BANGKOK
intheheartoftheheart

Chronic Gastritis but only in Thailand?

Hi all, got a question for you.

My wife and I have been travelling the world for near-on 3 years. We've been everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Eat local food. No issues. Live in Thailand now.

It is only in Thailand that my wife (Korean) gets chronic gastritis. Cannot eat solid food for days after a bout. Only here. Not Zanzibar or Odisha or Port Moresby or Asuncion or the 100s of other, sketchier, places we've been.

The minute we leave and go to, say, Can Tho and eat street food, she recovers within a few days. There seems to be something in Thailand making her sick.

She's been scoped twice and they just see the standard inflammation of the stomach lining but nothing else serious. We try to avoid over-use of antibiotics, for what it's worth. But have relied on them in emergencies.

Is there something she is eating in Thailand that is different than the rest of the world? Is it the pesticides? The water we use to make coffee? The street fruit? Why here and nowhere else?

We just can't figure it out. She has to go on a diet of white rice only for a month to recover. And it is only in Thailand that this happens.

White rice isn't the healthiest of foods.

• Like 2

Had this for years on and off, don't see the need for anti biotics unless she has HP infection. Is she drinking beer? that does my stomach in as well as chocolate and oats. She should try organic apple cider vinegar, strange that it only affects her here.

• Thanks 1

It's a good point, @wgdanson.

When we convert it into congee/jook, it's literally the only thing she can digest. That or boiled chicken breast.

I guess I am just wondering if there's a well known 'trigger' here that affects people. We've lived on and off in Thailand for years and it is only here that she gets gastritis. 

We're young and healthy otherwise. It's just perplexing.

• Like 1

I agree, I'm on Omeprazole, most likely gastritis and i think caused by Thailand. The trick is to get the inflammation down and then try to work out what food is causing it. Possible it's a type of bacteria found in the food here, i wondered whether its MSG here. When i eat falang food it seems ok

@Orton Rd no alcohol or coffee. 

We both eat loads of kimchi/fermented stuff during normal times, so we get a lot of probiotics that way. But can certainly try apple cider vinegar, as there's likely a healthy culture in that as well.

It's the weirdest thing. We eat healthy everywhere. Have no stress. Lots of kimchi and fermented stuff. 

Two-five days into visiting Thailand, every time, she gets gastritis. Different cities. Different restaurants. Doesn't matter where or how much I spend. There's some weird bacterium that seems to be living within the Thai national boundaries that kills all the healthy bacteria in her stomach! 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

There's some weird bacterium that seems to be living within the Thai national boundaries that kills all the healthy bacteria in her stomach! 

With regard to stress, often you don't know you are stressed. Are you sure she doesn't feel subconsciously threatened in Thailand with all the ladies here? i imagine both of you would say no.

You may be right on the bacteria, I've wondered the same thing. A bacteria they don't know about yet

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

It's the weirdest thing. We eat healthy everywhere. Have no stress. Lots of kimchi and fermented stuff. 

Two-five days into visiting Thailand, every time, she gets gastritis. Different cities. Different restaurants. Doesn't matter where or how much I spend. There's some weird bacterium that seems to be living within the Thai national boundaries that kills all the healthy bacteria in her stomach! 

Maybe the TM30 bacterium!   LOL

• Haha 2

Filthy air can very much be related to stomach issues. 

• Confused 3

56 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Is there something she is eating in Thailand that is different than the rest of the world? Is it the pesticides? The water we use to make coffee? The street fruit? Why here and nowhere else?

The thai inject medicines in orange and palmtree's....maybe more tree's i have no idea....

Why not try to drink bottled water only?

Often it's the water which can be from drinking or from food or plates and stuff being washed with water.Try and be meticulous about eliminating any chance of water being the culprit.I have similar issues and have found this to be the cause,if it passes my lips it's bottled water.We buy it by the 20 litre bottles.

• Thanks 1

Thai food in general is acidic - plus most of us eat lots of fruit, also acidic....

Local beer is, virtually, all made with fermented rice so thats another trigger

• Thanks 1