Is This the Death Knell for the Cheap Charlies in Thailand?

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

And just where did you get that lot for 89b ??? ...........TELL MEEEEEEEE !!!!

The answer is on the MUG at Cheap Charlies 😉

Edited by BestB
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose I could be called a Cheap Charlie. My GF cuts my hair for me, and buys secondhand clothes for me. I don't squander money on expensive meals. Just once in a while, as a treat. If I'm buying a

I take it from you post that you consider yourself a Cheap Charlie. So why not leave now before you find it too expensive and difficult to enjoy Thailand and leave us others alone. Thanks.

nice profile pic

Posted Images

Just now, BestB said:

The answer is on the MUG at Cheap Charlies 😉

Yeah I got that but its quite a big country though eh ?

As we share the name, reckon I would get a discount ? 😉

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Yeah I got that but its quite a big country though eh ?

As we share the name, reckon I would get a discount ? 😉

Yes you can, but only if you apply for a membership card😂

1 hour ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I have greater fun spotting a bargain in Big C than seeing a naked girl in an agogo but that is just me.

How to know when you have been here too long.

I measure the cost of living by the cost of pu$$y. The price of gogo girls is now beyond the reach of cheap charlies.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I suppose I could be called a Cheap Charlie. My GF cuts my hair for me, and buys secondhand clothes for me. I don't squander money on expensive meals. Just once in a while, as a treat. If I'm buying a big ticket item, I look for the best value, or buy used if it is only a couple of months old.

I don't feel any need to impress friends or neighbors with my possessions. As the last time I was in debt was 1974, my philosophy is working for me.

I regard educating my Thai GF it is better to be a saver than a debtor as a triumph. She gets it now. My father taught me, and I'm passing it on.

Couldn't agree more, even down to the Dad teaching. I call myself, and so does my GF a CAREFUL Charlie. One of our favourite sayings is 'When it's gone (the money), it's gone'. 

You know I could live a good life here being a cheap Charlie. Take my beers to the beach, A decent room with air con and free internet can be had here for 4500bht/mo about 3km from a nice beach and it has a small outdoor space where a gas burner is permitted for cooking. Quiet and laid back here. A nice soapie now and then, this isn't how I live but see nothing wrong with it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Totally agree. I ENJOY my life here. Whenever I fancy Thai food I will eat it where Motorcy taxis etc eat. I don't give a toss what farang think of me. I do,however, enjoy interacting with Isaan Thais whilst ordering the food and just generally having a smile on my face and having a laugh at myself when I get mixed up with words. My most common mistake is asking for Mau Hok rather than Hau Mok .... (just waiting for a linguistic spanking now but buckit!). It is so bloody easy to live cheaply here and still be happy! Too many miserable bastards around that would complain at a balloon party at the quality of the food!!

Do not worry, i struggle with English sometimes. The other week jumped in the pool and screamed out" F....k this deep is so pool." Naturally got a few stares and a few laughs

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Totally agree. I ENJOY my life here. Whenever I fancy Thai food I will eat it where Motorcy taxis etc eat. I don't give a toss what farang think of me. I do,however, enjoy interacting with Isaan Thais whilst ordering the food and just generally having a smile on my face and having a laugh at myself when I get mixed up with words. My most common mistake is asking for Mau Hok rather than Hau Mok .... (just waiting for a linguistic spanking now but buckit!). It is so bloody easy to live cheaply here and still be happy! Too many miserable <snip>around that would complain at a balloon party at the quality of the food!!

When its good its good ! I was walking in the village market recently, spied some nice looking bbq skewers with peppers onions and chunks of pork, 10b each !! had a couple of those(4), pk of sticky rice 5 baht and was well happy, tasty , thoroughly enjoyed it. Mrs was happy as no cooking when we got home..5555

• Like 2
Just now, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

The membership card only gives you free refills on the coffee/tea .....daily specials are all 99 baht....even if they are 99 baht ...if you see what I mean..

In that case Charlie might have to give it a miss 😉

• Haha 2