BANGKOK
alx123

Kawasaki Z250SL users

Any Z250SL users here? Highly unlikely as this 250 is not that common here, I barely see anyone (even Thais) riding it..

Anyway, if anyone owns it here as well..Let's discuss anything about this bike on this thread. Accessories, mods, reviews, technical stuff, etc..

75046165_2844661165566798_4076058581063958528_o.jpg

• Like 2

Is the engine the exact same as the KLX250? 

Looks like it, same bore X Stroke. Although a little more horsepower with 27hp @ 9700 rpm vs the 21hp @ 7500 rpm of the KLX. 

Edited by alx123
sfeeling is wronge
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, alx123 said:

Looks like it, same bore X Stroke. Although a little more horsepower with 27hp @ 9700 rpm vs the 21hp @ 7500 rpm of the KLX. 

Ok ..I better not try to race one if I’m on my crf then😂😂😂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alx123 said:

There's a relatively simple mod for the KLX 250 (at least older ones) which involves changing the camshaft timing. Seems that the mod will yield 25 HP.  Maybe the Z250SL was tweaked like this.

And apparently there were various versions of the KLX 250 that had as much as 30-32 HP.  Maybe those were pure dirt bikes.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/klx-250-300-camshaft-mod-marcelino-35904/page2/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

There's a relatively simple mod for the KLX 250 (at least older ones) which involves changing the camshaft timing. Seems that the mod will yield 25 HP.  Maybe the Z250SL was tweaked like this.

And apparently there were various versions of the KLX 250 that had as much as 30-32 HP.  Maybe those were pure dirt bikes.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/klx-250-300-camshaft-mod-marcelino-35904/page2/

Yes, changing the camshaft's profile and maybe a little tweak on the FI can produce a little bit more of hp. 

• Like 1

That gives another meaning to a Naked motorcycle. 🤣 

Question.

Given that this is a single cylinder 250, the bike vibrates a little at speed above 100 kph. It isn't that bad actually, except that it is causing a small buzz on the mirrors that the vehicles behind me aren't clear as it should be. Iv'e read that you can actually add weights inside the mirrors to help with the buzzing or/and install weighted bar ends to reduce vibrations of the handlebars. 

Iv'e never had this problem on my PCX. Any thoughts on what should I try to remedy this? 

Maybe try aftermarket mirrors?

Note to self:  next bike should be i4. 

Edited by alx123
im awesome as usual

Maybe tire balancing weights

on backside of mirrors, the adhesive kind?

Dyna-beads in tires.

Aren't bar-end weights factory installed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Maybe tire balancing weights

on backside of mirrors, the adhesive kind?

Dyna-beads in tires.

Aren't bar-end weights factory installed?

Yes, there are bar-end weights installed. I thought one can buy a much heavier aftermarket ones, no?

Yes, Iv'e read weights on or inside the mirrors might help. I'll try these and let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Getting weights inside the mirror housing might be challenging.

One possibility for the mirrors - a vibration isolator with the rubber dampener:

image.png.ba08b857c0e2a7c2c262bbedf4b8781f.pngimage.png.04fe65917dc0c2242d27a6734e40776f.png

I don't know if you could drill a small hole in the mirror housing and pour in some lead or tungsten shot, similar to a dead-blow hammer.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, alx123 said:

Iv'e read that you can actually add weights inside the mirrors to help with the buzzing or/and install weighted bar ends to reduce vibrations of the handlebars. 

Proof of concept. Go to any tyre store and ask for a couple of 5g stick on balance weights. Stick them (double sided tape 7-11) in the top corner of the mirror?

$_3.JPG

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Proof of concept. Go to any tyre store and ask for a couple of 5g stick on balance weights. Stick them (double sided tape 7-11) in the top corner of the mirror?

$_3.JPG

Curious; 3 questions:

1. why add double-sided sticky-tape

to weights that already are stick-on by design.?

b. why attach to mirror rather than to the back side of the unit.

Seems like would block the sweetest part of the mirror-glass.

4. why 5-gram weights. rather than 10 gram weights.?

Edited by papa al

13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I don't know if you could drill a small hole in the mirror housing and pour in some lead or tungsten shot, similar to a dead-blow hammer.

This sounds like a good idea.

Where can shot be sourced in Thailand?

Edited by papa al