Medical department warns against drinking alcohol in cold season

webfact

5 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

I am scared now!

Anyone knows any good place to buy heaters in Bangkok?

My wife said just put charcoal BBQ after cooking in my bedroom for warmth, but not sure about this....

Wouldn't wake up after that, with the old carbon monoxide poisoning! ???? 

7 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

I am scared now!

Anyone knows any good place to buy heaters in Bangkok?

My wife said just put charcoal BBQ after cooking in my bedroom for warmth, but not sure about this....

Well i'd keep an eye on the missus mate, that'll kill you ???? i know last year in global home i saw electric blankets and oil filled radiators,and most new A/C now have reverse cycle heat mode :burp: i'm now putting my socks on it is chilly where i am.

6 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

I especially would never drink Lao Khao, no matter what the conditions are!

Interesting.

In what way exactly is Lao Khao worse than vodka , rum , gin , tequila ? Have any serious scientific comparisons been done ? If you have any links I would love to read them because I have been looking for a scientific explanation for a long time.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Invariably alcohol is involved, the victim has a skinfull, wanders around outside (often in shorts and no top), lies down for a nap and doesn't wake up.

In Alaska, you dont find them till Breakup (that month where the ice disppears right before fall starts).

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Interesting.

In what way exactly is Lao Khao worse than vodka , rum , gin , tequila ? Have any serious scientific comparisons been done ? If you have any links I would love to read them because I have been looking for a scientific explanation for a long time.

It is very high in ethanol and seems to effect the brain in a different way dangerous stuff from what i have seen.

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It is very high in ethanol and seems to effect the brain in a different way dangerous stuff from what i have seen.

But which brand ? There are many.

I can understand why it has a bad reputation. If you live in rural Thailand you will soon see the havoc it causes.

I have a nephew married to a 

Russian girl and he is there doing the usual falang thing, building a house etc. We got to talking and he told me of the terrible effects of vodka when drunk from dawn till dusk by the the local no hopers. And he is a big beer drinker known to be silly after a few too many !!

There is this strange belief amongst non drinking expats that Lao Khao is worse than Mekong ,  Hong Tong or Saeng Som.

Lao Khao gets its bad rep because it is the chosen alcohol of the poor.

But from 30 years experience my opinion is that ALL alcohol when drank to excess, especially before 6 oclock pm is bad for you.

I have seen normally well mannered and wealthy expats turned into babbling slobs from an excess of fine wine after a fine lunch !! And with a hangover to match the next day.

So ...to recap. ALL alcohol is bad in excess.

But what is the market for non alcoholic beer or wine.

People drink for the buzz.

The day alcohol free wine becomes more popular than 13% stuff then western civilization will have turned a corner.

15 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

2 years ago we had 11-12 in the daytime and 8 in the night in desember (nort of Udon Thani). Even for a Norwegian used to one of the coldest places there.,that was so cold that a lot of birds dropped dead in my swimming pool.

I often have 11 or 12 in the daytime and 8 at night regardless of the temperature.

More "medical advice" from an expert in Thailand.

Thailands medical care is batting zero in my books. This article is a fine example. Cold? In Thailand. Yes..on top of Doi Inthanon. 

I was wrongly diagnosed with a stomach upset..it was actually Dengue fever 555

Thai are often prescribed (by doctors and grandmothers) antibiotics for headaches, joint pain and stomach upsets. Its a wonder drug in many a Thais mind. Oh dear. Good luck with that when your body REALLY needs to kill an infection. 

Drinking to stay warm? Not a bad idea at all. It warms the mind for sure.

1 hour ago, Bournville said:

Thailands medical care is batting zero in my books. This article is a fine example. Cold? In Thailand. Yes..on top of Doi Inthanon. 

It can get very cold in the north.  You only have to google to see details of deaths, especially to old people, from hypothermia.

Archived