Chiang Mai subdistrict to release 8,600 lanterns during Yi Peng festival

webfact

Chiang Mai subdistrict to release 8,600 lanterns during Yi Peng festival

By The Nation

800_a0ead674b5227f7.jpg?v=1573366831

The Choeng Doi subdistrict municipality in Chiang Mai province will continue to hold the Loy Krathong and Yi Peng lantern festival from November 10-12, as the area does not come under prohibited zones due to flight services, the top official for the area said.

Chitipon Sanrapang, the municipality chief executive, said the Choeng Doi area has been holding the Yi Peng festival every year. The municipality has been allowed to release 8,600 lanterns -- 5,000 lanterns under Choeng Doi administrative officials, 600 under Chiangmai Senkobfah Company, and 3,000 under other private companies. However, the private companies will release the lanterns outside the subdistricts.

A fire engine and ambulance will be on stand-by to deal with any emergencies.

157331106179.jpg

The lanterns used in the festival will be able to float for about 10 minutes before the lights go out and they fall to the ground. They will be cleared by the cleaning team before morning. He also said locals had been urged to bring lanterns that could land in their own property or in front of their houses.

Some 15,000 people are expected to take part in the festival.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/travel/30378207

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-11

5,000 lanterns under Choeng Doi administrative officials, 600 under Chiangmai Senkobfah Company, and 3,000 under other private companies.

The corporatisation of culture could not be more clear!

Also if you talk to much older residents, they will tell you that there was never the release of lanterns on a massive scale. Only very few were released, mostly by temples.

So in the name of "progress" we get 8600 pieces of rubbish released simultaneously!!

48 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

151 cancelled or rescheduled flights.  Assuming 150 persons per flight means approximately 22,000 passengers inconvenienced so a few traditionalists can launch a flaming object into the skies.  This should certainly enhance the tourism numbers! 

yes think of the money, not the tradition or if the 22,000 visitors that wont get to see the tradition. ????

3 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

151 cancelled or rescheduled flights.  Assuming 150 persons per flight means approximately 22,000 passengers inconvenienced so a few traditionalists can launch a flaming object into the skies.  This should certainly enhance the tourism numbers! 

They do this every year.  It is no surprise and anyone with a brain would book their flights accordingly.  Ye Peng Festival is hardly a few traditionalists.  Look at the numbers. And, tourist in large numbers come FOR the festival, not inconvenienced by it.  I live in Doi Saket and was there, last night.  Huge numbers, as pictured, of people of many nationalities, and all having fun.
And, this particular event, as stated, does not interfere with the airport in any way.

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

The corporatisation of culture could not be more clear!

Also if you talk to much older residents, they will tell you that there was never the release of lanterns on a massive scale. Only very few were released, mostly by temples.

So in the name of "progress" we get 8600 pieces of rubbish released simultaneously!!

2011 MaeJo Dhamma Centre .......... 

17 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

More dumping to a land that already represents a dump site....

you light one, you pick one up should be the policy....

If you think you calling CM a dump why would you live here? I am sure you home country is begging for your opinion and expertise. 

On 11/11/2019 at 1:39 PM, holy cow cm said:

Even last night the planes were taking off and using a different flight exit plan. Big deal It is Loy Kratong. Banning lanterns up here is like saying we should be able to buy and drink alcohol at bars during different buddha holidays here. 

Wrong.  Landed at CNX from BKK last night (11 November) around 18:00.  It was the last incoming flight for the night.  While taxiing in, the last two departures of the night were taxiing to take off.  Was told by airport staff the airport would officially close at 19:00, but no more flights in or out were expected.  Large numbers of planes from multiple airlines parked on the tarmac awaiting takeoff Tuesday morning, presumably.

PS.  Lanterns can land while still burning.  If onto a wooden or thatched rooftop or other flammable structure, fires can start.  Maybe each lantern should carry a metal license tag, so those who send them up can pay any damages caused when they land.  Or just charge 5 or 10 Baht to buy the tags, with the funds used to pay for the damages, or to a worthy cause otherwise.

6 hours ago, Bruce404 said:

Wrong.  Landed at CNX from BKK last night (11 November) around 18:00.  It was the last incoming flight for the night.  While taxiing in, the last two departures of the night were taxiing to take off.  Was told by airport staff the airport would officially close at 19:00, but no more flights in or out were expected.  Large numbers of planes from multiple airlines parked on the tarmac awaiting takeoff Tuesday morning, presumably.

PS.  Lanterns can land while still burning.  If onto a wooden or thatched rooftop or other flammable structure, fires can start.  Maybe each lantern should carry a metal license tag, so those who send them up can pay any damages caused when they land.  Or just charge 5 or 10 Baht to buy the tags, with the funds used to pay for the damages, or to a worthy cause otherwise.

Thanks for your comments Bruce404. I have probably seen over 25+ Loy Kratong festivals over my time here. It would be either outlaw them all and kill the festival or let it go as usual as this is what it is all about. Although this year I only put a kratong in the water near my house for bad luck out good luck in with my family as I had to get up at 4am the next morning to travel out. That was a good enough feeling for me as you couldn't have paid me to go into town and be amongst the crowds this year. Take care and hope you had a good time on that night.

Archived