Hong Kong on edge as police fire tear gas at university campus

webfact

Hong Kong on edge as police fire tear gas at university campus

2019-11-12T001507Z_1_LYNXMPEFAB00B_RTROPTP_4_HONGKONG-PROTESTS.JPG

Office workers run away from tear gas as they attend a flash mob anti-government protest at the financial Central district in Hong Kong, China, November 11, 2019. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong riot police fired tear gas at a university campus on Tuesday, a day after a protester was shot and a man set on fire in some of worst violence to rock the Chinese-ruled city in more than five months of anti-government demonstrations.

Some railway services were suspended and roads closed across the Asian financial hub for a second day, with long traffic jams building in the morning rush hour.

Riot police were deployed at metro stations across the territory and large queues were forming at railway platforms as commuters made their way to work.

Universities and schools cancelled classes, with students, teachers and parents on edge a day after police fired tear gas and students hurled petrol bombs on some campuses.

More than 260 people were arrested on Monday, police said, bringing the total number to more than 3,000 since the protests escalated in June.

The metro station at Sai Wan Ho on eastern Hong Kong island, where a 21-year-old protester was shot on Monday, was among those closed.

A water cannon truck was stationed outside government headquarters, where the city's Executive Council was due to hold its weekly meeting.

Hong Kong's embattled leader Carrie Lam said on Monday the violence in the former British colony has exceeded protesters' demands for democracy and demonstrators were now the enemy of the people.

Protesters are angry about what they see as police brutality and meddling by Beijing in the freedoms guaranteed under the "one country, two systems" formula put in place when the territory returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

China denies interfering and has blamed Western countries for stirring up trouble.

(Reporting by Donny Kwok and Anne Marie Roantree; Editing by Clarence Fernandez and Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-12

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Hong Kong's embattled leader Carrie Lam said on Monday the violence in the former British colony has exceeded protesters' demands for democracy and demonstrators were now the enemy of the people.

What an out of touch statement.  Most of the city hates her and the police, not the protesters.  Unlike her, the police know they are disliked, and looking at retirement in China.  They are usually seen in numbers of five or more when roaming the streets.  They are shun at restaurants.   

Mike Chinoy was right saying banning Joshua Wong was a bad idea.  It was an opportunity for one country, two systems to show that it could work, and it could have ended the violence. 

Lam just has no tact or commonsense. 

10 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

What an out of touch statement.  Most of the city hates her and the police, not the protesters.  Unlike her, the police know they are disliked, and looking at retirement in China.  They are usually seen in numbers of five or more when roaming the streets.  They are shun at restaurants.   

Mike Chinoy was right saying banning Joshua Wong was a bad idea.  It was an opportunity for one country, two systems to show that it could work, and it could have ended the violence. 

I suggest you review who the city is beginning to hate. The latest mob thug attacks on school kids, the setting alight of citizens who disagree with the thug protesters, the attacking of police with iron bars, the constant out of control rioting is far removed from the peaceful protests of months ago. It is now what it was always going to be when the hardcore backbone of mobs run riot. There is a significant swing occurring against these thugs. 

51 minutes ago, Roadman said:

I suggest you review who the city is beginning to hate. The latest mob thug attacks on school kids, the setting alight of citizens who disagree with the thug protesters, the attacking of police with iron bars, the constant out of control rioting is far removed from the peaceful protests of months ago. It is now what it was always going to be when the hardcore backbone of mobs run riot. There is a significant swing occurring against these thugs. 

There are thugs on both sides.  From my being in Hong Kong, it is difficult to find a supporter of the police or Carry Lam.   She and the police department are embattled for a very good reason.  They like you try to put isolated, yet shameless acts of violence on the protesters as a whole.  That is a shameless and weak diversion which creates more and more anger.   If they allowed people like Joshua Wong to run for office, a conversation big enough to quell the violence could have arose .   There are very good reasons why NO top public relations firms will accept the Hong Kong government as a client. 

40 minutes ago, Roadman said:

As much as I support HK protester with their agenda, those violent protesters have seriously gone overboard with their actions, beating up folks who simply wants to get on with their lives, and setting a person on fire...

I imagine its only a matter of time before soldiers roll in and a curfew will be imposed. There is no winning, China is too strong and powerful. Hong Kong accounts for less than 3% of Chinas GDP. China can squeeze HK until its last drop of blood.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I for one am more than a little surprised that forces behind mainland China have been so patient regarding action against the protesters. It won,t be long before the heavy hand appears ????

Not as easy to murder a few thousand as it was in 1989, everything is filmed these days and stuck straight on the internet. They are not legally allowed to intervene anyway until they take over in 2047. Of course they have been pulling the strings for years and put Lam in charge.

7 hours ago, mike324 said:

As much as I support HK protester with their agenda, those violent protesters have seriously gone overboard with their actions, beating up folks who simply wants to get on with their lives, and setting a person on fire...

I imagine its only a matter of time before soldiers roll in and a curfew will be imposed. There is no winning, China is too strong and powerful. Hong Kong accounts for less than 3% of Chinas GDP. China can squeeze HK until its last drop of blood.

I expect there are plenty of CCP agents stiring up trouble, one could be responsible for setting the bloke on fire. The CCP have taken the hooligan/rioters/western puppet line right from the start and flood the internet with negative coverage of the.protests. Some of the so called journalism on GTGN is laughably crude.

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I for one am more than a little surprised that forces behind mainland China have been so patient regarding action against the protesters. It won,t be long before the heavy hand appears ????

24 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Not as easy to murder a few thousand as it was in 1989, everything is filmed these days and stuck straight on the internet. They are not legally allowed to intervene anyway until they take over in 2047. Of course they have been pulling the strings for years and put Lam in charge.

Beijing won't take the bait, Beijing won't send in it's own soldiers to remove the rioters. And what does this mean ? The riots/demonstrations will continue. Hong Kong's train stations will continue to be vandalized, shops and banks that were set up by main-land Chinese companies will continue to be vandalized.
Tourist numbers in Hong Kong will continue to be low. Hong Kong's economy is sufferring, and will continue to suffer.

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

I expect there are plenty of CCP agents stiring up trouble, one could be responsible for setting the bloke on fire. The CCP have taken the hooligan/rioters/western puppet line right from the start and flood the internet with negative coverage of the.protests. Some of the so called journalism on GTGN is laughably crude.

What, the people who set the bloke on fire were secret agents from Beijing ???
It was deliberately done to make the rioters/demonstraters look bad ??

And the people turning up at train stations and the Underground, trashing and vandalizing the place, are they also people that have been paid by Beijing ? Beijing is paying people to set fires outside the metro stations, it's being done to make the rioters/demonstraters look bad ? And those youngsters wearing black clothing and helmets, with their faces covered in black cloth, tearing bricks from roads, and throwing the bricks, have they been paid by Beijing ? Beijing is paying the youngsters to destroy Hong Kong, because Beijing wants the demonstraters to look bad ??

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

They could always stop the protests by meeting the reasonable demands asked for, just have to pick up the phone and tell lam to do it.

The Extradition Bill has already been, near enough, sorted out.

An amnesty for those who have thrown bricks and Molotov cocktails ? An amnesty for those who set fire outside metro stations, and who also go into the metro stations and trash the place ? An amnesty for those who spray graffiti outside banks that are from mainland China, and they also destroy ATM machines ?

An investigation on riot police trying to stop all this vandalism ? The riot police have been pretty restrained so far.

As for Hong Kong becoming independent. That was never part of the deal when Britain handed Hong Kong back in 1997. Freedom of religion, freedom of the media, and other stuff was part of the deal. But independence was certainly not.

The western propaganda media presents seriously skewed view on the riots. I've seen some photos in South China Morning Post...If you have a mob in Sydney on a bridge across a motorway throwing stones on the cars guess what the police would do..

8 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Because the sponsors of the riots are hoping China would clamp down before the Taiwan presidential elections in January. That's why China is not falling into the trap. China wants the Kuomintang candidate Han Kuo Yu to win.

Just have a look at the genocide at the Uighurs to see what can happen to you when you're living "in" China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_re-education_camps
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/21/chinas-attacks-uighur-women-are-crimes-against-humanity/
https://nypost.com/2019/11/06/china-reportedly-harassing-families-of-uighur-activists/

Seeing that I fully understand that the people of Hong Kong, especially the younger generation, want to stay outside of China. They have my sympathy. Good luck!

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Just have a look at the genocide at the Uighurs to see what can happen to you when you're living "in" China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_re-education_camps
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/21/chinas-attacks-uighur-women-are-crimes-against-humanity/
https://nypost.com/2019/11/06/china-reportedly-harassing-families-of-uighur-activists/

Seeing that I fully understand that the people of Hong Kong, especially the younger generation, want to stay outside of China. They have my sympathy. Good luck!

Maybe my English is not that good, but what nonsense genocide are you talking about? How many millions of Uyghurs have been killed so far in those re-education camps?

I find China's approach to anti-terrorism to be very humane. Maybe cowboys like guns too much. The Middle East is totally ruined by the cowboys.

7 hours ago, Selatan said:

Maybe my English is not that good, but what nonsense genocide are you talking about? How many millions of Uyghurs have been killed so far in those re-education camps?

I find China's approach to anti-terrorism to be very humane. Maybe cowboys like guns too much. The Middle East is totally ruined by the cowboys.

Even if you call them "re-education camps", and even if a huge troll army does the same, they are like the concentration camps of the Nazis. History repeats once again.

Quoted from Wikipedia: "that "at least a million but likely closer to three million citizens" were imprisoned in detention centers in a strong condemnation of the "concentration camps".[4][5] In August 2018, a United Nations human rights panel said that it had received many credible reports that 1 million ethnic Uyghurs in China have been held in "re-education camps" "

Sounds like genocide to me.

"anti-terrorism"? These millions of Uyghurs in these so-called "re-education camps" have nothing to do with terrorism. Nothing at all.

And even if, you find it "humane" to rape and force sterilization in these "re-education camps"? I don't.

However I agree with you on the cowboys ruining the Middle East, with Trump's betrayal of the the Kurds only the last example of it.

41 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Even if you call them "re-education camps", and even if a huge troll army does the same, they are like the concentration camps of the Nazis. History repeats once again.

Quoted from Wikipedia: "that "at least a million but likely closer to three million citizens" were imprisoned in detention centers in a strong condemnation of the "concentration camps".[4][5] In August 2018, a United Nations human rights panel said that it had received many credible reports that 1 million ethnic Uyghurs in China have been held in "re-education camps" "

Sounds like genocide to me.

"anti-terrorism"? These millions of Uyghurs in these so-called "re-education camps" have nothing to do with terrorism. Nothing at all.

And even if, you find it "humane" to rape and force sterilization in these "re-education camps"? I don't.

However I agree with you on the cowboys ruining the Middle East, with Trump's betrayal of the the Kurds only the last example of it.

if the ultimate intention was to kill, why build re-education centres and give them vocation training? Why not just herd them into the middle of the Taklamakan desert and throw them into a deep hole and bury them alive? 

If you can do a bit of maths, to imprison millions would need thousands of such concentration camps but the accusers couldn't pinpoint them. Thousands of them should be easily spotted, right?

Did you know that many of those who were sent to the re-education centres couldn't even speak Chinese? They were all told by radical Islamists not to do business or work with "infidels". The women were told to wear burqas and not to wear their traditional clothes, and of course, no makeup. They were even forbidden to cry at funerals. Of course, no more dancing. The re-education centres were built to try to reverse the effects of extremist teachings and to also provide skills to the trainees so that they could be gainfully employed later on.

It would be naive to believe 100% whatever an asylum seeker says. They would say anything to get asylum approval because they knew that nobody could verify their claims anyway. It's proven in the West that even lawyers would teach their clients to create stories to boost their chances of gaining approval.

'I wrote so many ridiculous cases' - Tales from the asylum mills

Radio Sweden - Selling of fake asylum stories revealed

2 hours ago, Selatan said:

The re-education centres were built to try to reverse the effects of extremist teachings and to also provide skills to the trainees so that they could be gainfully employed later on.

You seem to know an awful lot about these concentration camps. So you're saying that the sexual violence against and forced sterilization of Uighur women and removal of Uighur children are simply re-education methods "to also provide skills to the trainees so that they could be gainfully employed later on"?

42 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

You seem to know an awful lot about these concentration camps. So you're saying that the sexual violence against and forced sterilization of Uighur women and removal of Uighur children are simply re-education methods "to also provide skills to the trainees so that they could be gainfully employed later on"?

Didn't you read the posted links about fake stories given by asylum seekers? How sure are you that the forced sterilisation of Uyghur women story was true? I say this that's because thousands of asylum seekers have been using the same fake stories about forced abortions and sterilisations in China and the Trump administration had been trying to deport them all. 

Immigrants May Be Fed False Stories to Bolster Asylum Pleas

There is no reliable data on the pervasiveness of asylum schemes, but law enforcement officials say they are among the most common immigration frauds, and the hardest to detect and investigate.

35 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Didn't you read the posted links about fake stories given by asylum seekers?

Actually I did, and there is no mention of Uighurs there, but it says: "Of course, thousands of those claims are legitimate."

So, if anything, the link you posted does confirm that the reports about sexual violence against and forced sterilization of Uighur women in the Xinjiang concentration camps are legitimate.

Bringing me back to my point, that I can understand, and sympathize with, that the people of HK not want to live "in" a country which does such horrible acts.

3 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Actually I did, and there is no mention of Uighurs there, but it says: "Of course, thousands of those claims are legitimate."

So, if anything, the link you posted does confirm that the reports about sexual violence against and forced sterilization of Uighur women in the Xinjiang concentration camps are legitimate.

Bringing me back to my point, that I can understand, and sympathize with, that the people of HK not want to live "in" a country which does such horrible acts.

No-one has been forcibly sterilised. Sinophobic nonsense promulgated by western media as is much of the reporting on Xinjiang. It all went quiet when they invited the world press in.

No genocide has taken place.

Joshua Wong is an American puppet.

That will be all.

3 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
So, don't take those claims too seriously if I were you. Don't forget China is a huge target of anti-China propaganda by the West for a very long time.

Did you know that Malaysians are among the top asylum seekers in Australia? Imagine that !!!

Malaysia urges citizens to obey Australian immigration law after report of 33,000 asylum claims

I'm a Malaysian, and I can tell you that most of the claims of my fellow Malaysians were fake. The Australian authorities are not falling for the trick by the Malaysians but they will believe any Uyghur claim because that fits into Australia's anti-China policy. For your information, Australia belongs to the Five Eyes spying alliance, which are all Anglo-Saxon countries that have enacted anti-Chinese immigration laws as far back as the 19th century.

I'm an ethnic Chinese that can understand Mandarin and Cantonese (the dialect spoken in Hong Kong). I can tell you that most Hongkies (you would probably call them as Hong Kongers) have been looking down on their mainland cousins for a very long time, because of how poor and lowly educated they were. But now, they couldn't face up to the fact that the mainlanders have surpassed them in many ways.

In other words, this whole anti-China thing by them is actually a huge denial about the fact that they have lost to the "country bumpkins" across the border and didn't want to be ruled by the mainlanders.

Like Kishore Mahbubani have said: "120 million of Chinese travel overseas as tourists freely each year, and miraculously 120 million of Chinese return to China freely. If China was a Stalinist gulag state, why would anyone go back to China?". Most Chinese have no problem with the Communist authorities.

What do you expect the Chinese government to do when Uyghurs go around committing terrorist acts in Xinjiang and elsewhere in China? To me, the re-education thing is a more viable approach compared to America's "Blast them all to Hell aka Operation Enduring Freedom" approach. China should consider re-education camps for Hongkies too now that the rioters have become terrorists.

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

There you said it. The future for the people of Hong Kong once they are "in" China. 
I can understand that they do not like that future.

Did you ever wonder how China got rid of its huge drug addiction problem? You know, the huge problem that was caused by drug pushing by the UK and US on China from the 19th to the 20th century? Yes, the Communists succeeded in eradicating the problem in 3 years after taking over in 1949. Have you ever heard of any other country that had manage to achieve that? Did the Communists kill all the addicts? Nope. 

How Maoist Revolution Wiped Out Drug Addiction in China

If the Last Emperor, Pu Yi, who later became a traitor by becoming the puppet emperor of Manchukuo, could be re-educated and then released and spent his final years as a gardener, don't think the Chinese Communists only believe in killing as the only solution like the cowboys.

On Hong Kong's future, the solution to their problems is adopting the socialist system as practised on the mainland which the Hongkies really hate. Here's a perspective from an American writer who understands Hong Kong:

Some in Hong Kong Feel Frustrated, as Their City is Losing to Mainland China

Hong Kong is losing to Mainland China. Its poverty rates are high, it suffers from corruption and savage capitalism. It is now the most expensive city on earth. People are frustrated, but paradoxically, they are blaming socialist Beijing for their problems, instead of the legacy of British colonialism. ‘Across the line’, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Beijing, Xian and other cities are leaving Hong Kong behind in almost all fields.

Highly educated and overly-polite Singapore is literally sucking out hundreds of foreign companies from Hong Kong. Its people speak both English and Mandarin. In Hong Kong, great majority speaks only Cantonese. Many foreigners are also relocating to Shanghai. Not only big businesses: Shanghai is now full of European waiters.

They loosely define communist goals, and then they shout that they are against Communism.

9 hours ago, Selatan said:

On Hong Kong's future, the solution to their problems is adopting the socialist system as practised on the mainland which the Hongkies really hate.

And if the people of Hong Kong don't want that? Then force it on them? Re-education (concentration) camps?

As said earlier, I can fully understand if they don't want that. I wouldn't.

Did you ever read George Orwell's book 1984? You should. It might give you some more ideas.

Archived