New UK Passport Visa Moved - Have to carry old pasport

I went to Jomtien to move the old passport information to my new UK passport. I also extended my annual retirement visa  and did my 90 day report at the same time. Everything was fine, but I got back the new passport with the old passport attached. Inside the old passport was the TM30. I was told I had to carry both passports around until I left and re-entered the country.

I have no intention of leaving the country in the next 12 months.

It is not a big deal, but does anyone know why the TM30 is in the old passport and I need to carry both passports?

Thanks for your help in advance

Jip99, thanks for the reply. Not too sure what you are getting at though.

I carry my passport for hotel check-ins within this province. I also carry my passport around quite often as I travel from here to Issan quite often and am often stopped by police/military at their roadblocks. I am not sure if they need to see my passport, but I thrust  that and my driving licenses (car and bike) at them anyway.

On my last trip to Mukdahan I was stopped 3 times - twice going there and once coming back. I cannot think that giving the officers 2 passports is going to make this experience any more pleassant - can you.

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Struggling to think of the only times you will need to carry the old passport.

Only 90 day reporting comes to mind.

I never showed mine when doing 90 day reports as they already knew. However, there were a few times I had to show my old one.  Can't remember where but maybe at the bank, dept of labour when getting  a new WP, tax office, renewing driver's license.

Showing the police, yes once when the local police came to check where I lived. 

I'd never show a ttaggic cop my passport , as in 25 years, never carry  a passport when not needed.

• Like 1

Neeranam, thanks for the reply. I think I will go back to immigration and ask them. When I travel out of the area I think the traffic cops and/or army could always demand to see my passport. I am supposed to carry it with me at all times in theory, so it could be a problem if I cannot produce it.

It is no major hassle carrying 2 passports, I thought someone would reply explaining why, but it seems it is not as common as I thought it would be.

Anyway, I will go back to immigration and I will post here to let people know why we have to carry 2 pasports at times.