How to get BBC Radio 5 live football etc as VPN now not working

Finlaco

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Try the Browsec add on (free) in Firefox and set your country to UK :thumbsup:

Did you try it?

I did and the result was the same negative like some test with NordVPN.

BBC seems to be overly eager to detect VPNs.

And no wonder as this is the result with Browsec:

ISP: Digital Ocean
Services: Network Sharing Device
City: London
Region: England

It's easily identified as a "network sharing device".

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Edited by KhunBENQ

I use Nordvpn and I'm listening to it now.  Try changing the UK server. You are right about the BBC sometimes blocking vpns but sometimes I find the Nordvpn has simply got overloaded and I just reconnect. They've just updated their windows software as well.

Thinking back I do believe Nordvpn does throttle the bandwidth on individual users if you are doing P2P on a normal server and the server is getting overloaded. Sometimes I have been automatically moved to a P2P server. Nordvpn was slow last night for normal usage but seems to be up to speed today. 

I have the same problem on my laptop, also using NORDVPN . I can watch most BBC programs, but the radio is not working. 

You can try to download the BBC radio app for Android here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbc.globaliplayerradio.international&hl=en
This is the international version, but sometimes they forget to block the live football commentary so you can listen to the whole game, as I did last Saturday. 

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The question should be WHY do they block it? It isn't costing them money if you listen as there is no way you are allowed to pay them for it. Same with IPTV. They spend countless millions producing programmes and then restrict who can watch it to a very small part of the world.

How long will it take tv companies to wake up to the fact that there is a potential expat audience of tens, maybe hundreds of millions who would happily pay for their service if it was a reasonable price. Instead, they completely ignore a market that could net them billions from expats who want to keep up with UK or German or American etc etc news and other stuff from back home. Now, the opportunity is very limited for them to legally do so. Seems to me the companies are locked into a 20th century mindset.

Totally agree. I would quite happily pay say £75 a year for BBC access. They are missing a huge potential income source.

I use EPIC browser and it has a built in vpn with a British server available but sometimes you have to reload the browser which they recommend to do. I don't listen to Radio 5 but I've got it on while typing this. I used this browser to watch the rugby world cup on ITV. EPIC is also considered one of the most secure browsers and you can even do your 90 day reports using it.

https://www.epicbrowser.com/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The question should be WHY do they block it? It isn't costing them money if you listen as there is no way you are allowed to pay them for it. Same with IPTV. They spend countless millions producing programmes and then restrict who can watch it to a very small part of the world.

It's all about who got the rights to show the games in different countries and that also includes the radio programs. They are afraid of breaking the law if they open it to a world wide audience.  

Edited by balo

11 minutes ago, balo said:

It's all about who got the rights to show the games in different countries and that also includes the radio programs. They are afraid of breaking the law if they open it to a world wide audience.  

Well, the technology is already there to block broadcasts in select territories. If they have signed the rights away to someone somewhere then block it in that territory (people don't need it there as there is already a rights holder broadcasting it anyway), but make it available where no rights have been sold. Who broadcasts 5Live in Thailand? No-one that I'm aware of, so sell the service to the public instead of blocking it.

• Like 1

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

I use BBC Sounds app, I have a smart TV and an IPTV box, I listen to BBC radio 2 all day via Chrome, listening now as I type never had any problems, I will try radio 5 live now to see if it works.

My point exactly. The IPTV people make the money as the BBC don't market it.

I never listen live to BBC radio as i use the programme below to download loads of BBC Radio 6 programmes (RadMac, Don Letts, Guy Garvey, etc) to listen to as i drive around (it can also download BBC tv shows). No VPN needed to download radio; I've never  tried to download tv programmes.

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My point exactly. The IPTV people make the money as the BBC don't market it.

I bought my box & don't pay a subscription, monthly or otherwise, but I think, I'm not sure, that I may have signed up to the BBC Sounds app many moons ago when I was in the UK, but if the OP accesses the BBC sounds app he may find he has access to all the BBC Radio stations, I have just tried Radio 5 Live and it was okay, whether or not they block live match play commentary I don't know. 

I listen to A LOT of BBC Radio shows as I drive around (ripped in to mp3s) or potter around at home, from BBC 6 and occasionally from BBC 2, either music or music documentaries. I don't and have never listened to BBC 5 Live.

So educate me; what BBC 5 Live shows should I be listening to and I'll give them a go.

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

I listen to A LOT of BBC Radio shows as I drive around (ripped in to mp3s) or potter around at home, from BBC 6 and occasionally from BBC 2, either music or music documentaries. I don't and have never listened to BBC 5 Live.

So educate me; what BBC 5 Live shows should I be listening to and I'll give them a go.

5 live is gradually getting worse however there are still some shows worth listening to:

kermode and mayo friday afternoons - if you like movies

emma barnett most mornings, excellent and well informed journalist

606 football phone in saturdays and sundays

peter crouch podcast

john pienaar sundays uk politics