ได้ definition

tgeezer

Rather than find a matching word for ได้ I would like to encourage people to see how the dictionary defines the word. 

ได้ ก. รับมาหรือตกมาเป็นของตัว ตัว means ผม ดีฉัน ฉัน เรา เขา เธอ ท่าน ฯลฯ , the subject of ได้ 

มา shows that time has passed after รับ or ตก both of those verbs are passive, meaning that whatever it is, it has happened to the subject.

eg. รับ- เขาได้เงิน (เขาเป็นเจ้าของเงิน) ตก - เขาได้ลูก (เขาเป็นเจ้าของลูก) ได้แผล (ผิวหนังเขาแตกแยกออก) ; (next part) 

ใช้ประกอบท้ายคำกริยา มีความหมายต่าง ๆ แล้วแต่ความแวดล้อม คือ อาจ, สามารถ, เช่น เดินได้ เขียนได้; สำเร็จผล เช่น สอบได้อนุญาต เช่น ลงมือกินได้, ไปได้. 

That is it for spoken Thai. They are all easy to assume and if you misinterpret อนุญาต (allow) as สามารถ (able to) no harm done, which is in the nature of Thai. 

So if you feel that ได้ is appropriate then “chuck It in”.  

The next part of the definition follows (ไว) meaning ไวยากรณ์ไทย this says that before a verb ได้ shows that verb to be in the past and after a noun ได้ shows that the noun is the object of the verb. เงินได้ money received.  Both of those are obvious.  There are many words Formed with ได้ and they are all defined. This means to me that their meaning may not be easily found.  รายได้ for example where ราย has to be taken as meaning money or benefit. 

I am hoping that someone might like to join in on this quest because the dictionary generally uses the language properly and it can be reassuring to know that if one can do that there is a greater chance of being understood. 

รายได้ is the opposite of รายจ่าย
which could all be a contraction of 

รายการ ได้   รายการ จ่าย

รายรับ for received is also used 

เงินได้ for income is heard too

I have just expended two hours on a reply and now it is lost, I need a word processor this damn Safari programme is not up to the job. 

I will keep it short. 

It would not surprise me if people say รายการได้/จ่าย because it is logical in context.   In the context of a noun like expenditure being required รายจ่าย is used but when a list of expenditures is required รายการจ่าย is equally understandable. So to debate meanings without context is not my aim. 

The context I am using is the RID because I believe that if we discussed definitions more we would learn more. 

“What does this mean” is not a good question because there are often many possibilities. The first place to look is the RID then having decided on a meaning check the English if you like but often it isn’t required. 

Take the topic งง which is 1. ฉงน, คิดไม่ออกเพราะยุ่งยากซับซ้อน , ทำอะไรไม่ได้ถูกเพราะยังตั้งสติไม่อยู่ 2. อาการทึนเกิดเพราะหัวหรือบริเวณหน้าได้รับความกระทบกระหทื่อนอย่างแรวเป็นต้น 

By following the trail of researching other words like ฉงน for example we can learn what the meaning is to a native speaker and release ourselves from the English meanings which T-E dictionaries bind us. 

The earlier this process is adopted in our education the less we will be instrumental in changing the meanings of words. 

Tgeezer, I applaud your efforts to distinguish between the action verb ได้ and the usage of the word as a grammatical or aspect marker. I think this distinction is important to help us Thai language learners understand how to comprehend and communicate in the language. Thai contains a bunch of these markers including เข้า, ออา, ไป, มา, จะ, เอา, and อยู่ etc.

Thank you for raising this issue.  

I guess that By the time that you noticed the typo you had been deprived of the edit function so allow me to correct ออา is ออก. 

If others found this topic useful I recommend royin.go.th/dictionary. 

Archived