Thailand road carnage: A big problem that is only getting worse

webfact

Back 15 or 20 yrs the drivers were almost as bad but they were at least aware of what was going on around them. But nowadays with the popularity of the cell phone most are completely unaware of anything except the little screen in front of them. It is almost impossible to see a driver of a car or m/c that the driver doesn't have a cell phone stuck to there ear or texting. Nowadays many times you see 2 girls on there cell phone talking to each other and they are standing maybe 10 ft apart. It has become part of there culture and many are addicted to there phones and think they can't exist without them. I agree with a previous poster anyone caught on there phone while operating a car or m/c on there phone should have there phone taken away. I don't agree crush them first time but 1st time i week taken away, 2nd time 1 month and if caught 3rd time must watch phone being destroyed. Especialy operating m/c, how many times you see someone going down the road on a m/c operating one hand because talking on the phone with other hand. In Canada now if you get caught it's a heavy fine and you don't want to get caught driving no licence or no insurance. police watch and enforce the laws.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This stats look awfully low as I have always read it was around 20,000 plus dead annually.

These are car accident death rates in an international list I compiled - mostly from 2016 & some 2013. They do not include those that die in hospital from complications.

image.png.f2b695ede1afe1a69ff93dc24e5eff26.png

image.png

20 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe it is time to devise a more comprehensive campaign, that would address the issue, and, hopefully, save people's lives. Bring in advisers from more advanced countries, where driving is a lot safer, or would asking other people for advice be seen as 'losing face'  ?

Don't you mean bring in a whole new police force (from top to bottom) this is the only way to get rid of the corruption that has taken over the current police force and maybe a little more enforcement of the law would help!

20 hours ago, keith101 said:

In Aus you have to get a learners permit and then log 50 hours of supervised driving do a hazard perception test before you can even try to get your license and once you have then there is 2 yrs as a probationary driver before a full license is issued ,could you imagine something like that here will never happen but would result in properly trained drivers .

Why so? Seems a bit extreme for a developed country.

To kieth 101 

i have just supervised 3 sons and a daughter-in-law 

for their licence in  Australia 

the requirements for the licence 

120 hours supervision 100% itemised in special book even down to hours and minutes each trip ,”daytime or night time “ 

the hazard test 

after getting their licence for one year RED P plate ,can not have more than one passenger in the car unless family  cannot have a phone in the car at all 

after one year on the red ps 

then three years on GREEN Ps 

no alcohol at all

I just arrived in Thailand with my middle son ( I failed to mention all my family are Thais ) 

and driving from Bangkok to Burrirum he just kept comment on the bad driving all the way 

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Derek I’ve written the true license requirements  as off now  bit extreme ,especially when you actually the parent that has to keep all correct paper work 

also my comparison to the different police strategies Aus verses thai 

we have police cars everywhere 

any body caught doing a wheel spin driving stupid car impounded fo 30 days second offence car crushed 

22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe it is time to devise a more comprehensive campaign, that would address the issue, and, hopefully, save people's lives. Bring in advisers from more advanced countries, where driving is a lot safer, or would asking other people for advice be seen as 'losing face'  ?

good idea BUT just how does one get across HOW to drive to any Thai......who thinks HE can DRIVE...their brains just do not allow any influx of proper driving skills... !!!

9 hours ago, neeray said:

As a fellow Canadian, you and I both know that we would be at high risk of a stiff violation if we attempted to even drive one km down the road with a non-plated/uninsured vehicle. Or a vehicle that had blatant defects, unsafe load, occupant over-capacity, or if we drove on the wrong side of the road.

I once failed to renew my drivers licence on due date (2 days late). Cop in car ahead of me read my plate even though "reverse vision", he entered my number in his computer and it showed owner of the vehicle driving with an invalid licence (but vehicle was ok).

That turned into a very expensive day for me as I was not allowed to drive the vehicle one foot further. Hello Mr Tow Truck.

And that is how proactive police work should happen in Thailand !

well put and said....

I could just imagine the difficulty that Thais would have catching onto the concept of "roundabouts".

Roundabouts are becoming more common in my home country of Canada but I must admit, I'm generally quite uneasy going through them. I much prefer a 4-way stop (and we do stop!).

Okay. I've got my flack jacket on and I'm ready to be told I need to learn how to drive (despite my 55 years of experience and millions of miles of pretty much accident-free driving).

The real issue is Thailand and the Thai Government should not be crying about the milk which has boiled over!

The large majority of Thai drivers have ZERO respect for other road users on Thai roads. Period!

If you were to ask any Thai driver what the stopping distance is driving at "120 km/hour" how many could tell you?

The Thai driving road test needs drastic changes made so in 30 years Thai drivers will have respect for other road users, know about keeping a safe distance from the car in front, and know about stopping distance etc.

????????????

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This stats look awfully low as I have always read it was around 20,000 plus dead annually.

Total fabrication.  According to those stats 'only' nine people a day died on the roads last year.  Every year I've been here, the number has never been less than 50.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Easy to rectify that, if the will is there. The police just take the smartphone and crush it on the spot. Give the offender his/her SIM card.

It has always mystified me how Thais can walk with their backs to the traffic. Walking facing the traffic, I'd be tempted to carry a baseball bat with me.

If the will is there. . .  kind of says it all, unfortunately.

16 hours ago, HHTel said:

You may still get hit from behind.  Traffic goes in both directions here, especially m/bikes.

You're right. These days one needs eyes in the back of the head. Maybe somebody can invent and produce rearview mirror for us pedestrians to wear!

15 hours ago, Mingomania said:

Well, if the number of tickets a cop could write would reflect on his or her pay check it might make a difference... 

It does. 

Every ticket has a 5% paid to the officer when processed by the DLT.

THEN AGAIN.  

Every cash in hand paid fine is 100% into the officers pocket...

4 hours ago, linno2 said:

These are car accident death rates in an international list I compiled - mostly from 2016 & some 2013. They do not include those that die in hospital from complications.

image.png.f2b695ede1afe1a69ff93dc24e5eff26.png

image.png

AFAIK... well up until 8 months ago when I last looked, the Vietnamese have never, ever released any official road traffic accident statistics.

Let's Clean Up This Carnage. Here's my plan! 

1. all written tests for getting a driving test must be completed at Department of Transportation, NOT at private driving schools where they give you the answers. 

2. education for road safety is taught via youtube video at all mattyom schools and students are tested on it. 

3. traffic police must make "ticket quotas" every week. If they don't, they are suspended or employment terminated on bases of "job performance neglect". 

4. "driving is a full time job" campaign should utilize social media and TV and not stop until numbers drop to reasonable numbers. 

Any Questions? 

49 minutes ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

1. all written tests for getting a driving test must be completed at Department of Transportation, NOT at private driving schools where they give you the answers. 

2. education for road safety is taught via youtube video at all mattyom schools and students are tested on it. 

3. traffic police must make "ticket quotas" every week. If they don't, they are suspended or employment terminated on bases of "job performance neglect". 

4. "driving is a full time job" campaign should utilize social media and TV and not stop until numbers drop to reasonable numbers. 

Any Questions? 

What do you call reasonable?

If only the police cared, and the highway patrol was willing to engage in traffic safety. But the government will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends a trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I could just imagine the difficulty that Thais would have catching onto the concept of "roundabouts".

Roundabouts are becoming more common in my home country of Canada but I must admit, I'm generally quite uneasy going through them. I much prefer a 4-way stop (and we do stop!).

Okay. I've got my flack jacket on and I'm ready to be told I need to learn how to drive (despite my 55 years of experience and millions of miles of pretty much accident-free driving).

I have driven extensively in Canada and the U.S. and i understand why you are somewhat uncomfortable with Roundabouts when for the best part of your driving life you haven't experienced them.  I grew up a drove in the U.K. where Roundabouts are commonplace, so for me it's eesy peesy.   Your 4-way stops are fine because they more or less all have lights and you obey the law, as disiplined people do, but this is Thailand where people seem to be habitual law breakers....and not just on the road !  In Chiang Mai we only have one major size Roundabout and the Thai's just have no idea how to use it because they are used to crazy multiple 'U' Turns or just pretty much ignore Traffic Lights.

1 hour ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Any Questions? 

Yes; how will you stop people getting whatever they want by corrupt means, because that is what would happen.   Every 'Official' dealing with every measure you mention will be on the take, it's endemic from top to bottom.  Your plan would just become another gravy train like all others.

My plan is to continue to mind my own business and never try to impose my will or ideas on the Thai people. I will, however, try to get a Thai drivers license so that I can use it to drive in California should I go back there for a visit after my California drivers license expires.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK... well up until 8 months ago when I last looked, the Vietnamese have never, ever released any official road traffic accident statistics.

They almost all wear helmets in Vietnam and don’t drive too fast unless it’s on open roads. Having spent quite some time there I don’t see many accidents where in Thailand I see 2 - 3 per week.

Just saw a nasty one last night right in front of me where a big bike a-hole was zipping around everyone and smashed into a slower bike with a family on it. None of them had helmets and it was a bloody mess. I didn’t stick around to see how it turned out (it’s just another accident) but by the looks of the mess I wouldn’t be surprised if a one or two of them didn’t survive. But this is cheap life in Thailand and no one cares. And if they don’t care, I’m certainly not going to care for them. Let them die by the 1000s if that’s what they choose.

Archived