Sick of bank charges

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Marvest said:

What visa types allow a foreigner to open a bank account in Thailand? 

Any visa except tourist. Even tourist visa did work and may still work with the right contacts or situation. 

Personally, I opened a bank account twice at Bangkok Bank. First time on ED visa. They closed it after 2 years inactivity. Opened another one on non-o multiple entry. 

On 11/11/2019 at 11:05 AM, petermik said:

Halifax (Lloyds Banking Group) charges me £9.50 to transfer money online to my Thai Bank...takes 3/4 days and I transfer the money in UK pounds :thumbsup:

Halifax Clarity Credit Card, linked to Halifax Account online gets Bank mid-market rate (better than ANY other transfer rate) and NO charges:

1. Go online and transfer at least as much as will cover amount being used plus any outstanding balance on the card from Bank Account to Credit Card  (or can be done as item4 below)

2.  Go to own bank currency window and withdraw in BAHT against Credit Card

3.  Deposit all that you wish in Thai Bank account

4.  Go home and check Pending Transactions on Credit Card tomake sure you have transferred enough to cover plus a bit

5.  Check back daily for exact rate obtained.

Cash withdrawal attracts NO charges when foreign.

Cash withdawal attract interest from next working day unless all paid off...hence 1 and 4 above.

Aqua Card also offers same rates, but cannot have funds preloaded to create positive bakance.  Several Premium Credit Cards offer same - but you will be aying Annual Fee.

No Credit Card, then TransferWise most likely best option.

PH

Not sure if it applies to all Citibank clients but if I use my Australian Citibank debit card at a Citibank ATM overseas,

I get a very competitive exchange rate and no ATM fees.

The downside in Thailand is there are only 3 ATMs in Bangkok. Nowhere else. ???? 

Otherwise I use my card and pay the exorbitant 220 baht fee at a Thai bank and grumble every time.

But I make sure I take at least 20,000 to reduce the cost to 1.1% or less if the exchange goes back up and I can take more.

23 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Halifax Clarity Credit Card, linked to Halifax Account online gets Bank mid-market rate (better than ANY other transfer rate) and NO charges:

1. Go online and transfer at least as much as will cover amount being used plus any outstanding balance on the card from Bank Account to Credit Card  (or can be done as item4 below)

4.  Go home and check Pending Transactions on Credit Card tomake sure you have transferred enough to cover plus a bit

Cash withdawal attract interest from next working day unless all paid off...hence 1 and 4 above.

Aqua Card also offers same rates, but cannot have funds preloaded to create positive bakance.  Several Premium Credit Cards offer same - but you will be aying Annual Fee.

PH

the bank account doesn't need to be Halifax

On 11/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Why don't you open a bank account in YOUR name?

No offense but you 'll not be the first after you have transferred a lot of money

on HER new account she is not anymore your lady and goodluck for having your money back.

If you open YOUR bank account here in Thailand you have no more fee when you use the ATM

"If you open YOUR bank account here in Thailand you have no more fee when you use the ATM".

How do you make that out? I have an account with the Bangkok bank, and if I use my UK debit card there

is a fee of 250+ Baht.

I know that in some cases, only some cases, I can go into the bank and draw it from the counter at no charge.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"If you open YOUR bank account here in Thailand you have no more fee when you use the ATM".

How do you make that out? I have an account with the Bangkok bank, and if I use my UK debit card there

is a fee of 250+ Baht.

I know that in some cases, only some cases, I can go into the bank and draw it from the counter at no charge.

I think what he means is, if you have a Thai bank account and card, you can draw using that card and not the overseas uk card, which dependent on bank and type can attract fees.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

is a fee of 250+ Baht.

What the poster was meaning I am sure is that if he opens his own bank account here and puts cash in, he then gets a debit card from his bank in this country and uses that to avoid ATM charges

Just now, CharlieH said:

I think what he means is, if you have a Thai bank account and card, you can draw using that card and not the overseas uk card, which dependent on bank and type can attract fees.

Hehehe,

You just beat me to it.

Schwab one international account, no ATM fees charged anywhere, no foriegn transaction fee, plus they reimburse any fees charged by the other bank.   You have to have 25K us dollars to open the account though.  It is actually a brokerage account but you can request ATM cards/checks for it.

If you have a US address you can open a regular account with them with no opening deposit requirement.

We regularly transfer money from Lloyd UK to SCB Phuket in Sterling.  They charge £ 9.50. If done by 3pm UK it is here next morning (or Monday if sent on a Friday).  Can all be done online.  We transfer a few thousand pounds over every now and then,  and then use SCB debit card to withdraw cash at no charge. If we are using a card for payment (hotel,  better restaurant,  Central,  etc,  we use UK cards (Halifax or Monzo)  with no charge.  

17 minutes ago, RandG said:

We regularly transfer money from Lloyd UK to SCB Phuket in Sterling.  They charge £ 9.50. If done by 3pm UK it is here next morning (or Monday if sent on a Friday).  Can all be done online.  We transfer a few thousand pounds over every now and then,  and then use SCB debit card to withdraw cash at no charge. If we are using a card for payment (hotel,  better restaurant,  Central,  etc,  we use UK cards (Halifax or Monzo)  with no charge.  

Next time you arrange for a transfer from UK to SCB can I suggest you also check the Transferwise site to see what baht you would receive (normally next day as with your current actions) if using their service. Then compare that with the baht you actually received. You might be surprised at how much you are losing out on.

The TT exchange rate on your current transaction is set by SCB and they tend to offer one of the lowest rates in comparison with other Thai banks. As indicated by this comparison site.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

12 hours ago, Phulublub said:

No. 1 contravenes the Ts & Cs of the Clarity Card - do it often enough and the funds will be returned from whence they came and/or they'll close your account.

No. 2.  Banks currency windows offer poor exchange rates.  Far better to request a cash advance on the card from a teller, where you'll get the Mastercard rate, but not all banks/branches allow this.

Tandem card is a non premium card which offers the same service and also gives 0.5% cashback.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:05 AM, petermik said:

Halifax (Lloyds Banking Group) charges me £9.50 to transfer money online to my Thai Bank...takes 3/4 days and I transfer the money in UK pounds :thumbsup:

Transferwise costs me £7.00 to transfer £1000 to my Thai bank account with an exchange rate of 39.02 as of today. Halifax exchange rate is 37.73

Transferwise : £1000-£7.00=£993 * 39.02 = 38,746.86 baht

Halifax : £1000-£9.50=£990.50 * 37.73 = 37,371.57 baht

Transferwises transaction time 1hr to 3days (most of my transactions have been made in 24hours)

Basically Halifax are shafting you for 1,375 baht (£35). Not a lot as a one off transaction but these soon add up. Besides why would you want to give money away, your missus can make use of it ????

12 hours ago, possum1931 said:

is a fee of 250+ Baht.

He means he has a Thai bank account with a Thai debit card.

I have a Bangkok bank account and don't get charged for withdrawals if I use the banks own machines, if I use an other banks machines then I get charged a nominal 20baht.

EDIT: I see lots of posters already stated the same.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, baansgr said:

Transferwise or WU...compare what rate and charges are which will depend on amount sent. Also can SWIFT but rate will be lower than above

Don't even THINK about WU unless you need to get cash to Thailand urgently. Their charges are phenomenal

16 hours ago, jimn said:

I use my no fees Halifax Clarity card whenever I can over here. Whenever I buy petrol for the car, shop in Big C or Tesco Lotus or go out for a meal. The exchange rate is the Mastercard rate which is very competitive, I pay no fees and I pay the bill direct from my UK bank account once a month. I only use cash in bars and shops/market that doesnt take cards. No need to keep sending tons of cash over. In the UK spending on credit/debit cards has overtaken cash. There are even bars and venues that are cashless now, all transactions are on card.

I have a clarity card and do the same but most of my transactions are in bars ????

14 hours ago, chricha said:

Not sure if it applies to all Citibank clients but if I use my Australian Citibank debit card at a Citibank ATM overseas

Get yourself an ING Everyday account; couple of hurdles to comply with (deposit $100 and 5 transaction a month, not withdrawals) but then you get no fees and ATM fees reimbursed.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, CharlieH said:

Unless you bank with TMB and there are NO charges for out of province use.

Yep i think all the banks are the same now didn't know about TMB. Transferring money from overseas the BKK bank has a max fee of 300 baht unless that has changed now.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, MikeN said:

That depends on the destination bank and branch. If Transferwise send the money via BKK Bank, but then they send it on to a different bank in Nakorn Nowhere you may have to pay the normal fee for a domestic transfer for an interbank/inter province transaction

I had problems a few years ago some money sent from OZ went to a holding bank first (twice) and i got a lower ex-rate BKK bank was very helpful and showed me docs from their records.To cut a long story short, after e-mails to Oz they advised me to put message to bank/acc ' DO NOT EXCHANGE FUNDS' have never had a prob since. i now do that on all transfers no matter what country it comes from.

22 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Any visa except tourist. Even tourist visa did work and may still work with the right contacts or situation. 

Personally, I opened a bank account twice at Bangkok Bank. First time on ED visa. They closed it after 2 years inactivity. Opened another one on non-o multiple entry. 

Wrong Krunsi have tourist accounts.

Archived