

You will note that most don't issue policies to people over 65.

A much simpler chart, confined to those that will guarantee either lifetime renewal or renewal to age 99 is in this pinned thread here

Obviously no one planning to retire here permanently should consider other than the few companies listed in the second chart.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

I've redone the table using the final columns so it might be easier to read/

The last column on the right conforms with immigrations requirements.

Biggest factor I guess is age. I'm 74

[See table in above post 63]

Sorry I think I missed the earlier version of the table.

1. Do the 3 left columns not meet immigration requirements only because of the OP coverage?

2. Are the 3 left columns also for age 74?

Edited by rabas

11 minutes ago, rabas said:

Sorry I think I missed the earlier version of the table.

1. Do the 3 left columns not meet immigration requirements only because of the OP coverage?

2. Are the 3 left columns also for age 74?

The agent who sent me the quote said the last column met the 40,000/ 400,000 required for O-A issues. 

All the quotes were for me, at 74. Some of the other columns (I cut out a number of columns so that the posted chart would be readable) would probably satisfy O-A issues, but the one furthest to the right met the minimums.

If you want to get a quote use this:

https://www.thailand-health-insurance.com/ALP/R/pg1?mtch=b&kwds=%2Bpacific %2Bcross %2Binsurance %2Bthailand&cmid=175465870&dgid=10850696830&kwid=kwd-98940582070&dvce=c&crtv=196004625741&adps=1t3&netw=Search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm4OCopni5QIVFBiPCh3TCgigEAAYAyAAEgKcjPD_BwE

I gave basic information and email address. I fudged the phone number on the form because I didn't to get a bunch of phone calls from an insurance agent.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Ouch!!

Yes. I don't want to leave Thailand. It will be devastating for "my family" because I'm paying the mortgage on the house we share. There's no legal connection between us. Since I'm losing my sight (among other things) they're looking after me and I'm helping them out.   But if I have to go back to the US I can't continue that level of support.

I expect the thought of them thrown under the bus will haunt me everyday. Sad really.

It would be one thing if I didn't manage to plan for my stay here. I have the money in the bank for the extension and I have comprehensive medical insurance, but ...

And even if I get another extension next month if Jomtien doesn't check insurance, or if I get a non-imm O and then another extension, there's no guarantee that next year a problem won't arise.

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get run over by a Chinese tour bus and all this nonsense will cease to matter.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

The agent who sent me the quote said the last column met the 40,000/ 400,000 required for O-A issues. 

Here is Pacific Cross' own list of their various policy names/lines that are certified for O-A purposes... Most of their policies are, except for the very lowest tier ones.

434548136_2019-11-0111_14_08.jpg.7f4b292cda0a5d50ae86c3cfec8c5098.jpg

Hopefully private insurance agents are not under the mistaken impression that only Pacific Cross' very poor coverage, high priced Platinum 1-3 line are acceptable for O-A purposes.

The Platinum line was created and priced just for the expat visa seeking population. The other Pacific Cross policies listed above, such as the Premier line and its rates shown below, as being acceptable for O-A purposes are their general public lines of cover, generally with better prices relative to the coverage offered.

The rates below are prior to any deductible discounts being applied.

465371600_PacificCrossPremierPremiums2019forALLAges.jpg.a104dcfe268de8ace563fee0c8ed0bad.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Completely agree.   Many pople came to Thailand using the O-A as an introduction to the country for retirement purposes. Many have now extened and lived here for decades and obviously aged.

There is no way these people can obtain any insurance presented by the authorities on the long stay website.  Making this rule apply to these people is cruel, unfealing and just plain wrong.

If they want to restrict retirment through insurance- the start date is 31 October 2019- and anyone who wants to now retire in Thailand under the O-A knows they need insurance. 

People  in the past did not have the requirement- most have no family left in their native country. Thailand has become home- they have houses, condos and contributed financially to Thailand.

Thailand needs to do the right thing now and everyone needs to remind them of this either thrpugh our Embassies; or writing directly to the Minstry of Foreign Affairs or the Thai Attoreny General.

That would be nice but more likely the people ruined by these changes are likely to be seen as foreign collateral damage.

54 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The OP wrote > Not interested in "a guy told me" or "there is a thread running" etc, interested in actual accounts where someone has presented to do their regular extension and been required to get insurance.

Indeed, Hayduke posted a first-hand report that his extension of permission to stay based on his original OA - retirement Visa was APPROVED at CW without being queried about health-insurance.  And we should be grateful that he posted his experience, as it is presently the ONLY first-hand report of such an approval.

Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen any first-hand reports of applicants being denied for lack of having health-insurance.  There have indeed been several hear-say reports of denial and some of these quite credible (as well as immigration officials being quoted that it is required now).

But it is getting kind of ridiculous as it is almost two weeks in effect and it's still not clear how the health-insurance requirement is enforced at the provincial IOs.

Theres reports all over the forum ?? 

Hua Hin, Jomtien, Chiang Mai.. 

And user Hayduke made lots of claims that contradicted each other.. Arrival dates which would be impossible to get the extension he claimed etc.. 

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen any first-hand reports of applicants being denied for lack of having health-insurance.  There have indeed been several hear-say reports of denial and some of these quite credible (as well as immigration officials being quoted that it is required now).

But it is getting kind of ridiculous as it is almost two weeks in effect and it's still not clear how the health-insurance requirement is enforced at the provincial IOs.

I agree and I think first-hand accounts are the most accurate. If you ask different immigration officials, you might get different answers.

Is there a possibility that different immigration offices are implementing things differently?

35 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Theres reports all over the forum ?? 

Hua Hin, Jomtien, Chiang Mai.. 

And user Hayduke made lots of claims that contradicted each other.. Arrival dates which would be impossible to get the extension he claimed etc.. 

It's better to wait for more first-hand account reports to come in from different immigration offices in Thailand to get a more accurate conclusion.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Which embassies in the region are easiest to get a SE Non Imm O for retirement and what's required? I know that's been asked and answered 1001 times, but the forum search function sucks and what was true a month ago has probably changed two or three times in the interim.

You might want to PM NancyL and UbonJoe, they seem to be experts in these.

Anyway, I feel that changing to Non-Imm O earlier is better than waiting after one year.

Who knows by that time, immigration would have plugged the loophole on O visa as well. Even if they do, hopefully they would make an exception to those who already have a non-O before the new law came into effect and applies only to new O visa applications.

Anyway, the choice is yours to make, I'm just giving you several possible future scenarios that might happen.

Edited by EricTh

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Even if they do, hopefully they would make an exception to those already have a non-O before the new law came into effect and applies only to new O visa applications.

One would have hoped they'd have made an exception for those who made their last O-A entry more than 10 years ago as many of us did.

Anyway I'm doing my renewal next month so maybe I'll get it without a problem and I can turn my attention to worrying about next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Since you will be doing your extension in Jomtien- there are other ways to get it done which I am sure you are aware already

I've never used "assistants"  for "assistance" so if you can recommend one or two, please pm me.

TIA.