Is This the Death Knell for the Cheap Charlies in Thailand?

ExpatOK

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soi Buhakao 4k fan rooms above run down bars will be all empty next year. The desperate pensioners will be hard pressed to even pay for a bus ticket to phnom pen and secure a lease and new visa

Its A good cull IMO but awfully bad news for cambodia who will change their own cheap charlie visa quick smart when the poor expats start to clog up their unpaid hospital rooms as well

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Soi Buhakao 4k fan rooms above run down bars will be all empty next year. The desperate pensioners will be hard pressed to even pay for a bus ticket to phnom pen and secure a lease and new visa

Its A good cull IMO but awfully bad news for cambodia who will change their own cheap charlie visa quick smart when the poor expats start to clog up their unpaid hospital rooms as well

Hahaha ..people like you just love putting people down. I pay less than 2,500 baht for two rooms with aircon inc leccy and water with an outside patio/drinking /cooking/eating/hammock area big enough to have a party. Yes I speak Thai, yes I speak Isaan Kmer/Laos but really there is no need. I can walk to soi Buakhao in 30 minutes. Big C /KFC/Burger King in less than 10 minutes and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in 5 minutes (for which I have health insurance).

I feel myself getting upset again so I am off to comment on moderating so that I can be put back in my box with all the doors and windows shut so that I may laugh insanely to myself. Sorry Charlie but no ill feeling intended ...

12 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Hahaha ..people like you just love putting people down. I pay less than 2,500 baht for two rooms with aircon inc leccy and water with an outside patio/drinking /cooking/eating/hammock area big enough to have a party. Yes I speak Thai, yes I speak Isaan Kmer/Laos but really there is no need. I can walk to soi Buakhao in 30 minutes. Big C /KFC/Burger King in less than 10 minutes and Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in 5 minutes (for which I have health insurance).

I feel myself getting upset again so I am off to comment on moderating so that I can be put back in my box with all the doors and windows shut so that I may laugh insanely to myself. Sorry Charlie but no ill feeling intended ...

Have you ever lived in Isaan?

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Enjoy ????

You must be proud 

shack.jpg

Hahahaha Is that a picture from inside your brain? I would hate to have such a negative attitude to life. I am very happy where I am which must really upset you. I get my pleasure from the people around me having normal day to day fun. Whereas you seem to be the opposite. Which is OK by me of course. Upto you..

16 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Yes Jeremia, of course you do, I believe every word.

23 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

So you pay less than $3 a day for your <deleted>hole and you expect us to believe you have ever seen the inside of a KFC/Burger King ?

BHAHAHAHAAAH!

3 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

I notice more and more Cheap Charlies leaving Thailand.

You joined less than week ago, and you are already breathlessly doomsday posting.  ????   Maybe slow it down.

BTW I got a good deal on Lazada for these crank baits.

HTB1AILtainrK1Rjy1Xcq6yeDVXaR.jpg

Where does everyone get these "facts" that people are leaving. I do not think anyone knows anything about that myself, except for the Thais with access to immigration records. Cheap charlies could be on the rise for all we know. 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I suppose I could be called a Cheap Charlie. My GF cuts my hair for me, and buys secondhand clothes for me. I don't squander money on expensive meals. Just once in a while, as a treat. If I'm buying a big ticket item, I look for the best value, or buy used if it is only a couple of months old.

I don't feel any need to impress friends or neighbors with my possessions. As the last time I was in debt was 1974, my philosophy is working for me.

I regard educating my Thai GF it is better to be a saver than a debtor as a triumph. She gets it now. My father taught me, and I'm passing it on.

good post- 

you don't need millions to be happy-

Just call me Parsimony Pete ... I'm 68 and no longer Raucous Pete.

I don't pay rent as I own my own place -- so far it's saved me 1.2 million baht, and I couldn't be happier. (Rent in my mooban for my kind of place is around 11,000 baht a month.)

I quit drinking (boozing might be a better term) and smoking a few years back (after a heart attack), but had been fairly quiet on the bar front for some time before that. These days I might have a single beer in a beer bar once or twice a week - but that's it. I enjoy an oil massage twice a week (1200 baht with happy ending). So, that's the entertainment side. (I don't have cable - torrents keep me very happy.)

I buy most of my food already prepared, and I would spend roughly 5,000 baht a month (includes the occasional burger or pizza). My tastes are simple so no need for expensive dining. Motorcycle running costs on average 600 baht a month. Utilities about 800-900 a month (power bill goes up in the hot season, of course). I think that's about it. Internet is 600-odd. All up, without rent, I guess I can live a very comfortable and contented life for around 13,000 baht a month. How does that stack up on the Cheap Charlie front?

8 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Totally agree. I ENJOY my life here. Whenever I fancy Thai food I will eat it where Motorcy taxis etc eat. I don't give a toss what farang think of me. I do,however, enjoy interacting with Isaan Thais whilst ordering the food and just generally having a smile on my face and having a laugh at myself when I get mixed up with words. My most common mistake is asking for Mau Hok rather than Hau Mok .... (just waiting for a linguistic spanking now but buckit!). It is so bloody easy to live cheaply here and still be happy! Too many miserable <snip>around that would complain at a balloon party at the quality of the food!!

Would rather spend two months per trip in Thailand and se  Asia than be a two week millionaire

9 hours ago, meand said:

Where does everyone get these "facts" that people are leaving. I do not think anyone knows anything about that myself, except for the Thais with access to immigration records. Cheap charlies could be on the rise for all we know. 

Anecdotal reports that less farang this year mainly due to the exchange rate and Immigration dark cloud.

Funny enough less 2 week millionaires this year, due to exchange rate apparently

When you say you 'notice' more and more cheap Charlies leaving Thailand, I am presuming you're sitting at the airport and adding a tick every time you see a 'cheap Charlie' going through passport control.

The whole word is becoming more expensive and immigration control is a global thing, and, of course, the strong baht is hurting some expats. Some will go, most will find a way to stay, after all, this is paradise, is it not?

10 hours ago, madmen said:

So you pay less than $3 a day for your <deleted>hole and you expect us to believe you have ever seen the inside of a KFC/Burger King ?

BHAHAHAHAAAH!

Who wants to eat at KFC/Burger King? Opportunities for obesity.

The salad bar at Tops in Chiang Rai is tops. Three or four different kinds of lettuce. Green, yellow and red fried capsicum. Onion, tomato, water chestnut and sweet corn.

Less than 100 baht. I top it off with kimchi and olives stuffed with pimento.

My GF can cook mussuman curry, pad siew gai, rice with shrimp, crumbed fish, and pork steak with mashed potato and stir-fried vegetables. She does an omelet for my breakfast every second day. She will bulk it up with smoked salmon occasionally.

One can eat and live very well in Thailand as a Cheap Charlie. All it takes is a bit of research and forward planning. However, if KFC, Burger King and those golden arches are your yardstick of culinary excellence in Thailand or elsewhere, I feel sorry for you.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Who wants to eat at KFC/Burger King? Opportunities for obesity.

The salad bar at Tops in Chiang Rai is tops. Three or four different kinds of lettuce. Green, yellow and red fried capsicum. Onion, tomato, water chestnut and sweet corn.

Less than 100 baht. I top it off with kimchi and olives stuffed with pimento.

My GF can cook mussuman curry, pad siew gai, rice with shrimp, crumbed fish, and pork steak with mashed potato and stir-fried vegetables. She does an omelet for my breakfast every second day. She will bulk it up with smoked salmon occasionally.

One can eat and live very well in Thailand as a Cheap Charlie. All it takes is a bit of research and forward planning. However, if KFC, Burger King and those golden arches are your yardstick of culinary excellence in Thailand or elsewhere, I feel sorry for you.

2 Ozzie’s at it and no mention of a T bone ? 

Just now, Olmate said:

2 Ozzie’s at it and no mention of a T bone ? 

I eat Gippsland eye fillet when I am back in Oz. The beef in Thailand is poor quality, unless you buy imported stuff at Makro or Rimping. I don't bother.

Same as wine here. Reds you can buy for less than $10  in Oz are $30 here.

Archived