BANGKOK
ExpatOK

Is This the Death Knell for the Cheap Charlies in Thailand?

54 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

nice profile pic

555 - I think it is a discrase

24 minutes ago, buick said:

there is 'flat broke' and 'cheap charlie'.  flat broke are history, they can't get a visa (some, married to a thai, can't put 400,000thb in a bank).  cheap charlie is another thing, as noted by another, many cheap charlie's actually have money and can afford the deposit required for the visa.  they'll still try to get their costs for housing, food, and entertainment to be as low as possible.  and that is pretty easy here in thailand.

my father and my best friend are both cheap charlies (they live in USA).  i'm well versed in how they operate.

You don't have to put 400K in the bank if married to a Thai, one can transfer in 40K per month also...

• Thanks 1

There are actually more now than ever, with XE as it is, most have seen their incomes almost half and daily costs rising....those that had new pick ups and the latest phones are now scuttling around on a rented moped ecking out bargains.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You notice more and more leaving Thailand. How exactly. Are you doing a survey at the airport?

He gets his secret information on the whereabouts and criminal reports from a certain YouTube channel i am not allowed to mention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Feigning poverty is not a bad strategy for acceptance in rural Thailand. You're perceived as more humble, more approachable, and you're less likely to trigger class resentment, or get hit up for a loan. Don't look down on Cheap Charlies; some of us are just faking it.

Well Said!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Feigning poverty is not a bad strategy for acceptance in rural Thailand. You're perceived as more humble, more approachable, and you're less likely to trigger class resentment, or get hit up for a loan. Don't look down on Cheap Charlies; some of us are just faking it.

I'm not faking it !

Yet i totally agree with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

It's a lot easier to spot a naked girl in a gogo bar than a genuine bargain in Big C.

True. Anything on special offer in most supermarkets means that somebody somewhere has been paying too much or the goods are reaching their sell by date ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1