BANGKOK
snoop1130

Flat growth in tourist arrivals to Chiang Mai

12 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

After Loi Krathong the hotel and especially the hostel bookings are low again. Chinese prefer good hotels and will never stay in dormitories like western backpackers. Also they like Airbnb. If the new ASTRA with more then 600 Condos and the ad, that they are "Airbnb friendly", the hotels will loose more guests.

4 weeks ago I was at the Eat@Rincome restaurant. They told me that the U Hotel (4*) is fully booked - by Koreans. 

i have it on good authority that middle aged westerners prefer good hotels and will never stay in dormitories like 18 year old asians

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

How did you differentiate between Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists?

They dress differently.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Lanterns is a hazard to planes flying to get into the Chiang Mai airport and also might cause fire on rooftops. 

The lanterns ban is lifted only for certain remote area that airplanes don't fly low and not many houses there.

They cancel the flights so as not to hit any balloons. But from my observation last night there were pretty much zero laterns in the sky end of another traditionmthank you army

2 hours ago, MartinKal said:

Which is why the number of visitors is misleading as it is number of nights and average daily spend that is important. 

I'm thinking every one of them would have been out in the street for Loi Kratong.

I remember 3-4 years back at Loi Kratong when the inside of the ring road was grid locked until 2am and the moat was so packed with people you could hardly move.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

well do not believe all u read,

booking.com has only about 2500 hotels/guesthouses/hostels in chiang mai

and let me tell u that this is the right amount because without this giant you can not operate a guest house/hotel

further since the worst smokey season in 10 years there is at least 20% of the accomodations in chiang mai closed /for sale

sales in loy krathong are tripled in accomodations below 1000 bht per night

yes if you include ridiculous high priced locations, than bookings are up only 30 %

but those accomodations are also the reason for the downfall of tourisme( this is all paperwork not reality)

with the high thai bht it is locical people take a step down on their bookings

• Like 2

When the number of hotels grow with almost 74 percent, but the number of tourists is about even or only a few percent higher, more hotels will complain about "bad" or "not enough" business – that's simple math that don't require a higher education to see.

1 minute ago, wazzupnow said:

well do not believe all u read,

booking.com has only about 2500 hotels/guesthouses/hostels in chiang mai

and let me tell u that this is the right amount because without this giant you can not operate a guest house/hotel

further since the worst smokey season in 10 years there is at least 20% of the accomodations in chiang mai closed /for sale

sales in loy krathong are tripled in accomodations below 1000 bht per night

yes if you include ridiculous high priced locations, than bookings are up only 30 %

but those accomodations are also the reason for the downfall of tourisme( this is all paperwork not reality)

with the high thai bht it is locical people take a step down on their bookings

Do you think that "booking.com" represent all hotels in Chiang Mai?

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Do you think that "booking.com" represent all hotels in Chiang Mai?

I would say a good 70-80 % . I can think of some places not on Booking.com, but not too many. Then there are some which are condos, rooms on AirBnB only.

• Thanks 1

So the number of hotels are up from 2,300 to 4,000 adding 10,000 more rooms! That means 1,700 more hotels....... 10,000/1,700= 5.9 rooms per hotel. That's either a lot of very small hotels, or lot of mathematical incompetence? 🥴 

• Like 1

Chiang Mai has been overrated for as long as I can remember. That the pollution keeps getting worse doesn't help. If it hadn't been for that "Lost in Chiang Mai" craze in recent years, Chiang Mai would hardly be worth talking about nowadays at all.

12 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Nation can't even get Loy Krathong Day right.   So don't bother with any of the other drivel.

The NATION had LOY KRATHONG as Nov. 11 which is correct....... IS CORRECT.....

Quit your posting while you are playing with the Mrs. and/or the girl.......... LOL

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Went out last night to the ping river area and lanterns were banned about 200 people there from last years 5,000 another tourism catastrophe 🤔  

Banned???? confused..as thought this was the place to be and even sent tourists there...just kratongs??

18 hours ago, orchis said:

that means zero growth

Yes, and their lame attempt at positive spin by using 'flat growth' sounds akin to flat-lining to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

How did you differentiate between Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists?

Nike Shoes--Yankee hats and Mama cups..