Lots of Post regarding how bad Thai drivers are, Try this

ChipButty

Lots of people moaning and groaning on how bad Thai drivers and riders are,

Lets see how good you are and would you pass your test today if you was 

back in the UK, Maybe if you have been here a long time like me

We have picked up some bad Thai habits, No Cheating

Mock theory test

Test your knowledge of a wide range of topics from across the UK highway code. This mock theory test uses multiple choice questions from the DVSA revision question bank under licence from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

https://highwaycodetest.co.uk/mock-theory-test-1/

I don't need that test... I know I'd fail. I know the majority of those driving in the UK for the past 20 years would also fail. 

The question to ask, is how many Thai drivers would pass ??

When generalising Thai drivers are worse than those with more stringent testing process and a more stringent police force - that's just common sense. 

British drivers, or drivers or any nation would be as equally poor as Thai drivers if we had equally limited education and testing standards. 

21 minutes ago, transam said:
59 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I gave up at "puffin" vs. "pelican" crossings.

Must be from another planet (I never drove in the UK).

Not the UK surely, I have only heard of "zebra" or "pedestrian" crossings there....

The Pelican Crossing is definitely a 'thing' in the UK... 

I think: 

Zebra Crossing - just the black and white stripes

Pelican Crossing - Black and white stripes and the orange light (orange ball / light on a post)

Pedestrian Crossing - No black and white lines, controlled by conventional traffic lights

We'll that's what I have always understood it to be, but what do I know, I just failed miserably on that mock theory test.

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Not the UK surely, I have only heard of "zebra" or "pedestrian" crossings there....

A pelican crossing is a type of pedestrian crossing, which features a pair of poles each with a standard set of traffic lights facing oncoming traffic, a push button and two illuminated, coloured pictograms facing the pedestrian from across the road.

Why are they called Pelican crossings?

The name is derived from PELICON, a portmanteau of pedestrian light controlled. ... With some changes to the light timings and road markings, the "x–way" crossing became the pelican crossing. In the United Kingdom, the pelican crossing was the first definitive light-controlled crossing for pedestrians, introduced in 1969.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

I gave up at "puffin" vs. "pelican" crossings.

Must be from another planet (I never drove in the UK).

30 minutes ago, transam said:

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/puffin-crossing.html

I wasn't aware of the difference either......

4 hours ago, transam said:

From test 2:

At puffin crossings, which light will not show to a driver?*

A flashing amber light is shown at pelican crossings, but puffin crossings are different.

Puffin crossings are different. Interesting, but here I gave up (non-native English speaker, never driven in UK) :biggrin:

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Test your knowledge of a wide range of topics from across the UK highway code.

That's a silly test your driving skills driving in Thailand should be learnt and observing how Thai drivers and Thai m/c riders behave a UK test is stupid.

On 11/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don't need that test... I know I'd fail. I know the majority of those driving in the UK for the past 20 years would also fail. 

The question to ask, is how many Thai drivers would pass ??

When generalising Thai drivers are worse than those with more stringent testing process and a more stringent police force - that's just common sense. 

British drivers, or drivers or any nation would be as equally poor as Thai drivers if we had equally limited education and testing standards. 

"British drivers, or drivers or any nation would be as equally poor as Thai drivers if we had equally limited education and testing standards."

I respectfully disagree. I think Thai face and stubbornness as well lack of deterrent and enforcement is the problem on the roads. You can't tell me the Thais don't know you're supposed to stop at a red light or you aren't allowed to drive against traffic. It's all about number one and beggar everyone else with Thais.

Many of you probably saw the farang run down by a car while crossing the street in the crosswalk area.

Thai people were laughing at him saying: " Doesn't he know Thai people do not pay any attention to people in crosswalks?"  Indeed, nor when they a walking in the mall, sidewalks, or pulling out in front of on coming traffic...

It is NOT a laughing matter!   ????

On 11/12/2019 at 11:46 AM, ChipButty said:

est your knowledge of a wide range of topics from across the UK highway code.

I will not pass this test because I have no reason to leave Thailand unless the euro falls even lower ....
But this is another story ...
I  drove many times  in Great Britain;
it was in the early 80s, 40 years ago so ..
I was doing an almost regular line between Angers in France and Kingston Upon Hull up in the north of England with apples in my semi trailer.
At the time the maximum weight of a semi trailer was 32 tons, so about 18 tons of apples in the trailer ...
and the speed, as far as my 32-ton vehicle was 60 miles an hour on highways .. (96 km / h);
I drove in almost every country in Europe to Ukraine;
I crossed the iron curtain on the highway between the two Germanys.
All this driving my semi trailer ....

All was formerly, in an old life and on another continent.:jap:

35 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

It is NOT a laughing matter!   ????

No - it is an Idiot manner

Been crossing the road all my life. Wait until safe to do so.

The man who refused to move, sitting in the middle of the road blocking traffic, Moaning 'I am in the Right' ...

Obviously never learnt this lesson.

So ... Darwin should take over

20 minutes ago, hobz said:

Does UK highway code say anything about driving against red? Asking for a friend.

Red here is "go if there are no cops about (and actually doing their job) and you are not likely to hit anything" - especially applies to motorcycle riders. 

On 11/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, canthai55 said:

I'd fail 'cause you drive on the wrong side of the road !!! 555

Correction, you drive on the wrong side of the road. I always drive on the left, its safer to do that in the UK.

Not much point me trying the test. I returned my UK licence last year and have no intention of following it. As I don't drive in Thailand either, I use Grab or my son takes me, personally I find the quiz pointless. That's not to say I can't still back set drive when the need arises. ????

On 12 November 2019 at 4:27 PM, oldhippy said:

On 12 November 2019 at 4:02 PM, ChipButty said:

Why are they called Pelican crossings?

The name is derived from PELICON, a portmanteau of pedestrian light controlled. ... With some changes to the light timings and road markings, the "x–way" crossing became the pelican crossing. In the United Kingdom, the pelican crossing was the first definitive light-controlled crossing for pedestrians, introduced in 1969.

Wish you'd said that earlier.   Just spent five hours stationary waiting for a pelican to cross before I could go.

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Not much point me trying the test. I returned my UK licence last year and have no intention of following it. As I don't drive in Thailand either, I use Grab or my son takes me, personally I find the quiz pointless. That's not to say I can't still back set drive when the need arises. ????

As the vegan who once posted on the best beef for BBQ thread said...

45 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

97%.....
Enjoyed that. As I answered each question I had a mental vision of what the typical Thai driver would do...555

Interesting score. When was the last time you drove back home or in a more civilized and controlled environment?

The reason I ask is I have been driving in Thailand for the best part of 20 years and the last time I drove anywhere else "more civilized and controlled" was maybe 3 years ago.

I only managed to squeak by the test with 87% (less than 86% is a fail).

25 minutes ago, SweatySock said:

Failed miserably, 74%. My only excuse is that I left the UK 40 years ago. Yes poor I know.

Looks like the longer you don't drive where there's a better safer driving environment and/or the longer you drive here, your standards slip and what's acceptable or relevant becomes more blurred than ones eyesight?

here try my mock test for thainess

1 is  it  ok to run over pedestrians on zebra crossing

2 is  it  ok to flee the scene of any accident

3  ok to drive whilst  mildly  drunk

4  ok to tailgate

5 ok to swerve in an out because "youre  late"

6  ok to swerve beacsue "you  own the road"

7 Ok to hog the outside lane at 3 am on a 3 lane highway even though other lanes 100% empty

8 Ok to park anywhere inc  handicapped  spaces

9 ok to double park anywhere

10 ok to have no  lights at night

If you can answer "yes" to any of  the above.......congratulations you  have passed the test.please deposit 500 baht with your  examiner

I must be odd. But I much prefer to drive here than the UK. I go with the flow here and for almost 30 years I have never had an accident.

I do go back to the UK at times and it's a nightmare driving there, have to watch your speed all the time and everyone just crawls about.

Cant turn left at traffic lights, cant undertake. I'm not going to even think about the thousands of cameras clocking you all the time, and the road rage, that happens on a daily basis. Just try and park in the UK you will never find a place, added to that you have to pay large amounts. So if it's ok with all I'll stick to the Thais and there sometimes crazy driving.

I'm with you ChipButty.  The UK is a nightmare of a place to drive.  Thailand is more dangerous, but also, interestingly, less frustrating, at least for me.  I think it all comes down to the fact that in the UK, drivers should know how to drive, but often don't.  In Thailand, they don't know how to drive, so it's somehow easier to deal with mentally, when you are faced with idiots who don't know any better.   The major roads are better here too. Even some of the minor roads are not too bad at all.  

Archived