Ao Nang to Phuket by land or sea

CG1 Blue

Hi, I'm staying near Ao Nang Beach for a few days in December, and then going to Patong Beach, Phuket. I don't want to fly, and I don't want to hire a car to drive myself. I also don't want to waste too many hours travelling (so that rules out long bus journeys etc.). 

After researching it seems I can take a private hire vehicle, and it would take around 2.5 hours and cost around 3,000 baht. Does that sound about right? 

I'd be interested in going by sea if that's a viable option - any advice on that please?

Thanks in advance! 

There used to be (probably still is) a boat that goes from Phuket to Ao Nang via Koh Yao - I used to travel on this boat many years ago.  I think the company name was something like Green Dragon (not exactly sure, but try Googling it).

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

There used to be (probably still is) a boat that goes from Phuket to Ao Nang via Koh Yao - I used to travel on this boat many years ago.  I think the company name was something like Green Dragon (not exactly sure, but try Googling it).

Thanks. Could you be thinking of the Tigerline ferry company? 

In hindsight, and having taken a proper look at the map it looks like the sea route doesn't make sense for me. Leaving from Ao Nang I gather all boats would arrive on the east coast of Phuket, meaning I'd have to arrange another transfer from there over to Patong Beach in the west. Probably too much time and hassle. 

I took the ferry from Phuket port to Ao Nang.  It really is a pretty ride as you motor past some  small islands and out croppings.   I suggest you take the ferry from Ao Nang to Phuket.  Not too hard then to take the bus to Patong, or however else you want to make that final leg. taxi of course will be possible. 

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I took the ferry from Phuket port to Ao Nang.  It really is a pretty ride as you motor past some  small islands and out croppings.   I suggest you take the ferry from Ao Nang to Phuket.  Not too hard then to take the bus to Patong, or however else you want to make that final leg. taxi of course will be possible. 

Yes, it's the stunning scenery in that part of the sea that makes a ferry trip tempting. I might still do it! 

• 1 month later...

I recently took the ferry from Ao Nang to Phuket.  Once we departed we sat outside the river mouth for 45 minutes just drifting around going nowhere.  Then a longtail approached and came alongside and 3 more passengers boarded.  Nice.  Holding up 200 or so folks and their arrangements for 3 people who did not have the courtesy or prior planning to show up on time.  

The scenery was spectacular but next time I'm hiring a car.  

9 hours ago, xeniv23 said:

I recently took the ferry from Ao Nang to Phuket.  Once we departed we sat outside the river mouth for 45 minutes just drifting around going nowhere.  Then a longtail approached and came alongside and 3 more passengers boarded.  Nice.  Holding up 200 or so folks and their arrangements for 3 people who did not have the courtesy or prior planning to show up on time.  

I decided to take the ferry in the end, and a similar thing happened to me! It was on 9th Dec. The ferry went very slowly out to sea for 10 minutes, then we were told to change to another (bigger) ferry. Once on the big ferry it sat there for almost an hour while we waited for other passengers to be transferred to it. There were no announcements which made it more annoying. I'm guessing the tide was too low for the big ferry to pick up at the pier. 

We arrived at Phuket 1.5 hours later than the scheduled time. I was due to meet some people that evening, so I didn't want to take the transfer bus over to Patong - as it would have taken forever with all the drop offs at different hotels. But nobody could tell me where to get a taxi. By luck a taxi dropped some people off just down the road, so I ran and managed to get it. 

I much prefer going by ferry, but I think with all the hassle and delay I'd go by road next time too. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 5:25 PM, xeniv23 said:

That's why I loved Thailand. It's not such a dog eat dog place as the west.

So what if people had to wait a bit? Read a book or something.

I once had to wait 3 hours floating around on a ferry after it broke down. No one started moaning about how horrible Thailand was because of it.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:08 AM, CG1 Blue said:

In hindsight, and having taken a proper look at the map it looks like the sea route doesn't make sense for me. Leaving from Ao Nang I gather all boats would arrive on the east coast of Phuket, meaning I'd have to arrange another transfer from there over to Patong Beach in the west. Probably too much time and hassle. 

Used to be if you booked the ferry with a travel agent it included van to hotel. Check it out.

Archived