Kawasaki Z250SL users

alx123

Just rode the 250 today and tried riding on different speeds, as well as different rpm on diff gears. It seems that the vibration is more evident at 6000-7000 rpm, anything below and above that rpm range alleviate the problem. With this, I can confirm that it is rpm related and not about wheel balance . It  was just that I mostly stayed at that rpm before, which is mostly about 100kph on 6th gear, as the bike is new and I don't want to push it yet. If I slow down a little, let say at 80 kph , that would also reduce the rpm and the vibes are gone. I just need to learn how to shift my gears correctly. But I'm still considering putting those weights on the mirroe and anything I can to try and lessen the vibes on the handles of this small thumper. 

Edited by alx123
cuteness overload
  • Like 2

Tape a little bag of rice or sand to the back of the mirror or the top of the mounting stem and see how much weight will do the trick.  The rubber isolators would be more convenient.

As far a break-in, wouldn't you be better off varying the RPM some rather then staying at one point for awhile?

• Like 1

Sorry, what I meant to say was I'm new to using the bike so I'm not pushing it yet. Bought this one used, now at 11,000 kms odo. 

Yes, I will try the weights on the mirrors first as I cannot find any rubber isolators for sale yet. Thanks for the tip on the rice/sand. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update: 

Done my 12,000 kms maintenance service and the vibration problem is now negligible. I also added  foam grips and bought myself thicker gloves to deal with the slight buzz on the handlebars. Foam grips are great that I bought a pair for my PCX as well, makes me wonder why I haven't tried using them before. 

The mechanic told me that the valves are already out of specs, and the chain slack was adjusted; probably the reason why the vibes on the mirrors are almost non-existent now. 

Next project is looking for a rear rack, which is surprisingly not available here in LOS, to attached a  givi box. I was spoiled by the PCX's storage capacity that I now struggling to travel comfortably with the Z250SL. 

Edited by alx123

On 12/21/2019 at 2:11 AM, Damrongsak said:

So, how do you like the Z250SL so far?  I think it's a neat little package for bopping around.

It is. I find it even easier to filter in traffic than my pcx because of its narrower handlebars.

Now that the vibes are under control, it's a smooth revving engine. Power is enough for the city, acceleration is good (at least for me).

I think it has enough power for a small 250. My Thai mech friend said he tested it and reached a top of 160kph, although I don't take his word for it, Iv'e seen people run it around 150kph + on youtube.  Topend is unimportant to me though, I rarely run above 100 kph.

Longer rides, I feel it strains my wrist a little, or maybe im just spoiled riding the PCX.

Pillion seat is too small, this bike is designed for one person riding I believe; riding two-up should be okay for short rides only.Rear shock is adjustable so you can easily change it according to your weight.

Bike looks too small though, even the R15 looks bigger, So doesn't have that "bigbike" size look. ????

Runs approx 35 km/L based on my calculations. 

Accessories are quite rare in Thailand. Engine parts  are same as the klx 250 so it's easy to find. 

ABS is a God-send, reassuring. Now that I felt the difference, I want to upgrade my scooter to an abs equipped one too. 

I found a custom made rear rack and will be installing it soon. I'm planning to get the SHAD box with a built in brake light. I'm not sure if I'll like the look of this bike with a box though, but storage is just non-existent, so we'll see. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've owned a Z250SL (green lime and black) since January 2015, I'm quite satisfied, I've always serviced at the mileage indicated by Kawasaki and I only changed the battery a couple of years ago.

I didn't need to make any modifications and after 5 years of use the bike is still in very good condition.

I've been told at the DLT that I'll have to inspect the bike next month, otherwise I won't be able to pay the tax and the annual compulsory insurance (Po ro bo).

Can anyone tell me what the cost of this inspection is?

21 hours ago, Nobody55 said:

I've owned a Z250SL (green lime and black) since January 2015, I'm quite satisfied, I've always serviced at the mileage indicated by Kawasaki and I only changed the battery a couple of years ago.

I didn't need to make any modifications and after 5 years of use the bike is still in very good condition.

I've been told at the DLT that I'll have to inspect the bike next month, otherwise I won't be able to pay the tax and the annual compulsory insurance (Po ro bo).

Can anyone tell me what the cost of this inspection is?

around just a couple of hundred baht, have it check in any shop with a sign(Toh Roh Oh - see photo below)  to get certified before you bring it to the DLT. This is required for bikes 5 years old and above

TRO.jpg

51 minutes ago, alx123 said:

around just a couple of hundred baht, have it check in any shop with a sign(Toh Roh Oh - see photo below)  to get certified before you bring it to the DLT. This is required for bikes 5 years old and above

TRO.jpg

Thanks

as said my bike will be 5 years old next January, so I hope it will go smoothly without any problems.

6 minutes ago, Nobody55 said:

Thanks

as said my bike will be 5 years old next January, so I hope it will go smoothly without any problems.

it'll be fine, some shops don't even check thoroughly and just issue you  a certificate, as long as you've paid ????

but mostly they will just check the lights, brakes, etc if all still will pass the DLT's requirements. nothing much to worry about.

BTW how many kms you have on your SL now? any major repairs so far?

21 hours ago, alx123 said:

it'll be fine, some shops don't even check thoroughly and just issue you  a certificate, as long as you've paid ????

but mostly they will just check the lights, brakes, etc if all still will pass the DLT's requirements. nothing much to worry about.

BTW how many kms you have on your SL now? any major repairs so far?

I've only got 13500 km on my mileage meter...I only use the bike in the city and I don't do long-distance trips.

As I said I just changed the battery and did the scheduled maintenance at the local kawasaki dealer, nothing else.

Years ago in my country I had another absolutely fantastic 4-cylinder GPZX 550 Kawasaki in my country, I find that this brand is better than Honda especially here in Thailand where Kawasaki technical support is definitely excellent.

Before buying the Z250SL I had a Honda PCX 150 bought new I sold it after a very short time, it was not bad especially in fuel consumption but I had some small problems that forced me several times to go to Honda service many times always for the same fault, I also wrote a letter to the Thai Honda headquarters complaining about the bad service I received. but I had no response even one of those formal letters in which they apologize for the inconvenience.

I don't know if I will buy another bike in the future but if I do, it will be absolutely another Kawasaki.

3 hours ago, Nobody55 said:

I've only got 13500 km on my mileage meter...I only use the bike in the city and I don't do long-distance trips.

As I said I just changed the battery and did the scheduled maintenance at the local kawasaki dealer, nothing else.

Years ago in my country I had another absolutely fantastic 4-cylinder GPZX 550 Kawasaki in my country, I find that this brand is better than Honda especially here in Thailand where Kawasaki technical support is definitely excellent.

Before buying the Z250SL I had a Honda PCX 150 bought new I sold it after a very short time, it was not bad especially in fuel consumption but I had some small problems that forced me several times to go to Honda service many times always for the same fault, I also wrote a letter to the Thai Honda headquarters complaining about the bad service I received. but I had no response even one of those formal letters in which they apologize for the inconvenience.

I don't know if I will buy another bike in the future but if I do, it will be absolutely another Kawasaki.

I definitely agree with this observation. Honda customer service here sucks, they just don't care because they dominate the market currently. Kawa on the other hand wants to make a good impression. 

ALso, interest rates (if buying thru financing) on Kawa bikes are lower than the Hondas and Yamahas. 

I still have my PCX for the usual city commute, nothing beats a scooter on stop and go traffic and sitting position, but I don't go to Honda centers for maintenance anymore. Find a much better mechanic around your area or better do it yourself. 

Update: Done adding the Givi to the rear, but I'm not so sure if I like the look of it yet. The extra storage is good though, somewhere to store my helmet when parking and my bags when riding.

80447188_2947275901971990_4137529093602148352_o.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, alx123 said:

I definitely agree with this observation. Honda customer service here sucks, they just don't care because they dominate the market currently. Kawa on the other hand wants to make a good impression. 

ALso, interest rates (if buying thru financing) on Kawa bikes are lower than the Hondas and Yamahas. 

I still have my PCX for the usual city commute, nothing beats a scooter on stop and go traffic and sitting position, but I don't go to Honda centers for maintenance anymore. Find a much better mechanic around your area or better do it yourself. 

Update: Done adding the Givi to the rear, but I'm not so sure if I like the look of it yet. The extra storage is good though, somewhere to store my helmet when parking and my bags when riding.

80447188_2947275901971990_4137529093602148352_o.jpg

That's the trade off i'm afraid - rarely do rear boxes look good on normal bikes - ok on Adventure style bikes and ok for scooters, cos they're used a lot for shopping.

But if the convenience outweighs the looks - then you've cracked it.

Doesn't the box have an easy release button so you can remove it when not needed ?

ps - the rear rack seems an over kill - they used less steel in the Forth Road bridge - 55555

5 hours ago, piston broke said:

That's the trade off i'm afraid - rarely do rear boxes look good on normal bikes - ok on Adventure style bikes and ok for scooters, cos they're used a lot for shopping.

But if the convenience outweighs the looks - then you've cracked it.

Doesn't the box have an easy release button so you can remove it when not needed ?

ps - the rear rack seems an over kill - they used less steel in the Forth Road bridge - 55555

Re: The rack  - it's a custom made one as this bike seems to be not designed for rear boxes. There's just no place to attach the rack at the rear. And yes, the box is easily detachable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 0xslyx0

I also own the 2019 ABS version. Do you have any idea which turn signal relay I have to buy if I just swapped the original for Led ones (2pin, 3pin or with cable connectors). I am right now not in thailand so I can’t check by myself.

thanks!

16 hours ago, 0xslyx0 said:

I also own the 2019 ABS version. Do you have any idea which turn signal relay I have to buy if I just swapped the original for Led ones (2pin, 3pin or with cable connectors). I am right now not in thailand so I can’t check by myself.

thanks!

I'm sorry can't help you as I've no idea about it. I'll try to see if I can get some infos from some Thais who owns the bike as well.

I know you can easily swap the headlights for LED ones but I haven't heard about the turn signals into LED yet.

Edited by alx123
im awesome as usual

Guest 0xslyx0

Sounds great as nobody seems to know. Not even Kawasaki Bangkok knows. 

Which led head lights would I have to buy in order to swap them with originals? Any ballasts needed?

thanks!!

1 hour ago, 0xslyx0 said:

Sounds great as nobody seems to know. Not even Kawasaki Bangkok knows. 

Which led head lights would I have to buy in order to swap them with originals? Any ballasts needed?

thanks!!

LED for cars like in the photo below

they claim to be plug and play, no need for ballast because it operates on a wide range of Voltage and amperes.

Most change their headlights as the Original bulb, due to heat, seems to be causing mini cracks on the headlight glass after some months of use; Changing to LED eliminate this problem. 

take note though, i haven't tried changing mine yet, so I'm only giving information based on what Iv'e read 

also, you'll have an extra bulb as the LED for cars are sold in pairs..

75406463_2660879163971706_3873557938278760448_n.jpg

Guest 0xslyx0

I found those Philips H4 LED for 1000 bath each (can also be bought single). Can it be installed without much of a modification? If yes, then I would buy it . 

Have you had the chance to ask another Z250sl 2019 rider regarding the relay?

thanks!!

Edited by 0xslyx0

Guest 0xslyx0
36 minutes ago, 0xslyx0 said:

I found those Philips H4 LED for 1000 bath each (can also be bought single). Can it be installed without much of a modification? If yes, then I would buy it . 

Have you had the chance to ask another Z250sl 2019 rider regarding the relay?

thanks!!

Sorry 650 baht

On 1/7/2020 at 4:05 PM, alx123 said:

they claim to be plug and play, no need for ballast because it operates on a wide range of Voltage and amperes.

They may "flicker" at idle speed  if not connected directly to the battery which means some "jiggery pokery" with relays  or just live with flickering.