What does this mean, please: งง

zxzoomy

I’m only at the intermediate level with Thai but this caught my attention as I’ve spoken about it recently with some Thai friends. If I’ve interpreted any of this wrong I would appreciate anyone setting me straight. I’m also having keyboard trouble getting the Thai font and the English font to match.

I often hear ngong (งง) repeated twice, ngong-ngong (งงๆ) and agree it means confused, as in over a tough math problem, for example. But can also mean overwhelmed, puzzled or bewildered maybe by too much information or sensory overload. One friend talks way too much and gives me too many new Thai words too quickly. She says I am ngong-ngong or overwhelmed. Some of the threads on this language forum are way over my head and after a few minutes I scream ‘ngong-ngong’ and vow to return to it after another year of study. Even walking down a street where there are too many people, traffic, horns, loud music, and flashing lights might make you feel ngong-ngong. Even a buffet with too many food choices.

Similar to that in some of the same ways would be ngun-ngong (งุนงง).

You might say someone talking too much, or too much information, makes your head spin, I believe that can be mun-ngong(หมุนงง). Confusion to the point of dizziness. But I’m not sure if that would also be considered dizzy from a carnival ride or drinking alcohol.

The last one I have is ngong-nguuai (งงงวย) which is similar to the above examples but I’m told this is more of an old fashioned expression.

Just writing all of this has made me feel a little ngong-ngong.

ปรกติพ่อไม่เคยเถียงแม่ วันนี้เกิดเถียงขึ้นมา แม่งงพูดไม่ออกเลย
[Usually, my father does not fight with my mother; today, however they did have a fight. My mother was so confused that she could not even utter a single word.]

กูงงไปหมดแล้ว
[I'm completely baffled.]

ฟังแล้วเริ่มงงใช่ไหมครับ
[You hear this and your are beginning to become confused, aren’t you?]

แม้แต่คำว่า ประชาธิปไตยจอมปลอม ประชาธิปไตยที่แท้จริง พื้นที่พิพาท ก็เล่นเอาผมมึนงงแล้ว
[Even terms like “phony democracy,” “genuine democracy,” and “disputed territory” make me dizzy.]

Archived