Mercedes Benz driver gives ambulance the finger after refusing to get out of the way

webfact

RE - Mercedes Benz driver gives ambulance the finger after refusing to get out of the way

A school example that wealth does not necessarily mean intelligence .... :thumbsup:

Not many people seem to know what happens to a person like this.

Life as he/she knows it will end.

Thai people are very good at finding out who these law breakers are and hound them for a long time.

All family members will receive phone calls and be called all kinds of names.

People who are found out will loose their job because the public will shun

doing business with his boss.

There are many examples and a lot of juicy details all over the net.

I almost feel sorry for these people but just a little.

The internet crowd in Thailand is relentless.

6 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

so how do you know it is non-emergency? it is simple, if it is an ambulance, get out of the way - there is no grey area. And what have SWAT teams got to do with this?

I agree, get out of the way.  But I would say that when many are in the habit of using the emergency lights when just driving with regular traffic, stopping and waiting for traffic lights, making no effort at being in a hurry, their emergency lights are not necessary. Other drivers then tend to become complacent when they see the lights.

The SWAT is one recent blatant example of misuse of emergency lights and racing through traffic I have seen.  This is not just a problem with ambulances. BTW I am a retired police officer and certified emergency vehicle driving instructor.  I was just making a point that many of the emergency vehicle operators need training also.  I am in no way defending this guy, or others, blocking or not giving way for emergency vehicles.  Thanks for your question,  ????

• Like 1

This is a very sad event for Thailand and for sure 100% is NOT an isolated case!

For some odd reason many Thai drivers get behind the wheel and get pocessed by the "Road Demon" Really it should be automatic that you move over for all emergency services! PERIOD

Alas in Thailand this NOT the case

The government really needs to do something about very serious events like this with HEAVY Fines and 90 day driving bans for those who do NOT comply (including Taxis)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

First offence, confiscate vehicle for 30 days, loss of licence 3 months, fine 10,000baht. Increases for any further offences

Second Offence; confiscate middle finger, and free ambo ride in back of rusty ute

• Haha 1

They need to make the drivers license acquisition much more rigorous.  It’s very clear to me that many people in this country have a drivers license but are unfit to drive.  Of course inculcating the rules of the road is the minimum requirement.

Here is part of the problem you state the guy in the Benz yet the license plate was blurred!  Media is part of the problem and the police too afraid or can't do their job doing so they would lose it!

Has anyone had doubts this might not be a Thai?  Majority of the time they are just to concern with themselves to even bother to open the window and flip you off, you sound the horn and they go into road rage mode. Could this have been a foreigner? 

Edited by thailand49

34 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I agree, get out of the way.  But I would say that when many are in the habit of using the emergency lights when just driving with regular traffic, stopping and waiting for traffic lights, making no effort at being in a hurry, their emergency lights are not necessary. Other drivers then tend to become complacent when they see the lights.

This is my wife's perspective as well.  She thinks that if they are not using the siren, then there is no emergency. This is a very widespread belief in Thailand. And it happened because the ambulance drivers have abused the emergency lights for too long and/or were improperly trained and didn't understand their purpose.

At the same time, you find ambulance drivers who do not want to turn the siren on because they feel it is too loud and distracting even when it is a genuine emergency. So you wind up with a situation where there is no consistent set of rules. Ambulance drivers need to be trained that it is either an emergency or it isn't. If it is an emergency, then you must always use the siren. If it is not an emergency, then you can not turn the lights on.  There is no half way. Once every emergency driver starts following this consistent set of rules, you can begin educating the public about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Thailand (and Taiwan as well) police and fire vehicles, and to a lesser extent ambulances, routinely drive with their emergency lights flashing. This causes confusion with the public, who don’t know if there is an emergency or not. 

Lights and sirens should be reserved for emergency use only and obstruction should be dealt with rigorously.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, off road pat said:
2 hours ago, straylight said:

Why have you pixelated his license number; is TV afraid to name and shame because of who he might be?

Because the strict and severe Defamation laws in Thailand !!!

any pixelisation, was done at the source. The source also provided the full video, and here is a still-shot out of the original video

image.png.b33c529d0ce6daca4596d4843d9a6317.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News said that fines of 500 baht were useless -

A 500 baht fine for blocking the passing lane? That is total BS! They never get fined for blocking the fast lane, in fact it is a cultural tradition in Thailand. The driver of the Benz must have been outraged! Do you know who I am?! ????

Edited by mickey rat

The thing is you never know how bad off the person in the ambulance is. They could be dying. Pull to the side and stop if you can.. turn emergency blinkers. Be considerate.... 

i know we’re in Thailand and shouldn’t compare with USA laws don’t apply but in this case Maybe they should apply the same. 

California law

Drivers must remain stopped until the emergency vehicle passes. A driver that does not yield must pay a fine of $490.00. A driver that violates this section will also receive one point on his DMV driving record.

7 hours ago, Youlike said:

I've also seen somchais in a pickup with emergency lights as brake light...and

'''''along the roads i see emergency lights at many roadside stalls as well... '' yes i find them really annoying i see them in the distance and slow down pees me off every time but the BIB as usual do zilch and let them carry on their trade on the side of a highway. It is possible one day that i wont slow down and it will really be an emergency...........................????

It was reported today in Thairath and the Daily News (11/11/19) that Ms Kunwadi Thamrongthonki, a representative from the Ramkhamhaeng based company in BKK which owns the black Mercedes Benz, went to the hospital and apologised to the patient and their family involved in the incident. A basket of fruit was presented to them by way of apology.
They said the matter would be dealt with internally and severe disciplinary measures taken.
The name of the company and the driver was withheld in the reports.