TM30 on a Tourist Visa?

I am on an extension based upon retirement and will be going back in UK tomorrow. There I will try to get 6 month Multi entry tourist visa before I return to Thailand. If I was returning on the retirement extension I would need to get TM.30 completed - But do I need to do this if I return on a tourist visa?

TM30 has nothing to do with your visa. Many posters here say as long as you have no interaction with Immigration you not need to fill in a TM30.

But if you stay in a Hotel, then it's not your problem anyway, because the hotel should fill the TM30!

TM30 is "only" a problem for people who not stay in hotels. This the reason most tourists don't care and don't need to know about it!

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon the office you would be doing something at.

If you do not apply for 30 day extensions you will not need to worry about it being done.

Thanks UbonJoe - I live in Bangkok and hence CW would be he immigration office.

The bottom line is that because all foreigners need a TM.30 wherever they stay they always need the TM.30 to be completed. Normally this would be completed in the hotel for a tourist, but in my case the  owner of the apartments should complete my TM.30. If the owner does this then I would not need to visit CW and If they do not do this then (theoretically) I should visit CW to complete a TM.30 - either way a TM.30 needs competing on any return back into Thailand with 24 hrs. But what you are really saying is that if there is no TM.30 done at all and since there is no 90 day reports with a tourist visa and no visits to CW and no inspection of passport they will not see there is no TM.30 missing in passport or missing entries from hotels / long term apartment not completing TM.30's. However If at the end of the 6/8 months Tourist Visa and if I did want to extend for an extra 30 days then at this point they would see no TM.30 and hence then this is where the problem is identified. Therefore if I wanted to get the extension at the end of 6/8 months I should do the TM.30 at immigration after every 24 hrs of entry back into Thailand - Have I got this right?

3 hours ago, spambot said:

Therefore if I wanted to get the extension at the end of 6/8 months I should do the TM.30 at immigration after every 24 hrs of entry back into Thailand - Have I got this right?

Not “every”. Just make sure a report is made by someone for the last entry before you apply for the extension.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Not “every”. Just make sure a report is made by someone for the last entry before you apply for the extension.

Ahh - OK. - But doesn't that mean that there will be a gap in the TM.30's on the previous trips in / out when they look at my passport on the extension?

4 hours ago, spambot said:

Thanks UbonJoe - I live in Bangkok and hence CW would be he immigration office.

The bottom line is that because all foreigners need a TM.30 wherever they stay they always need the TM.30 to be completed. Normally this would be completed in the hotel for a tourist, but in my case the  owner of the apartments should complete my TM.30. If the owner does this then I would not need to visit CW and If they do not do this then (theoretically) I should visit CW to complete a TM.30 - either way a TM.30 needs competing on any return back into Thailand with 24 hrs. But what you are really saying is that if there is no TM.30 done at all and since there is no 90 day reports with a tourist visa and no visits to CW and no inspection of passport they will not see there is no TM.30 missing in passport or missing entries from hotels / long term apartment not completing TM.30's. However If at the end of the 6/8 months Tourist Visa and if I did want to extend for an extra 30 days then at this point they would see no TM.30 and hence then this is where the problem is identified. Therefore if I wanted to get the extension at the end of 6/8 months I should do the TM.30 at immigration after every 24 hrs of entry back into Thailand - Have I got this right?

TM30 doesn't appear or get put in your passport. You might be thinking of the TM 28.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, spambot said:

Ahh - OK. - But doesn't that mean that there will be a gap in the TM.30's on the previous trips in / out when they look at my passport on the extension?

Yes, but any gaps are irrelevant. A stay ends when you leave the country as do any address reporting laws. A new stay starts on entry when the laws kick in as if it was your first ever entry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spambot said:

I did my last extension based on retirement Oct 8, CW.  Had never done a tm30 in 7 yrs here. I fly in out every couple of weeks. Did ONE tm30 after my last reentry to Los just prior to visit CW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I did my last extension based on retirement Oct 8, CW.  Had never done a tm30 in 7 yrs here. I fly in out every couple of weeks. Did ONE tm30 after my last reentry to Los just prior to visit CW.

Thanks for that - Can assume there was no problem with the gaps prior to this?

8 hours ago, spambot said:

Thanks for the response - I live in a 6 month term rented apartment on a contract. 

Tourists don't live in Thailand; they merely come to visit.

If you mention to the Immigration Officer that you are living in Thailand, they may deny you entry with a Tourist Visa.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:45 AM, spambot said:

Thanks for the response - I live in a 6 month term rented apartment on a contract. 

Why don't you return using a re-entry permit? Why give up an extension based on retirement? The TM30 is a piece of cake. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

TM30 doesn't appear or get put in your passport. You might be thinking of the TM 28.

Last year I returned on Reentry Permit (Retirement Extension) and went to my local Immigration with my wife (householder/owner) to file a TM30. WAs told that, if returning to same address a TM30 was not required.

This October I entered on a Visa Exempt got 30 day stay. Went to local Immigration and filed a TM30 (due to the resurgence by Immigration to apply the rule).

The IO asked where the landlord was. Gave her copy of wife's ID and Tabien Bahn and told her my wife was ill in bed (truth). Application accepted and receipt stapled into my PP.

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Would that also be the case if you travelled in country and used hotels and then did a tm30(for my condo) @ CW only after last hotel?

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Last year I returned on Reentry Permit (Retirement Extension) and went to my local Immigration with my wife (householder/owner) to file a TM30. WAs told that, if returning to same address a TM30 was not required.

This October I entered on a Visa Exempt got 30 day stay. Went to local Immigration and filed a TM30 (due to the resurgence by Immigration to apply the rule).

The IO asked where the landlord was. Gave her copy of wife's ID and Tabien Bahn and told her my wife was ill in bed (truth). Application accepted and receipt stapled into my PP.

TM30 is the responsibiliy of the landlord/house owner and does not need the 'foreigner' to attend Immigration so why would anything go in your passport.

The TM28 is the resposibility of the foreigner to report that he has returned to that address after being awsy from that address for more than 24 hours. You get a receipt to say you have done the report and it goes in your passport.

There was a report on TV that the TM28 was no longer required but most likely all Imm' offices do it different.

23 hours ago, spambot said:

Your TM30 will ONLY be checked when you apply at your provincial IO for a service that requires your address (e.g. an extension of stay or a residence permit).  And if they check (some do / some don't) they are ONLY looking whether a TM30 has been filed from the place where you are currently staying.

Re the gaps > Your provincial IO CAN consult the nation-wide IO TM30 database, and any TM30s that have been filed on-line of you staying in Thailand with your present entry-card (TM6) will pop-up if they do.  But even if they do that and gaps are there, that doesn't mean anything.  Because you could have stayed in another province, and the place where you stayed could have filed the TM30 manually or by post.  And these manual TM30s are not inputted in the IO TM30 database.  So your TM30 history is not checked, and if they check it's only whether a current TM30 has been filed.    

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why don't you return using a re-entry permit? Why give up an extension based on retirement? The TM30 is a piece of cake. 

OP writes that he is on an extension based upon retirement and will be going back in UK tomorrow.

As Max69xl remarked, there should be a good reason for you to give up the advantage of such an extension based on retirement.  TM30 is a non-issue.

If you not have already left Thailand without getting a re-entry permit, do provide some more details so that TVF members can provide you with best advice.

- Are you on an extension based on an original O or OA Visa?

- What is the last day of your present permission to stay?

- Are there specific reasons you want to come back on an METV instead of extending your extension of stay?

i too am interested.  Previously on my trips to BKK when on SETV i used AirBNB

and for the addresses i put in my AirBnB stays without the landlord getting a copy of my passport.

Everytime i had applied for extension, i put in the same address as the AirBNB and that was fine.  Am I missing something here? 

18 hours ago, flipper2222222 said:

this reads to me that tourists who stay less than 90 days don't need to report. 

am I reading it correctly?

thanks

Tourists normally don't own property in Thailand.  The owner of the place where the tourist is staying (be it a hotel, condo, house of girlfriend) is required to report the tourist is staying there using a TM30.

So a tourist doesn't have to worry, and normally will never even know that such a thing exists because it is not his responsibility.  Only time he might be queried about it is when applying for an extension of stay at a provincial IO.  However, as TM30 compliance is not enforced in all provinces, it's well possible that it is not even checked even then. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I have my TM30 Receipt of Notification stapled in my passport. 

From your hotel or the condo you rent or from your wifes house?

Just asking because we travel a lot and if the hotel we stay in does a TM30 they don't give me anything to put in my passport. If we rent a room for a couple of nights and the condo admin does a TM30 they dont give us anything to put in my passport. However the first time ( wife ) we did a TM30 for the second house we have I got a receipt to say I had reported my change of address. At the same time the IO said no need to do anything again unless you change address permanently.

Edited by overherebc

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

From your hotel or the condo you rent or from your wifes house?

Just asking because we travel a lot and if the hotel we stay in does a TM30 they don't give me anything to put in my passport. If we rent a room for a couple of nights and the condo admin does a TM30 they dont give us anything to put in my passport. However the first time ( wife ) we did a TM30 for the second house we have I got a receipt to say I had reported my change of address. At the same time the IO said no need to do anything again unless you change address permanently.

I self reported my TM30 at Jomtien Immigration when I changed condo, the TM28 is normally used when moving permanently to another province. Not many immigration offices enforces the TM28. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I self reported my TM30 at Jomtien Immigration when I changed condo, the TM28 is normally used when moving permanently to another province. Not many immigration offices enforces the TM28. 

That's why I asked.

If the average Joe Bloggs or Wang Fang Hi comes to Thailand for 3 weeks holiday then goes home after moving hotel 3 or 4 times during the 3 weeks they are not not going to get anything to staple in their passport. When they get home and anyone who has been reading reports about TM30 reports asks them 'did you have to do a TM30?  Their answer is going to be   'what's a TM30???'

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

That's why I asked.

If the average Joe Bloggs or Wang Fang Hi comes to Thailand for 3 weeks holiday then goes home after moving hotel 3 or 4 times during the 3 weeks they are not not going to get anything to staple in their passport. When they get home and anyone who has been reading reports about TM30 reports asks them 'did you have to do a TM30?  Their answer is going to be   'what's a TM30???'

Don't compare a tourist with an expat. Tourists never have to think about the TM30 report. It's not their responsibility to submit a TM30. Understand? It's another story with long term residents. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Don't compare a tourist with an expat. Tourists never have to think about the TM30 report. It's not their responsibility to submit a TM30. Understand? It's another story with long term residents. 

Visa status is irrelevant. The same laws apply to ‘tourists’ as they do to so-called expats. 

If you’re a ‘tourist’ and the owner or the tenant of a property immigration may consider the ‘tourist’ responsible for filing the TM.30.

The law was never intended for the foreigner to self-report regardless of the reason for their stay.

• Thanks 2

On 11/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, flipper2222222 said:

this reads to me that tourists who stay less than 90 days don't need to report. 

am I reading it correctly?

thanks

The way I read it, is that people on tourist visa, education visa or the other categories mentioned, are not bothered.

So, in my interpretation, if I stay in my self-owned apartment, only one time notification.

Question :  if someone is staying on a NON-O visa, does the above apply to such person ? 

Edited by KKr

46 minutes ago, KKr said:

The way I read it, is that people on tourist visa, education visa or the other categories mentioned, are not bothered.

So, in my interpretation, if I stay in my self-owned apartment, only one time notification.

Question :  if someone is staying on a NON-O visa, does the above apply to such person ? 

Only tourists (on visa exempt or TR Visa), staying in hotels or guesthouses doesn't have to think about the TM30. It's because hotels and guesthouses are by law required to submit the TM30 in their behalf. People like expats who stays here long term might have to do it. It depends on the immigration office in their province. Some don't require it when travelling inside Thailand, and some do.