BANGKOK
JetsetBkk

Laptop Unbootable - Drive Shows As Uninitialised

A friend gave me his old Laptop drive because it became Unbootable - it simply didn't start up one day.

There is data on it he would like to recover.

I put the drive in a SATA-USB bridge external box and connected it to my laptop's USB port. The usual "USB connected" sound was heard, but no drive was seen in Disk Management. After a lot of tries of powering it up while monitoring Disk Management, it eventually showed up as "Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialised":

1174781882_Unknowndisk.jpg.44ac94f0accc59e9e2718ceca2a5b154.jpg

The question is: what can be done to recover any data?

Some help sites say if you initialise it, the data will be gone.

Some say you can initialise it and format it and use a file recovery tool.

Some say use SpinRite.

Any suggestions?

If the data is really important do a disk image before trying anything. 

• Like 1

Harddrive is gone, just have gone through the same funeral. If you want to recover data, you looking at around 7000-10000 baht depending on the size of hard drive and can only be done in labs in BKK.

If you want the name of the lab i used, just pm me, they did excellent job recovering, all data recovered, crappy service though but data is what was important 

• Like 1

Boot from a Linux USB flash drive. Use Puppy or like that to navigate. Pull the data off the drive. Do a quick low level format. Reinstall OS. If you don't have windows about. DL Linux mint and see if you can get it to run on the HDD.

Sorry you lost all your JAV

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

If the data is really important do a disk image before trying anything. 

That did cross my mind as I do my usual backups by booting Acronis from a thumb drive. 

It depends if Acronis can detect the "uninitialised" [as far as Windows is concerned] drive.

9 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Boot from a Linux USB flash drive. Use Puppy or like that to navigate. Pull the data off the drive. Do a quick low level format. Reinstall OS. If you don't have windows about. DL Linux mint and see if you can get it to run of the HDD.

Yes. And if Linux can't find it, then it really is toast.

12 minutes ago, BestB said:

Harddrive is gone, just have gone through the same funeral. If you want to recover data, you looking at around 7000-10000 baht depending on the size of hard drive and can only be done in labs in BKK.

If you want the name of the lab i used, just pm me, they did excellent job recovering, all data recovered, crappy service though but data is what was important 

I'll ask my friend if he willing to pay!

Try to use R-Studio software if it can recover data. Might be, might not be. Copies data bit by bit out so it might not recover all files and possibly some could be corrupt. Recovered data from my drives in the past with it, but can't guarantee it would work for you...

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

At first clone the whole drive. This could be done using a linux live cd and the command "dd", as explained for example here (i don't know if there is a windows tool which can do the same): https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unix-linux-dd-create-make-disk-image-commands/

Then try data recovery tools and see what you will get

There is a Windows program that can clone the drive.  It's called "Partition Master" and can still be found by it's older name "Partition Magic".  The program can be downloaded from the web...just do a search. 

Plug the drive into a second spot on a PC or as an external USB enclosure. Boot up the main computer, run Partition Master and then you can clone/copy the so-called bad drive to anywhere with a space large enough to hold the data...

Edited by mosan
clarification
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Boot from a Linux USB flash drive. Use Puppy or like that to navigate. Pull the data off the drive. Do a quick low level format. Reinstall OS. If you don't have windows about. DL Linux mint and see if you can get it to run on the HDD.

Sorry you lost all your JAV

That's an idea - I have a bootable Linux on a thumb drive. Depends if it'll recognise the drive, of course.

• Like 1

It's prolly toast but worth booting from Linux flash. If you don't see it then oh well.

I'd toss it because it's suspect anyway. Maybe use it to run the OS only save data to external. But drives are cheap, just buy another.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mosan said:

There is a Windows program that can clone the drive.  It's called "Partition Master" and can still be found by it's older name "Partition Magic".  The program can be downloaded from the web...just do a search. 

Plug the drive into a second spot on a PC or as an external USB enclosure. Boot up the main computer, run Partition Master and then you can clone/copy the so-called bad drive to anywhere with a space large enough to hold the date...

I've got a bootable "Partition Wizard 9" from MiniTool on a thumb drive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It's prolly toast but worth booting from Linux flash. If you don't see it then oh well.

I'd toss it because it's suspect anyway. Maybe use it to run the OS only save data to external. But drives are cheap, just buy another.

Not worried about the drive, just want the data. Looks like Linux is the first thing to try.

• Like 1

If you do sh1+can the drive physically destroy it. You just never know...