Anyone checked out these new TCL P8 TV"s yet? Pretty amazing!

giddyup

Don't know about that model, but I have been having trouble with the one I bought about 18 months ago. Can no longer watch Netflix on it due to a software problem - no problem with my Samsung. Messaged their service line many times and even had technicians round but to no avail. Said they needed to get the latest software update and would come back but it would take about 2 weeks to receive the update - can't they get the updates online? Many calls to the technicians later, still waiting for the problem to be fixed. It has been more than two months now. As a result of the runaround I have been given, I would never buy another TCL product. Their after sales service sucks. My experience with Samsung has been the polar opposite, very proactive, very helpful, etc.   

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Don't know about that model, but I have been having trouble with the one I bought about 18 months ago. Can no longer watch Netflix on it due to a software problem - no problem with my Samsung. Messaged their service line many times and even had technicians round but to no avail. Said they needed to get the latest software update and would come back but it would take about 2 weeks to receive the update - can't they get the updates online? Many calls to the technicians later, still waiting for the problem to be fixed. It has been more than two months now. As a result of the runaround I have been given, I would never buy another TCL product. Their after sales service sucks. My experience with Samsung has been the polar opposite, very proactive, very helpful, etc.   

And yet people seem to experience more problems with Samsung that just about any other brand.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

And yet people seem to experience more problems with Samsung that just about any other brand.

Probably many more people are buying Samsung, so with that much larger number of purchases, you are certainly going to get a larger number of complaints (unless the product is perfect, which is highly unlikely of any brand). It would be interesting to compare purchaser experience on a percentage scale for a full range of electrical/electronic products. I think that would give a more accurate picture.  

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Probably many more people are buying Samsung, so with that much larger number of purchases, you are certainly going to get a larger number of complaints (unless the product is perfect, which is highly unlikely of any brand). It would be interesting to compare purchaser experience on a percentage scale for a full range of electrical/electronic products. I think that would give a more accurate picture.  

I haven't read of too many complaints about the TCL brand, they are a big seller in the US and Asia, and like you say, no brand is perfect, but they do offer a 3 year warranty on their TV's. 

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yep, my 64 inch Samsung gave up the ghost after only 3 or 4 years.

Was bloody expensive as well.

At that price and with a 3 year warranty, you can't really go wrong.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

have a similar problem with my TCL and Netflix. I can work around it by resetting netflix and login again - after checking that the TV has logged in to the WiFi.

13 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

have a similar problem with my TCL and Netflix. I can work around it by resetting netflix and login again - after checking that the TV has logged in to the WiFi.

I'll try that. Do you have to do that each time?

I just managed to get through to their call center again after many, many attempts. They promised to look into it again and call me back tomorrow with a update. I am hopeful but will not hold my breath waiting. I'll let you know if I get the problem resolved. I posted on this problem before but received no response. I assume you are receiving the same error message.  

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It's amazing how TV prices have dropped recently. Saw this 65in TV in Powerbuy for under 15k. Even if it only last 2-3 years a great buy. I cry when i think what i paid 4-5 years ago.

I paid over $4000 for my first 42" Panasonic plasma, and that was just a monitor, I had to buy a set top box separately to get channels.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:13 PM, sweatalot said:

On 11/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, GarryP said:

I'll try that. Do you have to do that each time?

I just managed to get through to their call center again after many, many attempts. They promised to look into it again and call me back tomorrow with a update. I am hopeful but will not hold my breath waiting. I'll let you know if I get the problem resolved. I posted on this problem before but received no response. I assume you are receiving the same error message.  

Well finally the technicians came round again today and, according to my wife, Netflix is now working again. They seem to have installed a software update from a flash drive. I'll check it out when I get home from work.  

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Well finally the technicians came round again today and, according to my wife, Netflix is now working again. They seem to have installed a software update from a flash drive. I'll check it out when I get home from work.  

sounds good, let me know

22 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I also have to reset Netflix and log back in fairly often with my TCL.  Really annoying since it doesn't remember the user email or password.  

The model I mentioned (50P8) has an Android 9 OS. so I don't know whether that would eliminate that problem.

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The model I mentioned (50P8) has an Android 9 OS. so I don't know whether that would eliminate that problem.

When I checked with the salesman at the recent PowerBuy sale at Bitec Bang Na, he said the newer machines which have an android OS don't have this problem. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Not sure I'd want a big item that has been bouncing around in the back of a delivery pickup on the potholed roads around where I live.  How much in a proper shop?

How do you think it got to the shop, still has to be delivered by a truck. Those TV's are packed pretty well, they have to be able to take a few bumps. How would you get it to where you live, carrier pigeon?

36 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i looked in powerbuy today the TLC led55p8 is 14,990 baht, they were offering 500 baht off, but they had a led LG 55inch for 11,990

Not saying you can't buy cheaper, but you have to compare oranges with oranges. Like does the LG have an Android OS, does it have remote voice control, is it UHD and 4K etc, etc.

Giddyup -  an attractive price at Lazada for such a TV. We have bought other stuff from that seller through Lazada and find their good rating matches our experiences.

A year ago we bought the TCL 49 C6US which got Android OS as well. It works well and has our full satisfaction. One minus only - the small remote (one large and one small voice remote included) stopped working after less than 2 weeks. We contacted TCL Service and were told the warranty on the remotes are for one week only. Solved by using a Minix remote which I find works better any way.

23 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I also have a TCL smart TV, but the "smart" part is not very smart so I use an Android TV box and that works fine.

I did use an android box as well in the beginning. It took me some time to understand how the OS in the TCL worked and how to sideload apps, apks etc. But now I find the TCL android OS works at least as well as a good android box. I do however use android boxes for other TV:s in our home as the OS on those are not android based.

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not saying you can't buy cheaper, but you have to compare oranges with oranges. Like does the LG have an Android OS, does it have remote voice control, is it UHD and 4K etc, etc.

so android 9, but is it a full android 9 or one cut down to TLC requirements, as other android tv's are. yes the lg was 4k, LG is a well known and in my house a trusted make. i wasn't knocking the TLC, just giving a comparison.

16 hours ago, sweatalot said:

sounds good, let me know

I tested it a few times last night and it is now working fine. Touch wood. I will know for sure after a few more days. 

When they first updated it yesterday, apparently after a few minutes it kicked out of Netflix, so they did a second update and ran a few tests.  

40 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I tested it a few times last night and it is now working fine. Touch wood. I will know for sure after a few more days. 

When they first updated it yesterday, apparently after a few minutes it kicked out of Netflix, so they did a second update and ran a few tests.  

I think I'll call them and let tehm check

10 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I think I'll call them and let tehm check

TCL Thailand working hours Mon-Fri 10.00-17.00. Contact no. 02-248-7506-08. I speak Thai so had no problems communicating with them. The call center will then coordinate with the technicians. Not sure how well they would be able to handle English. Nor am I sure whether they would be able to handle matters outside Bangkok.  

Archived