8 day overstay on 30 day exemption.

After 20 odd visits with no overstays I've completely overlooked my 30 day exemption ended 8 days ago. I'm now in chiang mai wondering whether I should visit immigration or just pay the overstay when I leave the country from savarnabhumi in 3 days. 

I understand the issues of checking in hotels if I wait to pay the overstay in the airport.

Any constructive advice appreciated.

• Haha 2

20,000 Baht maximum fine when you depart.

Many people have months of overstay and don't even care about if they get banned when they decide to leave. But if you stay longer than 3 months then it is a 1 year ban before you can come back to Thailand.

24 minutes ago, kilt said:

I don't understand... you want to go to immigration to turn yourself in and pay the fine you've accrued so far and yet you want to overstay even longer and remain until Nov 14... Will you tell them that? "Oh... and can I pay until Nov 14 as that's when I'm planning to leave"? How do you think that's going to go?

I will apply for a visa extension. It will cost more than the extra 3 days overstay but it will be safer.

23 hours ago, brobro2424 said:

I am not doubting the possibility but I imagine it would be pretty bad PR for flagging tourism industry to arrest someone volunteering themselves to an immigration office for an 8 day overstay. Shame I cant get it paid and out of the way before facing a full day of travel to the UK. Oh well...

There is always the possibility an agent could smooth the way... but have you  already had the 30 day extension?  I  expect domestic immigration would be obliged to detain you, and now things get difficult. Good luck....

Edited by jacko45k

On 11/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, EricTh said:

Leave the country as soon as possible and avoid being arrested which will have a heavy ban.

Pay the fine at the airport.

He'll have an overstay of potentially 11 days, there's no ban for that, unless arrested, you're right.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

Consider yourself lucky you are overstaying in Thailand, and not Indonesia. 

The overstay rate in Indonesia is 1 mill rupiah per day. 2.160 bath. And no silly 20.000 bath limit.

That adds up.

Who would want to overstay in Indonesia? Not me, that's for sure.

so funny

lots of people miffed that he got it done

what a bunch of doom sayers

well done that man fine paid 3rd dec expiry no worries now the danger begins twaddle

immigration just follows the stamps date its out of their hands done and dusted

nothing to gloat at here move along

try reading the post

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is always the possibility an agent could smooth the way... but have you  already had the 30 day extension?  I  expect domestic immigration would be obliged to detain you, and now things get difficult. Good luck....

now this guy is overstay

nigerian-caught-on-six-year-overstay

Edited by andy72

On 11/11/2019 at 2:33 PM, brobro2424 said:

In the end I used the visa service across the road.... Colonel Company, on the offchance that might smooth the passage. All went perfectly and done in about 40 mins. They sent me thru to the office area where I thought I would be receiving a telling-off but it was just so they could film me signing some invoices for 4000 baht overstay. 

15734574423160.jpg

That seems to be a one month extension from your last expiry date which is 3 Nov. So how much did you pay in total? Let me guess.

Fine 4000 baht

Extension for 1 month 1900 baht

Agent fee at least 2000 baht??? 

At least 8000 baht just so that you can leave in 3 days?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He'll have an overstay of potentially 11 days, there's no ban for that, unless arrested, you're right.

That's no ban for 11 days but there is a possibility of being arrested in a round-up by immigration .... it all depends on luck.

• Like 1

Immigration have been known to process an extension even though the applicant has a "short" overstay, so I guess the question is where they draw the line. A few days? A week? More, like in this case? Who could tell beforehand!

I think the OP was wise to check with an agent instead of just rocking up at the immigration office. Money well spent.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, brobro2424 said:

I am not doubting the possibility but I imagine it would be pretty bad PR for flagging tourism industry to arrest someone volunteering themselves to an immigration office for an 8 day overstay. Shame I cant get it paid and out of the way before facing a full day of travel to the UK. Oh well...

In their eyes  It would be good PA with a vinyl board and pointing at it with a stick and their photo OP look how clever we are " Another over-stayer caught"

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Immigration have been known to process an extension even though the applicant has a "short" overstay, so I guess the question is where they draw the line. A few days? A week? More, like in this case? Who could tell beforehand!

I think the OP was wise to check with an agent instead of just rocking up at the immigration office. Money well spent.

At least now we know that 8-10 days should be alright to ask for extension.

But for those who has already extended 1 month in the past and overstayed, it's better to leave the country as soon as possible.