Airbnb Guests Spent At Least THB808 billion at Restaurants and Cafes Globally in 2018

webfact

Airbnb Guests Spent At Least THB808 billion at Restaurants and Cafes Globally in 2018
In Thailand, Airbnb guests spent over THB6.8 billion at restaurants and cafes last year, spreading the benefits of tourism and helping to keep these economic impacts local.

ii_k2ogtrcp0.jpeg

THAILAND – November 11, 2019 - With over 7 million unique accommodations in 191 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes economic opportunity for hosts and the neighborhoods that welcome them, particularly local food establishments. According to new survey findings and an analysis of internal data released today, Airbnb’s guest community spent at least an estimated THB808 billion at restaurants and cafes in 2018* based on data for 46 countries and regions alone. If spending levels remain the same, Airbnb guests are estimated to spend over THB940 billion at restaurants and cafes in these same locations in 2019.

In Thailand, a country famous for its cuisine and culinary experiences, Airbnb guests spent more than THB6.8 billion at restaurants and cafes in 2018.

Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. For many travelers, belonging means experiencing a place through local foods and flavors by learning to cook a traditional recipe or discovering neighborhood restaurants and cafes, all while creating authentic memories and connections to a destination.

Unique aspects of the Airbnb community are helping to drive this spending to new places, forge offline connections and keep the benefits local.

• 84 percent of hosts say they recommend restaurants and cafes to guests, driving more people to visit places they might not otherwise discover online. Half of guests say they spent the money they saved by staying on Airbnb in the places they visited, multiplying the economic benefits of the Airbnb community beyond the platform.
  • On average Airbnb guests say 42 percent of their spending occurs in the neighborhoods where they stay, keeping the impacts local and expanding the economic benefits of travel and tourism outside of traditional tourism areas where other accommodation options are often concentrated.
  • That restaurants and cafes particularly benefit from these dynamics is no surprise: they are community gathering places, and 77 percent of guests say wanting to live like a local matters in their decision to use Airbnb.

The influx of tourism spending by Airbnb guests at restaurants and cafes is being felt around the world. In Europe, Airbnb guests spent at least an estimated THB356 billion at restaurants and cafes in 2018, including over THB87 billion in France, THB55 billion in Spain, and THB42 billion in Great Britain. In the Americas, Airbnb guests spent at least an estimated THB330 billion at restaurants and cafes in 2018, including about THB246 billion in the United States, THB32 billion in Canada, and THB21 billion in Mexico. In Asia, Airbnb guests spent at least an estimated THB78 billion at restaurants and cafes in 2018, including more than THB24 billion in Japan and THB16 billion in China. Airbnb guests spent an estimated THB36 billion at restaurants and cafes in Australia and New Zealand in 2018, and about THB5 billion in South Africa.

* 2018 estimated guest spending at restaurants and cafes in 46 countries and regions is based on internal Airbnb data and approximately 14,000 responses to a voluntary survey sent to a sample of Airbnb guest accounts that had taken a trip to those places in 2018. 2019 estimates are based on the 2018 spending levels and Airbnb internal data for January-October 2019 and October-December 2018 periods. All other percentages related to Airbnb host and guest behaviors are based on more than 237,000 responses to the same voluntary survey to sample of Airbnb guest accounts around the world. No payment or other incentive was provided in exchange for completing the survey.

2019-11-11

They would have spent the money no matter where they stayed. 

Do people stop eating and going out if they stay in a hotel ????

In reality, people staying at an airbnb have cooking facilities, so would probably cook for themselves and dine out less.

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

On average Airbnb guests say 42 percent of their spending occurs in the neighborhoods where they stay,

Are these foreign tourists or Thai tourists that are staying at these Airbnb places ? I would love to know the percentages here in Thailand .

should I fully trust data about the goodness of airbnb customers,  which have been raised & surveyed by airbnb themselves ?

But really, folks, do you think I am stupid ?

"In Thailand, a country famous for its cuisine and culinary experiences, Airbnb guests spent more than THB6.8 billion at restaurants and cafes in 2018."

At first glance, it comes with some logic, as people who don't sleep in the hotels don't participate in hotel's mostly included breakfasts and possible "all inclusive" dinners.  But, full stop, this surely does not run into "billions" of Thai Baht, if you had fed me with a double digit or even three digit "million", I would tend to believe it

34 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Are these foreign tourists or Thai tourists that are staying at these Airbnb places ? I would love to know the percentages here in Thailand .

In Asia the percentage would be in favour of local tourists mainly because of the language situation.

I have lived here in Chonburi for over 10 years and have done a couple of airbnb in Hua Hin, would that make me foreign or local?, nothing is ever simple.

I have also done a couple in China, the first was only in the Chinese language, we only did it because my niece speaks Chinese. The second was in a complex and the staff could handle other nationalities but I only saw other Asians, no westerners.

I one I have just been to in Vietnam, again I think only locals considering the standard. I didn't stay, went to a hotel as soon as I saw it.

The ones I use in Sheffield have a very high percentage of foreign visitors but up in the north of Scotland it is mostly people from the UK.

All very varied.

This "news article" and a similar one in The Nation are advertising press releases from Airbnb.  Supposed "data" supplied by Airbnb is extremely dubious, not credible and probably total bulls..t.

Airbnb having problems with many U.S. cities (including their home base of San Francisco).  Meanwhile Booking.com is capturing a lot of the home rental market.  Personally, I use Booking.com instead of Airbnb for apartment rentals when travelling in EU.  Better platform.

These articles are desperate marketing ploys to prop up the company before their IPO next year.  They probably sense their IPO will go the way of UBER, LYFT or even worse, WeWork.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

77 percent of guests say wanting to live like a local matters in their decision to use Airbnb.

I'll bet that locals don't spend their time/money in restaurants and cafes. I don't live in BKK, so I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Review :  Airbnb   

Reviews  4,868

Filter by:

Rating 

English 

Excellent:

12%

Great

3%

Average

2%

Poor

6%

Bad

76%

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

They would have spent the money no matter where they stayed. 

Do people stop eating and going out if they stay in a hotel ????

In reality, people staying at an airbnb have cooking facilities, so would probably cook for themselves and dine out less.

I own several AirBnbs (outside of Thailand, where it is legal) and can tell you that although I offer full stand alone kitchen facilities in all of my properties, maybe only 10% of guests cook at home. Those that do, mainly do so because they are health focused or have specific dietary requirements.

It depends on how the host markets the property. I encourage my guests to visit local establishments, and know most of the owners of those establishments by first name (no, I don't get commission).

In return for the steady flow of customers, restaurant owners and staff seem to treat my guests well and appreciate the business knowing it is coming from a local and the customers are travelers genuinely interested in the menu.

" Air bnb promotes economic opportunity for hosts and the neighbourhoods that welcome them , particularly food establishments "   In reality Air bnb promotes anything that makes them money , including rhetoric as above . ( what's wrong with the word ' restaurant ' , It's the same as driver partners instead of uber drivers ). 

Of course tourists and visitors create business in the localities they stay at ,  regardless of their type of accommodation .

It seems to me that those people would have to eat and drink no matter where they are or what their accommodation situation is, but Air B&B seems to be selling this idea as if almost all the money spent was extra cash put into the economy thanks to them.  I have nothing against Air B&B, but I don't like them trying to convince me of their benefit to the world with some BS marketing angle. There's a place for their service but not in condo buildings where permanent residences live who have no say in whether they want their building turned into a virtual hotel. 

AirBnb and  low mortgage rate (less than 4%) has made it possible for some people to accumulate assets and make people rich. Over the years I have accumulated three proprties on AirBnb - Last Vegas, Hawaii, and Benidorm. All have more than 60% occupancy and pays the mortgage, tax and management fees from rentals only - leaving me a few hundred dollars every mothe. In 15 years, those  assets will be fully paid  and be mine for nothing. Leveraging other people's money.

11 hours ago, madmen said:

And still the nonsense continues until it becomes "true"

Air Bnb is NOT ILLEGAL !!!! in any country including Thailand

It is illegal to rent a condo for less than one month in Thailand. So those short duration listings on Airbnb are illegal and there are hundreds of them in Thailand. Just look at The Base condo in Pattaya. It is now a hotel for Chinese. 

What the government, trying to forbid AirBnB, Grab and similar platforms, needs to understand is quite simple.

The worlds biggest hotel chain has NO ROOMS.
The worlds biggest taxi enterprise has NOT A SINGLE CAR. 

And this trend will get bigger and bigger, if Thailand likes/legalizes it - or not! 

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

It is illegal to rent a condo for less than one month in Thailand. So those short duration listings on Airbnb are illegal and there are hundreds of them in Thailand. Just look at The Base condo in Pattaya. It is now a hotel for Chinese. 

Air BNB the platform is not illegal. Your talking about something totally different

On 11/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, madmen said:

Air BNB the platform is not illegal. Your talking about something totally different

Where did I say Airbnb was illegal? It is illegal to rent a condo for less than one month in Thailand. A huge amount of illegal rentals are on Airbnb. There are signs all over thailand now in front on condos stateing the same. 

Archived