Is This the Death Knell for the Cheap Charlies in Thailand?

ExpatOK

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

the way the term cheap charlie gets banded around amuses and confuses me; is it an insult or a way someone looks on others in order to feel superior? what is a cheap charlie?

i know a foreign guy lives round my way, he wears the same very basic clothing every day, fills water bottles from water fountains and eats at the cheapest food stalls, it's i guess, all he can afford, does that make him a cheap charlie?

I know people who have a lot of money but are careful with it, they dont throw it away unnecessarily, they understand the value of money - are they cheap charlies?

in the end of the day everyone works hard for their money and how they choose to spend it is nothing to do with anyone else. live and let live.

i know a downright wealthy man that flat out refuses to spend big,

he dismissed a resturant that wanted 120 baht for a big leo,

he took a 300 baht room on a bike tour even tho the fanciest hotel wouldnt

make a dent in his income, let alone wealth.

he worked hard all his life, so i guess he know value of money

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2019 at 11:12 AM, CNXexpat said:

Also a rich man can be a Cheap Charlie if he has the money but is not willing to spend it. Perhaps you mean the expats and tourists with not so much money. 

Especially in Pattaya you can find many men they are not willing to spend a lot for food and accommodation but spend 1,500 - 3,000 Baht per day for beer and girls. 

Now I know why I always lose 10 Kg during a 1 month holiday.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, ivor bigun said:

Dont know ime not a cheap charlie and dont know any .

A lot of these so called Cheap Charlies you don't know are not necessarily as cheap as you may have been led to believe they are. They keep quiet about their money.

It's the Flash Harry types (I'm considerably richer than you) who are often here one day and mysteriously gone the next.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Pffft - Big spender you!..Thai food just before Areca Lodge 20 baht a portion... and bloody delicious it is too!!

It's quite a way from Areca Lodge. It's in Soi Bhukow next to Sutus Court Hotel.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, jastheace said:

I hear the UK has a vacancy for a PM, if you fancy a job for a couple of months.

don't think it would last for more than a few months though going on current trends.

Similar to what I thought of saying.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:24 PM, madmen said:

Soi Buhakao 4k fan rooms above run down bars will be all empty next year. The desperate pensioners will be hard pressed to even pay for a bus ticket to phnom pen and secure a lease and new visa

Its A good cull IMO but awfully bad news for cambodia who will change their own cheap charlie visa quick smart when the poor expats start to clog up their unpaid hospital rooms as well

You have to pay for medical treatment all over SE Asia.

My friend fell and broke a leg in his hotel bathroom. They would not treat him at the Pattaya hospital he went to till they had his Visa card or access to the funds in that of someone else.

The hospitals in Cambodia are probably no less charitable.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The smile they give me is the "he's probably got money and I might be able to get some of it" smile.

AKA the Pattaya Smile.

It disappears like a shadow when they realise that your generosity (stupidity) has reached its limits.

Still possible for a single Farang to live comfortably in Rural Thailand on less than 20K Bht per month. I know a few of them and I stay in contact with them by way of e-mail.
They have lived like this for ages in Thailand and have gone semi-native. They have adopted the "mai pen rai" religion and practise it with conviction. They extend their annual visa's with Connections, Thai-Woodoo and the help of Buddha.
They all have one thing in common: Once a major medical issue arises, it's "game over"! At this point it will show if they have adopted the "may pen rai" religion fully, or if they start to look for some "low cost medical treatement".

Archived