BANGKOK
snoop1130

Flat growth in tourist arrivals to Chiang Mai

I don't live in Chiang Mai but I have spent a considerable amount of time there in the last 7 years. I have only seen a minimal increase in hotels, but as earlier mentioned on this thread, the increase in numbers is only attributed to "guesthouses" now being licenced. In regard to numbers, you can ask any hotel, any bar, any travel agent, they will all say the same thing, numbers of tourists is well down year on year. But one thing I have personally noticed is that there are many more independent Chinese tourists booking cheaper hotels instead of being on tours and paying through the nose. This has in turn has caused the cheaper end hotels to increase in price. If, as per this article states, the number of hotels was up, but the number of guests was pretty much the same then I have no doubt that the hotel prices would have dropped, but they haven't! Always gotta love the Thai statements that are so obviously false. 555

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Nope, not at all true. Everybody understands that the amount of hotels in one city, can not almost double, from 2200 to 4000, in only two years.

I would be better to tell the truth. That is only 2200-2300 had a license for their business, and after they made a lot of raids others already doing business for many yoear had to get lecensed. That´s why they are visible today.

you expect TAT to tell the truth, good luck 555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

They dress differently.

and the last 2 don't speak loud and don't spit on your shoes, complete different behavior

10 minutes ago, Nicknoodle said:

but the number of guests was pretty much the same then I have no doubt that the hotel prices would have dropped, but they haven't!

In Thailand less customers = higher prices.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In Thailand less customers = higher prices.

In Thailand less baht=less boom boom 🙂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you expect TAT to tell the truth, good luck 555

To my defense, I said "better to" and not "expect". 😆

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

In Thailand less baht=less boom boom 🙂

Hmmm.....Nah, not nessessarily.

There are high end call girls, gogo dancers, bargirls and freelancers. Depending on what quality the customers has chosen to rely on for his pleasure and joy, then the same customer can spend a smaller amount of baht by lowering his standards. He can still get same much. Some can even get more, depending of the drop in quality and standard.

Almost same as chosing between russian caviar and frozen fish egg in Makro. :crazy::crazy:

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Hmmm.....Nah, not nessessarily.

There are high end call girls, gogo dancers, bargirls and freelancers. Depending on what quality the customers has chosen to rely on for his pleasure and joy, then the same customer can spend a smaller amount of baht by lowering his standards. He can still get same much. Some can even get more, depending of the drop in quality and standard.

Almost same as chosing between russian caviar and frozen fish egg in Makro. :crazy::crazy:

As the good lord told me ..do unto yourself what you would rather do unto others!  🙂

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, and their lame attempt at positive spin by using 'flat growth' sounds akin to flat-lining to me.

Good chance it was actually down but we'll hear next week of an "

increase" no doubt

6 hours ago, gabruce said:

What day was Loy Krathong? I too thought it was the 11th and that's the day my family celebrated as well.

November 11,just have a look at a thai calendar. 

55 minutes ago, Nicknoodle said:

I don't live in Chiang Mai but I have spent a considerable amount of time there in the last 7 years. I have only seen a minimal increase in hotels, but as earlier mentioned on this thread, the increase in numbers is only attributed to "guesthouses" now being licenced. In regard to numbers, you can ask any hotel, any bar, any travel agent, they will all say the same thing, numbers of tourists is well down year on year. But one thing I have personally noticed is that there are many more independent Chinese tourists booking cheaper hotels instead of being on tours and paying through the nose. This has in turn has caused the cheaper end hotels to increase in price. If, as per this article states, the number of hotels was up, but the number of guests was pretty much the same then I have no doubt that the hotel prices would have dropped, but they haven't! Always gotta love the Thai statements that are so obviously false. 555

If places at the lower end got licensed, then it would have cost them a considerable amount . Impossible to drop rates or keep them the same if you have to fork out that amount of cash. There is also the phenomena of thinking that a vast upgrade and entry into more middle market would make it much more profitable. Not necessarily the case as CM has a vast glut in the middle market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

After Loi Krathong the hotel and especially the hostel bookings are low again. Chinese prefer good hotels and will never stay in dormitories like western backpackers. Also they like Airbnb. If the new ASTRA with more then 600 Condos and the ad, that they are "Airbnb friendly", the hotels will loose more guests.

4 weeks ago I was at the Eat@Rincome restaurant. They told me that the U Hotel (4*) is fully booked - by Koreans. 

You are comparing apples and oranges. Most western families do not stay in hostel dormitories but young Chinese independent travellers most certainly do.

3 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

We live in Hua Hin, and toured around in the north during summer of this year. It is quite a bit more expensive than Hua Hin and really 'feels' like a tourist trap. It had a few people, but wasn't exactly busy. I wouldn't go back there in a hurry. Even if I flew into the airport, I would be looking to go elsewhere as quickly as possible - probably ChangRai of preference, which we really enjoyed in May/June.

I rarely feel any need to visit the touristy areas of Thailand these days - because I really do feel like a tourist - fair game, and in the cross-hairs. I guess for tourists here in Hua Hin, it maybe feels the same, I can't say - but without local knowledge, a large leo was coming in at 150. Here it is 55 in the local food court. That soon adds up.

Visit, look around, move-on seems to be the best advice.

I agree , Chiang Mai isn't particularly cheap for tourists unless they know the ropes 

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

You are comparing apples and oranges. Most western families do not stay in hostel dormitories but young Chinese independent travellers most certainly do.

No, they don´t. Neither western families nor young Chinese use dormitories. If I compare, then apples with apples - young Chinese, Koreans, Japanese with young western people.

We like Chiangmai, and try to visit family and friends there.  But the air pollution limits our timeline, and the overflowing Chinese tourists, and the high Baht—we have better places to go now...