BANGKOK
CG1 Blue

Ao Nang to Phuket by land or sea

Hi, I'm staying near Ao Nang Beach for a few days in December, and then going to Patong Beach, Phuket. I don't want to fly, and I don't want to hire a car to drive myself. I also don't want to waste too many hours travelling (so that rules out long bus journeys etc.). 

After researching it seems I can take a private hire vehicle, and it would take around 2.5 hours and cost around 3,000 baht. Does that sound about right? 

I'd be interested in going by sea if that's a viable option - any advice on that please?

Thanks in advance! 

There used to be (probably still is) a boat that goes from Phuket to Ao Nang via Koh Yao - I used to travel on this boat many years ago.  I think the company name was something like Green Dragon (not exactly sure, but try Googling it).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

There used to be (probably still is) a boat that goes from Phuket to Ao Nang via Koh Yao - I used to travel on this boat many years ago.  I think the company name was something like Green Dragon (not exactly sure, but try Googling it).

Thanks. Could you be thinking of the Tigerline ferry company? 

In hindsight, and having taken a proper look at the map it looks like the sea route doesn't make sense for me. Leaving from Ao Nang I gather all boats would arrive on the east coast of Phuket, meaning I'd have to arrange another transfer from there over to Patong Beach in the west. Probably too much time and hassle. 

I took the ferry from Phuket port to Ao Nang.  It really is a pretty ride as you motor past some  small islands and out croppings.   I suggest you take the ferry from Ao Nang to Phuket.  Not too hard then to take the bus to Patong, or however else you want to make that final leg. taxi of course will be possible. 

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I took the ferry from Phuket port to Ao Nang.  It really is a pretty ride as you motor past some  small islands and out croppings.   I suggest you take the ferry from Ao Nang to Phuket.  Not too hard then to take the bus to Patong, or however else you want to make that final leg. taxi of course will be possible. 

Yes, it's the stunning scenery in that part of the sea that makes a ferry trip tempting. I might still do it!