Difference between a None O and a None O -A

I am confused, not a rare occurrence for me when I look at visa rules.  Can anyone tell me the difference between getting a None O and a None O-A,  or indeed a None O-X? I have a None O,  with 2 Extensions of Stray, but others in my position (married, Thai wife, retired, over 60) were given None O-A. I have checked the UK Thai Embassy website, but that doesn't help much in explaining the difference.  Can anyone here do that?  Ubonjoe perhaps?  Mine is a extension based upon retirement, but my original None O was based on marriage to a Thai. Immigration changed it at my first extension, no idea why.

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

What is reported here appears to be correct, but, when you go to either the Thai Embassy, Washington DC website or the New York Consulate web site, they both list only two "reasons" for an "O" Visa : Visit to Family and Volunteering, nothing is said about "retirement" as reported here

1683702239_Ovisa.png.3232d5c64997ff2d67f4c6a7e5be00b1.png

18 hours ago, PatOngo said:

How did you manage that?

not sure I understand the question.  I went to Immigration after one year on the O and  got a one year Extension of Stay. During the one year period of the visa, I left the country every 90 days and was then granted another 90 days, after the 12 months, got the extension. Does that answer your question?  

35 minutes ago, jimn said:

Because for some strange reason you cannot get one based on retirement in the USA. Maybe they want to keep their older folk at bay in case they try to convert to an "extension of stray"

Never got a visa to stray - wife is rather strict on that.........lol

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

not sure I understand the question.  I went to Immigration after one year on the O and  got a one year Extension of Stay. During the one year period of the visa, I left the country every 90 days and was then granted another 90 days, after the 12 months, got the extension. Does that answer your question?  

I think his comment was just a play on words, based on your original typo to "stray" (presumable from the wife).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You said Extension to Stray in your first post, I wondered how you managed that!

• Confused 1

Originally I received an Non Imm O when I first moved to Thailand, from the country I was residing in.  At that time, my wife signed some sort of documents that she was responsible for me. After the first 90 days, we got an extension based on marriage, including all the documentation, police visit to the house etc, so that I did not have to physically leave the country anymore.  Before my next extension was due, I changed from "marriage" to "retirement" for reason of extension, basically because retirement extension is  simpler (less documentation, approved at the local IO office etc). The one and only visa I have still states "O", and each extension just states "retirement". I am guessing that "O" normally originally requires wife/family etc to confirm that they will be responsible for the applicant?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clear to me that as OA does not require  financials other than 20k cash and permits 1-2 years stay TI are concerned that medical costs are not covered during that period whereas an O is converted to an extension based on 400k or 600k pa or 40k or 65k pm after 90 days covering medical costs. Believe this is the rationale.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Isn't the extension of stay for a period of 1 year? Why would you leave every 90 days?

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Clear to me that as OA does not require  financials other than 20k cash and permits 1-2 years stay TI are concerned that medical costs are not covered during that period whereas an O is converted to an extension based on 400k or 600k pa or 40k or 65k pm after 90 days covering medical costs. Believe this is the rationale.

There is no way of knowing what the rationale of the Thai authorities is. We are in a mushroom farm.

AFAIK an extension based on O-A requires THAI medical insurance. Extension of the O visa does not. For now.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

O short time VISA 90 days.

OA long term VISA 1 year.

OX very long term VISA 5 years.

My original Non-OA granted me only 90 days. Had medical and police check; only not the 800K in the bank.

Embassy should have given me a Non-O instead, right?

• Like 1

Not sure why people tell about the non-o.

As far as I can check frist non-O and have exdended that for many years. Everytime valid for another year or the time your passport still is valid.

Based on take care of thai child

You can have single entry or mutiple entree

Still had to do the 90 days report.

Also had to do this with the non-B i have had too also with single or multiple entree and still report every 90 days

FYI

We would like to inform all our clients currently holding a retirement visa that a recent change on immigration rules has been made regarding mandatory health insurance. 

The Health insurance will be mandatory, as you may already know, for all holders of Non Immigrant O-A visa's when doing their yearly extension. What's new is that the health insurance certificate can also be requested on your return from an oversea trip. 

A few people recently have been refused entry on their Non Immigrant O-A visa because they were not able to provide the health insurance certificate and were only granted a 30 days visa upon arrival. 

General information:

Non immigrant O-A visa: Is a Visa obtained from a Thai embassy/consulate usually from your home country before entering Thailand. The visa is valid for a year. You are usually requested to present medical certificate, criminal record, and financial statement to apply for this visa. 

Health insurance required when applying, extending and now coming back from an oversea trip. (eventually can be requested when doing a 90 days report) 

Non immigrant O visa: This visa can also be obtained from a Thai embassy but it is only valid for 3 months. Requirement is usually limited to financial statement.
This Visa can also be obtained from within Thailand at the local Thai immigration. 

Health insurance not required. (for now) 

We understand that you might not remember or know which type of visa you are currently holding. If you have any doubt and require assistance on your next move please feel free to get in touch with us by coming to the office with your passport, give us a call 088-2580139 or send us an email [email protected] 

Best regards,
Rhys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

What is reported here appears to be correct, but, when you go to either the Thai Embassy, Washington DC website or the New York Consulate web site, they both list only two "reasons" for an "O" Visa : Visit to Family and Volunteering, nothing is said about "retirement" as reported here

1683702239_Ovisa.png.3232d5c64997ff2d67f4c6a7e5be00b1.png

The London Thai Embassy provides a little more detail:

"O"   To visit family or friends in Thailand, voluntary job, retirement, medical treatment, to attend judicial process, to work as diplomat's housekeeper

The retirement option is restricted to only those over 50 who are in receipt of an official state pension. All others are excluded.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, nightbird said:

Isn't the extension of stay for a period of 1 year? Why would you leave every 90 days?

must be my English.  For the first 12 months of the visa, I had to leave every 90 days, then after 12 months and the visa expired date, I got the one years extension of stay. Hope that's clearer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lampangguy said:

Originally I received an Non Imm O when I first moved to Thailand, from the country I was residing in.  At that time, my wife signed some sort of documents that she was responsible for me. After the first 90 days, we got an extension based on marriage, including all the documentation, police visit to the house etc, so that I did not have to physically leave the country anymore.  Before my next extension was due, I changed from "marriage" to "retirement" for reason of extension, basically because retirement extension is  simpler (less documentation, approved at the local IO office etc). The one and only visa I have still states "O", and each extension just states "retirement". I am guessing that "O" normally originally requires wife/family etc to confirm that they will be responsible for the applicant?

I'm in the same boat.  Came here in 1996 with an O, extended for the first few years under marriage rules, then changed to retirement in 2002.  I'm fortunate my extension is good until Oct next year.....so I'll see how things shake out.

• Like 1