Thailand road carnage: A big problem that is only getting worse

webfact

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe it is time to devise a more comprehensive campaign, that would address the issue, and, hopefully, save people's lives. Bring in advisers from more advanced countries, where driving is a lot safer, or would asking other people for advice be seen as 'losing face'  ?

Thai driving is different, you can't ask others who don't understand this small point. 

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

The day a road police will be created .... things will change;

Is it police that make you a good driver or is it common sense and self preservation? Till they grasp this, forget it!

They should just copy what they do in western countries? How difficult is that? I can't understand really. Put in prison people driving under the influence and get their cars and driving licences. Fine heavily those speeding. If death happens in an accident put in jail who is responsible. Use technology etc...

Why are things so bad on Thai roads you ask...??? Simple.... There is absolutely no enforcement, or penalties for traffic violations.

As a Canadian expat living in Phuket for over the past 20+ years, I have never seen a police car out on patrol, or pulling someone over for a traffic violation. In fact, in over 20 yrs I have never seen a “Normal” police car on the roads of Phuket. Sorry, but a 15 year old beat up Isuzu pickup truck, or a 110cc Honda Dream, isn’t exactly what the boys in brown need to do their job.

Further, Thai society is such that the vast majority of Thai’s just don’t care. Sadly, “Apathy” seams to permeate every level of Thai society, when it comes to road safety.

Several years ago, my wife was involved in a car accident. Not her fault. She sustained a fractured C2 vertebrae and almost died. She now has to live the rest of her life with 2 Stainless Steel rods in her neck. 

Every time I climb behind the wheel of my car in Phuket, I feel that it’s more dangerous than the Helicopters I fly in the Persian Gulf... and one of the reasons I now drive a Volvo

If Thais are OK with killing and maiming each other on the roads then who are we to disagree?

I just don't understand why everyone is pointing the finger at government and law enforcement, as if it's their responsibility. It's the Thai people's responsibility to share the road in a responsible manner. They clearly can't be bothered driving safely so why not just let them at it?

6 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

the only thing they haven't tried is to get the police to enforce the laws. Need more cop cars and bikes on the road pulling people over rather than sitting on their ar-ses at checkpoints. Even at the checkpoints it wold be a simple task for the cops to walk around each car/bike and quickly see if it street legal

For example, in Europe, when they stop you at an checkpoint, they always ask for a driverlicense, at least.

Here they only ask "where are you going?"

Is that's the most important thing?

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

In Aus you have to get a learners permit and then log 50 hours of supervised driving do a hazard perception test before you can even try to get your license and once you have then there is 2 yrs as a probationary driver before a full license is issued ,could you imagine something like that here will never happen but would result in properly trained drivers .

The problem is that there are no properly driver instructors. ????

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

There's a red light near my house with a camera system. I got fined a couple of times and now I've noticed that almost everyone stops for yellow there. This proves that Thai drivers respond to persistent enforcement.

That's good to hear.

The cynic in me immediately suspects the fines are never paid. Hope that's not true.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A big problem that is only getting worse

It's going to get a lot worse,No good flapping the jaws about numbers all the time.It's the incompetent Government that Can't make the Cops do their job 24/7/365 to enforce All the Laws. Whenever the government (if they can't )make the laws enforced. Get Rid off them and vote for people who Can enforce the Laws.

How  frikkin hard  is it to make the Police do their  job, never seen a  patrol car stop for anything, too  busy speeding those VIP damn coaches  about.

They could make a fortune everyday until the message got rammed  home

Stop  hogging  the outside  lane, stop giving no signals, swerving in and out, queue  jumping, red  light jumping, parking where you want  inc the Police, no helmets, no tax , insurance licence.....Christ they could clean up in a few  days.then you have to close half of  the U turns  so you can only turn in one direction at a  time, the  opposite  carriage way has to u  turn half a  mile away..not ideal but  when your view is 100%  blocked due to other cars on the other carriageway trying to u turn at the same  time we  all know the consequences.

Thais have good roads but are not taught to use them just as Thais have good brains but are not taught to use them! Education! Education! Education!

....And the increasing unbridled and unashamed use of Smartphones while driving and riding motorbikes means that the carnage is bound to increase. I just hopeand pray that I can avoid it!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

despite campaigns to address the issue. 

Maybe try effective policing.  But pigs do fly here!

I've mentioned this before but getting a driving licence in Malaysia, a neighbour, is stricter than even the UK.

1.  Register with a government recognised driving school

2.  Only then can you apply for a 'learner licence'

3.  Only allowed to drive with a driving instructor with 'L' plates.

4.  Take a theory and 'on-road' driving test.

5.  If passed then you'll get your provisional licence and 'P' plates have to be shown.

6.  'P' plates for two years then take a further theory and road test.

7.  When passed, you will get your full licence.

During all this, you have penalty points.  If they are reduced to zero, then your licence is taken away and you have to start all over again.

It would be interesting to see the statistics on motorcyclist deaths where no helmet was worn, and deaths overall at night. It's why I avoid driving at night.

The majority of cars on the road have ABS as part of their safety equipment. I'd say motorbikes/scooters with ABS are in the minority.

Statistics can tell the authorities where policy should be directed, although there is little evidence of implementation.

6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

It will take some time before it gets better.

My impression is that Thailand has developed too quickly, suddenly there are too many cars on the road, without much driving education.

Their education,understanding  and intelligence certainly hasn’t developed 'too quickly' ..other than in the opposite direction.

8 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Thais have good roads but are not taught to use them just as Thais have good brains but are not taught to use them! Education! Education! Education!

....And the increasing unbridled and unashamed use of Smartphones while driving and riding motorbikes means that the carnage is bound to increase. I just hopeand pray that I can avoid it!

You do not have 'a good brain' if you need to be taught the simple and basic art of self preservation.

On roads lacking a kerb, I always insist on walking against the flow of traffic. "I'd prefer to see the vehicle that kills me," I'd jokily tell anyone who asked the reason why.

The joke is wearing thin. Twice in the last week alone, have had to shout a warning and take evasive action to avoid being struck by a motorcyclist veering towards me, eyes on his smartphone instead of the road ahead.

One can't help wondering how many pedestrians, and cyclists and motorcyclists ended up on the official killed-and-injured list as a result of such hare-brained behavior - and why the B in B do so little to curb it.

Archived