Jump to content

Is This the Death Knell for the Cheap Charlies in Thailand?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose I could be called a Cheap Charlie. My GF cuts my hair for me, and buys secondhand clothes for me. I don't squander money on expensive meals. Just once in a while, as a treat. If I'm buying a

I take it from you post that you consider yourself a Cheap Charlie. So why not leave now before you find it too expensive and difficult to enjoy Thailand and leave us others alone. Thanks.

nice profile pic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

I notice more and more Cheap Charlies leaving Thailand.

 

You joined less than week ago, and you are already breathlessly doomsday posting.  😮   Maybe slow it down.

BTW I got a good deal on Lazada for these crank baits.

 

HTB1AILtainrK1Rjy1Xcq6yeDVXaR.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where does everyone get these "facts" that people are leaving. I do not think anyone knows anything about that myself, except for the Thais with access to immigration records. Cheap charlies could be on the rise for all we know. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just call me Parsimony Pete ... I'm 68 and no longer Raucous Pete.

 

I don't pay rent as I own my own place -- so far it's saved me 1.2 million baht, and I couldn't be happier. (Rent in my mooban for my kind of place is around 11,000 baht a month.)

 

I quit drinking (boozing might be a better term) and smoking a few years back (after a heart attack), but had been fairly quiet on the bar front for some time before that. These days I might have a single beer in a beer bar once or twice a week - but that's it. I enjoy an oil massage twice a week (1200 baht with happy ending). So, that's the entertainment side. (I don't have cable - torrents keep me very happy.)

 

I buy most of my food already prepared, and I would spend roughly 5,000 baht a month (includes the occasional burger or pizza). My tastes are simple so no need for expensive dining. Motorcycle running costs on average 600 baht a month. Utilities about 800-900 a month (power bill goes up in the hot season, of course). I think that's about it. Internet is 600-odd. All up, without rent, I guess I can live a very comfortable and contented life for around 13,000 baht a month. How does that stack up on the Cheap Charlie front?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Totally agree. I ENJOY my life here. Whenever I fancy Thai food I will eat it where Motorcy taxis etc eat. I don't give a toss what farang think of me. I do,however, enjoy interacting with Isaan Thais whilst ordering the food and just generally having a smile on my face and having a laugh at myself when I get mixed up with words. My most common mistake is asking for Mau Hok rather than Hau Mok .... (just waiting for a linguistic spanking now but buckit!). It is so bloody easy to live cheaply here and still be happy! Too many miserable <snip>around that would complain at a balloon party at the quality of the food!!

Would rather spend two months per trip in Thailand and se  Asia than be a two week millionaire

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, meand said:

Where does everyone get these "facts" that people are leaving. I do not think anyone knows anything about that myself, except for the Thais with access to immigration records. Cheap charlies could be on the rise for all we know. 

Anecdotal reports that less farang this year mainly due to the exchange rate and Immigration dark cloud.

 

Funny enough less 2 week millionaires this year, due to exchange rate apparently

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say you 'notice' more and more cheap Charlies leaving Thailand, I am presuming you're sitting at the airport and adding a tick every time you see a 'cheap Charlie' going through passport control.

 

The whole word is becoming more expensive and immigration control is a global thing, and, of course, the strong baht is hurting some expats. Some will go, most will find a way to stay, after all, this is paradise, is it not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, madmen said:

So you pay less than $3 a day for your <deleted>hole and you expect us to believe you have ever seen the inside of a KFC/Burger King ?

 

BHAHAHAHAAAH!

Who wants to eat at KFC/Burger King? Opportunities for obesity.

The salad bar at Tops in Chiang Rai is tops. Three or four different kinds of lettuce. Green, yellow and red fried capsicum. Onion, tomato, water chestnut and sweet corn.

Less than 100 baht. I top it off with kimchi and olives stuffed with pimento.

My GF can cook mussuman curry, pad siew gai, rice with shrimp, crumbed fish, and pork steak with mashed potato and stir-fried vegetables. She does an omelet for my breakfast every second day. She will bulk it up with smoked salmon occasionally.

One can eat and live very well in Thailand as a Cheap Charlie. All it takes is a bit of research and forward planning. However, if KFC, Burger King and those golden arches are your yardstick of culinary excellence in Thailand or elsewhere, I feel sorry for you.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Who wants to eat at KFC/Burger King? Opportunities for obesity.

The salad bar at Tops in Chiang Rai is tops. Three or four different kinds of lettuce. Green, yellow and red fried capsicum. Onion, tomato, water chestnut and sweet corn.

Less than 100 baht. I top it off with kimchi and olives stuffed with pimento.

My GF can cook mussuman curry, pad siew gai, rice with shrimp, crumbed fish, and pork steak with mashed potato and stir-fried vegetables. She does an omelet for my breakfast every second day. She will bulk it up with smoked salmon occasionally.

One can eat and live very well in Thailand as a Cheap Charlie. All it takes is a bit of research and forward planning. However, if KFC, Burger King and those golden arches are your yardstick of culinary excellence in Thailand or elsewhere, I feel sorry for you.

2 Ozzie’s at it and no mention of a T bone ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Olmate said:

2 Ozzie’s at it and no mention of a T bone ? 

I eat Gippsland eye fillet when I am back in Oz. The beef in Thailand is poor quality, unless you buy imported stuff at Makro or Rimping. I don't bother.

Same as wine here. Reds you can buy for less than $10  in Oz are $30 here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...