BANGKOK

save money in Thail back max interest in fix deposit 1.25%, take a loan and see the difference in profit margins. daylight robbers. 

On 11/12/2019 at 6:40 AM, alzack said:

You Might like VIRGIN MONEY good exchange rates and no fees, you must move £1000 min

My HSBC bank were charging £23 a go and poor rate

hope it helps

HSBC currently charge just £4 per swift transfer (free to another HSBC foreign account). You should always send the money in GBP and you will get a better rate the Thai end and usually no fees because the receiving bank make some money on the exchange.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, Tayaout said:

Any visa except tourist. Even tourist visa did work and may still work with the right contacts or situation. 

Personally, I opened a bank account twice at Bangkok Bank. First time on ED visa. They closed it after 2 years inactivity. Opened another one on non-o multiple entry. 

if someone wants to do a conversion to non imm 'O' visa from a tourist visa, how would be have 800,000 baht in the bank without an account.

16 minutes ago, steve187 said:

if someone wants to do a conversion to non imm 'O' visa from a tourist visa, how would be have 800,000 baht in the bank without an account.

It's a chicken and egg question. However, you can get a non-o visa without financial proof (not sure about retirement) in a neighbouring country. Once you have a non-o visa it's easier to open a bank account. 

On 11/13/2019 at 12:58 AM, treetops said:

No. 1 contravenes the Ts & Cs of the Clarity Card - do it often enough and the funds will be returned from whence they came and/or they'll close your account.

No. 2.  Banks currency windows offer poor exchange rates.  Far better to request a cash advance on the card from a teller, where you'll get the Mastercard rate, but not all banks/branches allow this.

Tandem card is a non premium card which offers the same service and also gives 0.5% cashback.

No1...strange,then, that I have been doing this for years.

No2...You obviously know better than me what exchange rate I get when I do my transfers. 

Others may wish to check for themselves rather than rely on unsubstantiated nonsense from anyone, me included.

PH

On 11/11/2019 at 1:46 PM, KhunBENQ said:

No they won't. Same for me.

A fee does not occur as the actual transfer is in Thai Baht from within the country.

BKK bank charges 400 THB on receipt of EFT funds (not transferwise)

45 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

No1...strange,then, that I have been doing this for years.

No2...You obviously know better than me what exchange rate I get when I do my transfers. 

Others may wish to check for themselves rather than rely on unsubstantiated nonsense from anyone, me included.

No. 1 - so have I (and others above) but I'm aware of the Ts and Cs and the possible repercussions so it's only fair that these are pointed out.

No. 2 - I don't know how  or where you do your transfers - maybe in your mum's basement - so how would I possibly know what exchange rate you get?  I was pointing out the difference I have come across between a bank's exchange counter and a withdrawal via a regular teller.  Also as pointed out above, this may vary between banks/branches.

Either way, my post was not "unsubstantiated nonsense" so maybe you should take your hands away from the keyboard before you embarass yourself even more.

• Sad 1