TM30 on a Tourist Visa?

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Only tourists (on visa exempt or TR Visa), staying in hotels or guesthouses doesn't have to think about the TM30. It's because hotels and guesthouses are by law required to submit the TM30 in their behalf. People like expats who stays here long term might have to do it. It depends on the immigration office in their province. Some don't require it when travelling inside Thailand, and some do. 

According to immigration also e-visa, business visa and others exempt.

Screenshot_20191111-161609_LINE.jpg.b2b9591a72f63dabd5795d8ce925b321.jpg

15 minutes ago, KKr said:

According to immigration also e-visa, business visa and others exempt.

That has nothing to do with TM30 reporting under section 38 of the immigration act.

It is for a TM28 report used to report a change of address. under section 37. But the exemption is only for the report of staying in another province for more than 24 hours that needs to be done within 48 hours.

4 hours ago, KKr said:

The official web announcement is contradictory with section 37 sub 2. Sub 3, sub 4.

Just forget about the TM28 unless the immigration office in the new province asks for it. I have read reports about people going to the new immigration office with both the TM28 and TM30 forms,and the officer just throw the TM28 in the waste basket. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, Peter Denis said:

OP writes that he is on an extension based upon retirement and will be going back in UK tomorrow.

As Max69xl remarked, there should be a good reason for you to give up the advantage of such an extension based on retirement.  TM30 is a non-issue.

If you not have already left Thailand without getting a re-entry permit, do provide some more details so that TVF members can provide you with best advice.

- Are you on an extension based on an original O or OA Visa?

- What is the last day of your present permission to stay?

- Are there specific reasons you want to come back on an METV instead of extending your extension of stay?

Thanks for that Peter,

I am now back in the UK and to fully answer your questions:

• I was on O Visa extension based upon retirement.
  • Last date permission to stay was January 19th 2020
  • I did not get a re-entry permit.
  • I have a flight booked to return to Thailand 10th Dec on a single tourist visa (yet to apply for).
  • I did not expect to be back in Thailand for the full 12 months for an extension to be fully useful.
  • While I was going to apply for the 8 month option on Tourist visa my circumstances have changed I have now decided I should get 60 days from a single tourist visa with an option for an extra 30 days more extension should I need this, but my reentry permit gave me only 6 weeks.

I came back to settle a legal dispute at court, which now looks like could take up most of 2020. I will return and get my things from Thailand and give notice on apartment and sit it out in the UK until the legal future looks a little clearer.

I will then return to S.E Asia after the legal dispute is settled, but the forced exit I hope will be the jolt I need to climb some different hills and when I return and stay Philippines and Vietnam for just a few years as a means of comparison before I actually do return to Thailand.

On a personal note I have been in Thailand for 10 years and I am like most others here on this forum I love the free and easy life of what this provides, but have always known it was a gift in time that may one day disappear and I am just grateful that I ever managed to find at all. I now temper this with a feeling of uncertainty and like all of us old guys realise we can not control an ever changing landscapes of immigration packaged in 'where's Waldorf' explanations and wondering if its time to pack that empty suitcase cos the dream is over. And while this post started as an outreach for how to follow the rules, now back in the UK realise that I did spend way too much time attempting to understand and comply with these rules - trying to hang on in there - Cos that is what you have to do when remaining as an ex-pat in Thailand.

Thank you once again for your generosity for helping me answer the original question - I appreciated that.  

7 minutes ago, spambot said:

Thanks for that Peter,

I am now back in the UK and to fully answer your questions:

• I was on O Visa extension based upon retirement.
  • Last date permission to stay was January 19th 2020
  • I did not get a re-entry permit.
  • I have a flight booked to return to Thailand 10th Dec on a single tourist visa (yet to apply for).
  • I did not expect to be back in Thailand for the full 12 months for an extension to be fully useful.
  • While I was going to apply for the 8 month option on Tourist visa my circumstances have changed I have now decided I should get 60 days from a single tourist visa with an option for an extra 30 days more extension should I need this, but my reentry permit gave me only 6 weeks.

I came back to settle a legal dispute at court, which now looks like could take up most of 2020. I will return and get my things from Thailand and give notice on apartment and sit it out in the UK until the legal future looks a little clearer.

I will then return to S.E Asia after the legal dispute is settled, but the forced exit I hope will be the jolt I need to climb some different hills and when I return and stay Philippines and Vietnam for just a few years as a means of comparison before I actually do return to Thailand.

On a personal note I have been in Thailand for 10 years and I am like most others here on this forum I love the free and easy life of what this provides, but have always known it was a gift in time that may one day disappear and I am just grateful that I ever managed to find at all. I now temper this with a feeling of uncertainty and like all of us old guys realise we can not control an ever changing landscapes of immigration packaged in 'where's Waldorf' explanations and wondering if its time to pack that empty suitcase cos the dream is over. And while this post started as an outreach for how to follow the rules, now back in the UK realise that I did spend way too much time attempting to understand and comply with these rules - trying to hang on in there - Cos that is what you have to do when remaining as an ex-pat in Thailand.

Thank you once again for your generosity for helping me answer the original question - I appreciated that.  

If we're just talking money, the 60 days tourist Visa cost money, the 30 days extension cost another 1900 baht. For a total of 90 days.

A re-entry permit would have cost you 1000 baht, and a 1 year extension 1900 baht. For a total of 1 year. That's about same cost. And you still could have left when your business was finished. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spambot said:

Hi Spambot,

thanks for replying, as well as sharing some insightful comments and personal experience with living in Thailand. 

If you do not need to stay for 8 months on your return in December, and 3 months is sufficient then a single entry tourist visa - as you envisaged - is most probably the best way to go.

Even if it turns out that you want to stay longer after having extended it, you can still hop the border and return Visa exempt (possibly applying for a Non Imm O in Thailand) or apply at a thai Embassy/consulate for another tourist Visa or a Non Imm O.

In case you worry about the crack-down on non-genuine tourists that stayed 'too long' in Thailand > you have nothing to fear, because you stayed legally in Thailand on the correct Visa, so you start with a fresh board when entering on Visa exempts and Tourist Visas.

Navigating the thai immigration seas is a complex undertaking, but luckily there are a lot of helpful people on the Thai Visa Forum that can help you out when you are confused or need information.

For all things Visa-related > ask @ubonjoewho never fails to respond with correct, understandable advice.

Cheers and best of luck! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Even if it turns out that you want to stay longer after having extended it, you can still hop the border and return Visa exempt (possibly applying for a Non Imm O in Thailand) or apply at a thai Embassy/consulate for another tourist Visa or a Non Imm O.

In case you worry about the crack-down on non-genuine tourists that stayed 'too long' in Thailand > you have nothing to fear, because you stayed legally in Thailand on the correct Visa, so you start with a fresh board when entering on Visa exempts and Tourist Visas.

Hi Peter,

That was a very nice reply - Thank you.

The info about the other options is really good advice. Also thank you for the comment about starting afresh from previously having the right visa is an extremely valuable insight because it gives the confidence to act rather than becoming locked into believing inconsistency is the biggest danger to success.

Thanks again

• Like 1