Has anyone got married recently at the Amphur Muang Chiang Mai Registration Office behind 3 Kings Monument?

nailbrains8

I think you might find that the Amphur about a block west of the 3 Kings has now moved to be in the same compound as the SalaKlang (out on Chotana, going towards Mae Rim). I don't know if that is all their services but I know for some things they have definitely moved.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, nailbrains8 said:

I'm reading online that some places require a translation and copy of your passport whilst others don't.

As Sally said. Is not there and moved to the big government area. They - the government are scrutinizing all of us now so you will need it for sure. And 2 Thai witnesses with the Embassy affirmation you can marry translated. 

Why is this so-called Affirmation to Marry thing necessary?  What is it and where do you get it?  I married at the old Amphur office in town more than a decade ago and all I did was go there with my bride.  I had my passport and she had her Thai ID and her house registration.  We did the paperwork, signed it, paid the fee and that was it.

31 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Why is this so-called Affirmation to Marry thing necessary?  What is it and where do you get it?  I married at the old Amphur office in town more than a decade ago and all I did was go there with my bride.  I had my passport and she had her Thai ID and her house registration.  We did the paperwork, signed it, paid the fee and that was it.

The Affirmation to Marry is a document to show that you are either single, divorced or widowed and therefore there is no legal impediment for you to get married. This is obtained for UK residents from the UK Gov website. The details are checked at the Embassy in Bangkok before notarising. You also need a colour photocopy of your main passport page (which they do) and this is also stamped. Both these documents then need translating before presentation at the MFA for their stamps. These are the documents required by the Amphur who, depending which is used, send back to MFA for verification. This is thank to the marriage scammers!! 

Other countries also have to do the same process as well via their Embassies.

The requirement for a translated and certified copy of your passport has always been there - it just wasn't enforced. You will also need an Affirmation of Marital Status - both of these items are available at your Embassy/Consulate - you should check with them what you need to obtain them. For example, if you are divorced, they will want to see your decree absolute or whatever you were issued to finalise your divorce. If you were married/divorced in a country other than your home, they may require translations but most Embassies will accept Thai divorce documents without translation.

The translations need to be certified at the MFA in Laksi, Bangkok. I would recommend that, after obtaining the Affirmation and certified copy of your passport, you use an recognised translation agency (quite a few in Phloen Chit, near most of the embassy's) to do the translation and ask them to do the MFA bit. They don't charge too much for that additional service and believe me, Laksi is a pain. Your documents will be back with the agency within 2-3 days.

Just a note - I'm not familiar with Chiang Mai, it may be that there's a consulate and an MFA office there so you might not need to go to Bangkok. Locals should be able to advise you on that.

Thanks to some kind Indian gentlemen who forged some documents a couple of years back - Amphurs were told to tighten up on their procedures. At that time, some Amphur managers, not knowing whether documents were fake or not, decided to refuse to marry foreigners full stop. I believe that situation has eased now but  I would recommend your intended goes to the Amphur and asks the manager what their precise requirements are.

Be aware that the Amphur manager must be present to marry a foreigner - don't go there on his/her day off or when he/she is attending one of the countless meetings they have.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

The requirement for a translated and certified copy of your passport has always been there - it just wasn't enforced. You will also need an Affirmation of Marital Status - both of these items are available at your Embassy/Consulate - you should check with them what you need to obtain them. For example, if you are divorced, they will want to see your decree absolute or whatever you were issued to finalise your divorce. If you were married/divorced in a country other than your home, they may require translations but most Embassies will accept Thai divorce documents without translation.

The translations need to be certified at the MFA in Laksi, Bangkok. I would recommend that, after obtaining the Affirmation and certified copy of your passport, you use an recognised translation agency (quite a few in Phloen Chit, near most of the embassy's) to do the translation and ask them to do the MFA bit. They don't charge too much for that additional service and believe me, Laksi is a pain. Your documents will be back with the agency within 2-3 days.

Just a note - I'm not familiar with Chiang Mai, it may be that there's a consulate and an MFA office there so you might not need to go to Bangkok. Locals should be able to advise you on that.

Thanks to some kind Indian gentlemen who forged some documents a couple of years back - Amphurs were told to tighten up on their procedures. At that time, some Amphur managers, not knowing whether documents were fake or not, decided to refuse to marry foreigners full stop. I believe that situation has eased now but  I would recommend your intended goes to the Amphur and asks the manager what their precise requirements are.

Be aware that the Amphur manager must be present to marry a foreigner - don't go there on his/her day off or when he/she is attending one of the countless meetings they have.

This is all correct. Just to add - there is a MFA in Chiang Mai, it's next door to the Thai's passport renewal office in the government complex. 

I was married a few months back at the new amphur office at city hall / salakang. I got the affirmation of marriage from my embassy as well as a certified passport copy, took them to a local translation company and then to the MFA to certify the translation. 

The employees at the new amphur office were pretty helpful. They went through our documents and gave us about half of them back, but did confirm that the affirmation and certified passport copy were necessary. On the day I'd recommend getting there half an hour or so before opening as it gets busy, oh and the 2 Thai witnesses weren't necessary!

22 hours ago, Svadhistana said:

What is the "affirmation" to marry?

As far as i recall,one must go to your embassy and declare you are not already married/show divorce papers of previous marriage all this has to be translated to Thai. forgotten the rest sorry. 

On 11/14/2019 at 8:24 AM, brianthainess said:

As far as i recall,one must go to your embassy and declare you are not already married/show divorce papers of previous marriage all this has to be translated to Thai. forgotten the rest sorry. 

You are correct.  Once you fill out the form, you take it to your Embassy (US in my case), with either divorce papers or death certificate (if divorced or a widow(er)) or nothing if never married and then swear under oath its all correct.  Of course, since the US has no central marriage database its all a bit of a farce - other than swearing under oath of course.

Archived