Clarification of insurance and extensions since 31/10.

45 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

several quoted statements by Immigration officers that Health-Insurance is required for extensions based on an original OA Visa.

Statements of intent are deliberately excluded as it is the current situation, not some future situation. 

As has been made abundantly clear what is true today may not be true tomorrow.

Probably even more important is that what is absolute policy in one immigration office is not universal and different office may have an equal and completely opposite policy.

your above Statement is an example which has differing positions depending on the office.

32 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Please elaborate, your words seem to be suggesting that after the initial denials for pre 31/10 visas that there are sill refusals for no insurance.

Sorry when the deliberate telegram-style evoked confusion.

Elaborated version >

First entry on pre Oct 31 issued OA Visa > After initial denials by IO, which were later corrected during the IO Big Boss meeting on Nov 7 > since that date no reports of denial on entry for the insurance requirement

32 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Despite being asked to confirm that the original visa was indeed a non-OA I haven’t seen a follow up with proof. That is why I mentioned it as unconfirmed. Has there been proof?

The poster of that case [approved CW extension of stay for his pre Oct 31 OA - retirement Visa], was chased away from the Forum-thread because of the undiplomatic and borderline aggressive comments that demanded proof that his case was genuine.  And he got angry, 'up to you, if you do not believe me'.  He did post a follow-up a couple of days later reconfirming his case but indeed did not attach scans of his Visa-page and permission to stay stamp.  I consider his case highly credible, even though it is the ONLY first-hand approval report till now.

Edited by Peter Denis

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The poster of that case [approved CW extension of stay for his pre Oct 31 OA - retirement Visa], was chased away from the Forum-thread because of the undiplomatic and borderline aggressive comments that demanded proof that his case was genuine.  And he got angry, 'up to you, if you do not believe me'.  He did post a follow-up a couple of days later reconfirming his case but indeed did not attach scans of his Visa-page and permission to stay stamp.  I consider his case highly credible, even though it is the ONLY first-hand approval report till now.

So since it is contrary to everything else that has been posted and stated as absolute policy I still hold the option that it must be classed as unconfirmed, and even if it is proven correct without at least 1 or more will remain as an anomaly or mistake by the IO concerned

FWIW I know of several highly credible reports on other subjects that on investigation have been shown to be wrong. DNAMKIKT ???? 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Statements of intent are deliberately excluded as it is the current situation, not some future situation. 
As has been made abundantly clear what is true today may not be true tomorrow.
Probably even more important is that what is absolute policy in one immigration office is not universal and different office may have an equal and completely opposite policy.

your above Statement is an example which has differing positions depending on the office.

Not sure what you want to achieve with the above comments...

Do you want to deliberately exclude the statements of Immigration officials, who when queried about the health-insurance requirement say that it is required?  It is they who are the ones that ultimately decide whether your OA - retirement application for extension of stay will be approved or refused, so I think it is quite relevant to at least mention that that is the present narrative.

Indeed, different offices may have different policies, but that argument also applies to the 'confirmed cases'.

Once again not sure what you want to achieve with that comment.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Not sure what you want to achieve with the above comments...

Do you want to deliberately exclude the statements of Immigration officials, who when queried about the health-insurance requirement say that it is required?  It is they who are the ones that ultimately decide whether your OA - retirement application for extension of stay will be approved or refused, so I think it is quite relevant to at least mention that that is the present narrative.

Indeed, different offices may have different policies, but that argument also applies to the 'confirmed cases'.

Once again not sure what you want to achieve with that comment.

Simple policies change, statements of what you will need may not be what you actually do need on application.

I am deliberately excluding speculation or stated requirements for extensions from an OA for other reasons than retirement. For retirement there seems to be a universal policy for others reasons different offices, different policies.

Retirement is not the sole reason for extending from an OA if it were it would make the situation simpler.

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

I went to Ratchaburi Immigrations today and was told when my next extension of stay expires I will need health insurance for a new extension base on my O/A visa I received 13 years ago.  I also asked if I got a reentry permit would I have problems entering Thailand with it if my extension of stay has not expired.  I was told no you would not have any problems.

Seems to be the consensus now. 

When someone applies for a new extension from a previously held O-A they will need a Thai based Insurance Policy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I went to Ratchaburi Immigrations today and was told when my next extension of stay expires I will need health insurance for a new extension base on my O/A visa I received 13 years ago.  I also asked if I got a reentry permit would I have problems entering Thailand with it if my extension of stay has not expired.  I was told no you would not have any problems.

This seems to be fitting in with 'perceived wisdom'......

On 11/18/2019 at 5:52 AM, Peter Denis said:

Try instead of "was chased away from the Forum-thread because of the undiplomatic and borderline aggressive comments that demanded proof that his case was genuine" the alternative and more accurate 'was gently suggested that as people do sometimes make mistakes in belief of O for retirement OA for retirement classes, and as it was counter to the perceived understanding of the IOs and the written law, it would be helpful if the initial visa and entry could be demonstrated'. 

At which point yes he spat the dummy and never factually established it ???? Leading me to wonder if the suspicion was correct. 

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Try instead of "was chased away from the Forum-thread because of the undiplomatic and borderline aggressive comments that demanded proof that his case was genuine" the alternative and more accurate 'was gently suggested that as people do sometimes make mistakes in belief of O for retirement OA for retirement classes, and as it was counter to the perceived understanding of the IOs and the written law, it would be helpful if the initial visa and entry could be demonstrated'.

If the 'gentle suggestion' was phrased as you put it now, it might have resulted in him posting additional detail.

So let's agree that we disagree. ????

• Like 1

On 16 November 2019 at 7:51 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Visas can never be extended. You always have to get a new visa.

On entry the immigration officers (RTP) issue permission to stay (it isn't a visa)

The permission to stay given for entering with your Non immigrant visa with the correct paperwork and money in the bank can be extended for a year on the basis of being married to a Thai national.

I already know the "permission to stay stuff" why do people get pleasure from correcting people

the bottom paragraph was what I was talking about not the rest

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, brianj1964 said:
On 11/16/2019 at 7:51 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

The permission to stay given for entering with your Non immigrant visa with the correct paperwork and money in the bank can be extended for a year on the basis of being married to a Thai national.

I already know the "permission to stay stuff" why do people get pleasure from correcting people

the bottom paragraph was what I was talking about not the rest 

You talked about getting a visa. You asked if it could be extended. It cannot.

You did not ask about extending a permission to stay. However I answered both points.

If you already know about the “permission to stay stuff” did you need to ask? and if you did I have already answered your question.

Thailand is unique in its visas and permissions to stay they have different rules getting the terms right means you get correct answers. 

I/we have no idea if you are confused, not aware of the difference or just lazy and can’t be bothered to make clear what you want to know.

My Cristal ball is in the repair shop at the moment 

• Like 1