Clarification of insurance and extensions since 31/10.

53 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Am I the only one who is confused by Non-O-A and Non-O with respect to retirement extensions?  I am on a Non-O for 11 years and don't really get why I am on a Non-O and not a Non-O-A. Both get one year retirement extensions right?

It depends on which one you applied for.. The O-A is called a retirement visa even though it's proper name doesn't mention retirement, only Long Stay. With the O-A during your first year you can exit the country as often as you like and each time you would get a new one year permission to stay that went beyond when the visa expired. Thus if you did an out and in just before the visa expired you could get a 2nd year permission to stay. No need to leave the country every 90 days during the two years, just do a report at immigrations.

once you reached the point where you needed to apply for an extension, UNTIL NOW, there was no difference between extending the permission to stay for the O or O-A visa entry.

you already should know how the O entry worked if that's what you had.

Edited by Suradit69

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

So the only choice left is to do an education visa which some people seem to be switching to but that seems to have perils too because most foreigners find Thai language challenging.

Not sure how long you would get by using ed visas and there would be no security concerning your continued stay ... although security is unlikely whatever you do now.

I think I would rather renew my (O-A based) extension another year. I have more than 10 years of successive extensions and don't want to break the chain. Although unlikely, there's a glimmer of a hope that they might (in future) consider some concessions for those who are here on extensions for many years and I would kick myself if I broke the chain of extensions based on retirement.

They did allow those who got their first  extension at Baht 200,000 in the bank (or was it Baht 400,000?) to continue using that amount annually as long as they had an unbroken chain of extensions. So why not let long stayers continue using the terms that existed when they did their first extension?

One can dream !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Really-  then why do Thais advertise as part of their culture, their love and care for the elderly?  Why are there thousands of elderly foreigners living in areas where there are nursing homes(Chiang Mai)  that have been advertised internationally for decades, especially to the Japanese and Europeans as well as the Middle East.

They advertise it is part of their culture to care for the elderly IF YOU ARE RICH. I doubt they will care for a poor foreigner who couldn't afford to pay for their services.

The introduction of the health insurance was due to the significant number of foreigners who passed away or have medical fees that were not paid to the hospitals.

Unfortunately, a few bad apples ruined the whole lot.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Am I the only one who is confused by Non-O-A and Non-O with respect to retirement extensions?  I am on a Non-O for 11 years and don't really get why I am on a Non-O and not a Non-O-A. Both get one year retirement extensions right?

No, you're not the only one. This is a source of confusion.

Most other visa have only one type eg. education, business.

You're really lucky you got an O instead of O-A visa.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

It depends on which one you applied for.. The O-A is called a retirement visa even though it's proper name doesn't mention retirement, only Long Stay. With the O-A during your first year you can exit the country as often as you like and each time you would get a new one year permission to stay that went beyond when the visa expired. Thus if you did an out and in just before the visa expired you could get a 2nd year permission to stay. No need to leave the country every 90 days during the two years, just do a report at immigrations.

once you reached the point where you needed to apply for an extension, UNTIL NOW, there was no difference between extending the permission to stay for the O or O-A visa entry.

you already should know how the O entry worked if that's what you had.

I just get my O extension and purchase a multi-entry. I just asked for a 'retirement visa' and the O is what I got. Who would not choose an O over an O-A?  I never have to go 'in-out' as you suggest for a O-A.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Not sure how long you would get by using ed visas and there would be no security concerning your continued stay ... although security is unlikely whatever you do now.

I think I would rather renew my (O-A based) extension another year. I have more than 10 years of successive extensions and don't want to break the chain. Although unlikely, there's a glimmer of a hope that they might (in future) consider some concessions for those who are here on extensions for many years and I would kick myself if I broke the chain of extensions based on retirement.

They did allow those who got their first  extension at Baht 200,000 in the bank (or was it Baht 400,000?) to continue using that amount annually as long as they had an unbroken chain of extensions. So why not let long stayers continue using the terms that existed when they did their first extension?

One can dream !

Funnily I had just been going through same thought process with my extension (based on original OA) due in March.

Think I'll hedge all bets...keep enough Baht (800k) in Thailand to meet usual extension requirements and also enough £ in UK bank to meet requirements for new O visa or tourist visa.

7 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I just get my O extension and purchase a multi-entry. I just asked for a 'retirement visa' and the O is what I got. Who would not choose an O over an O-A?  I never have to go 'in-out' as you suggest for a O-A.

Extensions of Stay are not either O or  O-A......You obtain an Extension on the Permit to Stay, the Permit to Stay can originate from an O or O-A Visa Entry.

Thai immigration often, nay, usually, refer to an Extension based on Retirement as a Retirement 'Visa'. It is not correct, but we need to deal with it. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Extensions of Stay are not either O or  O-A......You obtain an Extension on the Permit to Stay, the Permit to Stay can originate from an O or O-A Visa Entry. 

Thai immigration often, nay, usually, refer to an Extension based on Retirement as a Retirement 'Visa'. It is not correct, but we need to deal with it. 

So is the Non-O or the O-A a 'retirement' visa?  My Non-O has 'retirement' written on it at the front of my passport yet I see some folk calling a O-A 'retirement'.  I'm guessing both are on the basis of 'retirement'. If so... WHO would choose an O-A over a Non-O?

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

So is the Non-O or the O-A a 'retirement' visa?  My Non-O has 'retirement' written on it at the front of my passport yet I see some folk calling a O-A 'retirement'.  I'm guessing both are on the basis of 'retirement'. If so... WHO would choose an O-A over a Non-O?

My understanding is that if you don't meet the requirements for an O visa, such as married to a Thai or on the basis of having a Thai child , then your only option is an OA.

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The O-A is referred to as a retirement Visa by some Embassies, Australia I believe, the UK simply refers to it as a long stay Visa for over 50s. The  UK also refers to a Non-Imm-O based on  "Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days)" 

Domestic Thai immigration and many agents, refer to an Extension based on retirement as a retirement visa!  So take your pick. 

Up until Nov 1st, the O-A was a by far a more preferable Visa to have, with the  1 year stamp-in, multiple entries and 1 year validity. (And the ability to get 2 years out of it). Insurance obligation changed all that. 

I get one year 'stamp in', multi entry and one year validity. I still don't see the difference so I don't see why it was 'by far more preferable'.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I get one year 'stamp in', multi entry and one year validity. I still don't see the difference so I don't see why it was 'by far more preferable'.

Then I presume you have either a Non-Imm-O-A, a Non Imm O-X, or an Elite Visa.

Pre- insurance requirement, the O-A was a far more preferable Visa to a Non-Imm-O. It just required more effort. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Pre- insurance requirement, the O-A was a far more preferable Visa to a Non-Imm-O. It just required more effort. 

NO I have a Non-O. You keep saying 'far more preferable' Why?

Edited by BobBKK

13 minutes ago, gavlar said:

My understanding is that if you don't meet the requirements for an O visa, such as married to a Thai or on the basis of having a Thai child , then your only option is an OA.

I am retired and have a Thai wife with a type O visa.  Some time ago, CW told me I can choose whether to extend based on marriage or retirement any time I want and I have occasionally switched between the two. Retirement is of course easier paperwork, with apologies to the word 'easy'.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Being based full time in Thailand type O looks simpler to me. Type O is also the traditional retirement visa, at one point there was no such thing as an O-A or O-X.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Being based full time in Thailand type O looks simpler to me. Type O is also the traditional retirement visa, at one point there was no such thing as an O-A or O-X.

The O-A has been around a long time.  I originally lived here on Non-Imm-O Multiple, those were the days! Yes with the insurance obligation the 'O' plus Extension looks best.

Edited by jacko45k

21 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You must have an OA, you dont get a one year stay entering on an O visa.

Present at the border with an O visa, you will never get more than a 90 day stay.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rabas said:

Rabas. As you know you apply for the Non-O outside Thailand and they give you three months and then you apply for the one year extension based on retirement. Some on here are just ignorant of the process.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Rabas. As you know you apply for the Non-O outside Thailand and they give you three months and then you apply for the one year extension based on retirement. Some on here are just ignorant of the process.

Getting my head round this...I understand your Non O from outside Thailand gives 90 days..you can then get an extension/permission to stay (if you meet requirements).

With your new extension based on the original Non O do you have to still leave every 90 days, or can you live 365 days of the year and simply get a re entry permit when you need to exit for whatever reason.

Thanks for replies....

40 minutes ago, rabas said:

I am retired and have a Thai wife with a type O visa.  Some time ago, CW told me I can choose whether to extend based on marriage or retirement any time I want and I have occasionally switched between the two. Retirement is of course easier paperwork, with apologies to the word 'easy'.

Great....that's good to know. However under the new rules if your original visa that all your subsequent extensions (either "married" or "retirement") was an OA, would you not still be liable to get the new insurance?

17 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You can also get a non-O inside. In 2010 I let my visa (stay) expire and CW told me to go out and return with a 30 day entry after which they gave me a new type-O. That's the one I am on now.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, rabas said:

You can also get a non-O inside. In 2010 I let my visa (stay) expire and CW told me to go out and return with a 30 day entry after which they gave me a new type-O. That's the one I am on now.

Fine if your local immigration office is willing to process a non-O conversion. Mine (Rayong) is not.

• Thanks 1