BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Murderer who briefly 'died' in hospital goes to court to claim he's served his life sentence

A man serving life for murder claims he has served his sentence because he "died" during a medical emergency.

A court has denied his request to be released, because if he can make such a plea, he must still be alive.

Benjamin Schreiber, 66, was convicted of beating a man to death in 1997 and has been behind bars ever since.

He says his heart stopped five times at a hospital in March 2015, where he had been taken from Iowa State Penitentiary in Fort Madison.

Years earlier he had signed a "do not resuscitate" agreement, according to the Des Moines Register.

Medical staff called his brother in Texas, who told them that if Schreiber was in pain, they could give him something to ease it, court records reportedly said. Otherwise they were to allow him to die.

Doctors administered IV fluids and operated on Schreiber to fix damage done by kidney stones, the paper added.

Full article

Well,

1: there is not much grey area on what do not resuscitate means, but if the man's heart or breathing start on their own, well, can't fault the attending medical people for that

: Unless one is declared dead by a doctor, I don't think one is considered legally dead.  I doubt this case will go very far, but it is interesting and reminds me of some related Twilight Zone episodes where I think one guy was given the gift that he could not die and he thought it was great, but then he got sentenced to life imprisonment as the death penalty was abolished!  So he thought he was going to get out after being given the electric chair and dying, but not!

A do-not-resuscitate order, or DNR order, is a medical order written by a doctor. It instructs health care providers not to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if a patient's breathing stops or if the patient's heart stops beating.

Yeah, rather like the rope breaks when you're hanged. Personally, I'd look on it as a case of divine intervention. Ha!

Seems like the judge was having none it