Brunos

hazelandhoward

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it is closed. 

The location is now home to a very excellent fairly priced authentic Chinese restaurant called Lv Yuan. 

Highly recommended. 

This is why I started the thread, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?" to give people the heads up when establishments are closing, or have closed.   

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

This is why I started the thread, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?" to give people the heads up when establishments are closing, or have closed.   

Funny as I thought most of that thread was devoted to your thoughts on why places were going to close and arguing with others who disagreed with your theories - pretty much like the yawn inducing high season thread.......:whistling:

20 hours ago, topt said:

Funny as I thought most of that thread was devoted to your thoughts on why places were going to close and arguing with others who disagreed with your theories - pretty much like the yawn inducing high season thread.......:whistling:

No, I started the thread so people can post when one of their favorite places was closing, so others would know. 

Of course, there's no problem discussing why establishments close. 

Now we know Bruno's is closed, and has been replaced by a Chinese restaurant.  Much in the same way we are seeing many new Indian restaurants.

Do you like dim sim and / or curry?  ????

25 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No, I started the thread so people can post when one of their favorite places was closing, so others would know. 

Of course, there's no problem discussing why establishments close. 

Now we know Bruno's is closed, and has been replaced by a Chinese restaurant.  Much in the same way we are seeing many new Indian restaurants.

Do you like dim sim and / or curry?  ????

Lv Yuan which replaced Brunos does not have any dim sum. Instead they have a robust menu of Chinese dishes (mostly Cantonese, Taiwanese, and Sichuan I think) and also hot pots. But don't make assumptions about people's favorites. I never had any interest in visiting Brunos even one time. Sometime the closing restaurants are replaced with new restaurants that are people's favorites. So it's not all doom and gloom. Sometimes for some people change is good!

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Lv Yuan which replaced Brunos does not have any dim sum.

Did you see the smiley after that comment? 

Yes, sometimes a poor restaurant is replaced by a nicer one.

The thing is, IF you liked Italian cuisine, you have one less choice of restaurant now.  Right?

As more and more Chinese and Indian restaurants pop up, westerners lose choice and variety.  Something I have mentioned in another thread, and what I alluded to with my comment on dim sim and curry. 

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Did you see the smiley after that comment? 

Yes, sometimes a poor restaurant is replaced by a nicer one.

The thing is, IF you liked Italian cuisine, you have one less choice of restaurant now.  Right?

As more and more Chinese and Indian restaurants pop up, westerners lose choice and variety.  Something I have mentioned in another thread, and what I alluded to with my comment on dim sim and curry. 

I am not overly familiar with the resto scene in Jomtien but I know more about Naklua. 

Little Bella Italia in Naklua Soi 33 closed down recently but a new Sicilian owned place is soon to open on Soi 27. Also, Fusillo have moved up the main road 200 metres to premises double in size from their old location. So in Naklua / North Pattaya the Italian food market remains robust despite further competition from places in Terminal 21 such as Pan Pan.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:30 AM, balo said:

I agree, Western restaurants are closing down and will be a rare sight in a few years if this carries on. 

This is why I started the other thread, so people can find out if their favorite bar / restaurant is still operating.

Some will close, some will survive, and some new restaurants may also open, but I think across the board there will be a net loss of western restaurants and bars over the next few years.

Many western establishments will go down the same path as Bruno's, and converted to cater for the new demographic of tourists. 

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sometimes Indian and Chinese places close as well!

Indian restaurants almost never close down.....Until about 6-8? months ago my observation was no Indian restaurants close down ever.....But then all then sudden about 7 Indian restaurants closed all at once mostly on 2nd road....

So I will now stick with Indian restaurants almost never close down....

5 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Indian restaurants almost never close down.....Until about 6-8? months ago my observation was no Indian restaurants close down ever.....But then all then sudden about 7 Indian restaurants closed all at once mostly on 2nd road....

So I will now stick with Indian restaurants almost never close down....

Yes they do close sometimes.

Chinese places too also close fairly often. 

On 11/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, balo said:

I agree, Western restaurants are closing down and will be a rare sight in a few years if this carries on. 

The cheap charley restaurants on Soi Bukow are booming....Hard to even get a seat some times.. 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Leaver said:

We usually know when our favourite bar is closing. The writing has been on the wall for a couple of years for Brunos. Too big  too formal, too many staff and too many items on the menu. The customer demographics have changed. The closure signs went up over 6 months ago.

7 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The cheap charley restaurants on Soi Bukow are booming....Hard to even get a seat some times.. 

What is  cheap charlie restaurant? Why insult people? Anyway there are plenty of excellent expensive restaurants but they have to try harder. Brunos was resting on its laurels.

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

What is  cheap charlie restaurant? Why insult people? Anyway there are plenty of excellent expensive restaurants but they have to try harder. Brunos was resting on its laurels.

The term Cheap Charley can imply many different things depending on how its said.....But word Implications dont work so good on a computer...My Implication was ment to be funny not mean.....

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I don't think it is such a big deal, people know what they are. One place is actually called that, 'Cheap Charlies'

15 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Too big  too formal, too many staff and too many items on the menu. The customer demographics have changed.

So, you believe it wasn't a simple sell and retire closure.

Of the five reasons you mention for its closure, how much do you think the changing of customer demographics effected the business?

On 11/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, jacko45k said:

I don't think it is such a big deal, people know what they are. One place is actually called that, 'Cheap Charlies'

I agree.

To be a Cheap Charlie means you are probably just paying what you should be paying for the good or service.  ????

On 11/16/2019 at 6:10 AM, jacko45k said:

I had their 99 baht roast chicken dinner the other day. Very good quality and I just about managed to eat it all.

They also do a full English for 89 baht with tea and orange juice. Amazing value.

Credit where it's due.

44 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I had their 99 baht roast chicken dinner the other day. Very good quality and I just about managed to eat it all.

They also do a full English for 89 baht with tea and orange juice. Amazing value.

Credit where it's due.

I have uses The Hippo a few times, perfectly acceptable. I usually head that was as CCs is often packed out. 

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have uses The Hippo a few times, perfectly acceptable. I usually head that was as CCs is often packed out. 

Just for info as was surprised (as was a friend) eating breakfast there yesterday that the special breakfast price has gone from 99 to 109 baht since last Friday. Still good value.

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

I've tried Hippos, it was fine.  I haven't tried Cheap Charlies as yet.

So, what restaurants are these cheap places poaching customers from?

Places that are nearby and catered for British punters such as Irish Rovers, Robins Restaurant, Seaside, Canterbury Tales and possibly what was Crazy Dave's.

Just a shame some of the GGBs and their floozies can't follow suit with their prices.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:47 AM, Leaver said:

So, you believe it wasn't a simple sell and retire closure.

Of the five reasons you mention for its closure, how much do you think the changing of customer demographics effected the business?

Yes indeed But that has not impacted on Comfort by Harlan   or  ABC or Amis or the posh Indian

The term cheap charlie, originally from the USA is a pejorative term Bar Girls used to use to insult mean, miserly,  ungenerous, tight fisted customers typically wanting something for nothing. Now the term has been adopted by expats as a catch all phrase to label budget travellers and anyone who is economical or admits to not having a millionaire lifestyle. Thus many restaurants are cheap or inexpensive but that does not make them cheap charlie restaurants. A cheap charlie is someone who never buys a around of drinks but accepts other people buying him drinks. A person who never comes out with enough money, frequently borrowing money but not paying it back.

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

I've tried Hippos, it was fine.  I haven't tried Cheap Charlies as yet.

So, what restaurants are these cheap places poaching customers from?

Sea Side, Robin Hood, Subway, Robin's Nest, Little India, The Golf Club.... etc etc... 

13 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Places that are nearby and catered for British punters such as Irish Rovers, Robins Restaurant, Seaside, Canterbury Tales and possibly what was Crazy Dave's.

Just a shame some of the GGBs and their floozies can't follow suit with their prices.

Correct.

For how long will these establishments remain viable, as they face strong competition from considerably cheaper options nearby?

Due to their size, these places can't compete at those price points, hence, my thread, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?" 

Archived