Lots of Post regarding how bad Thai drivers are, Try this

ChipButty

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I'm with you ChipButty.  The UK is a nightmare of a place to drive.  Thailand is more dangerous, but also, interestingly, less frustrating, at least for me.  I think it all comes down to the fact that in the UK, drivers should know how to drive, but often don't.  In Thailand, they don't know how to drive, so it's somehow easier to deal with mentally, when you are faced with idiots who don't know any better.   The major roads are better here too. Even some of the minor roads are not too bad at all.  

I also like the way you can use cruse control on Thai roads. Cant in the UK. I find it a pleasure to drive here have to do a 1,000km return trip soon and looking forward to it.

There is one thing I cant stand using in the UK that's Sat Nav. If you go 1 mph over the limit they change colour and beep all the time. You can turn the sound down, but you cant hear what the directions are. As I have said before give me Thailand every time.  

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I'm with you ChipButty.  The UK is a nightmare of a place to drive.  Thailand is more dangerous, but also, interestingly, less frustrating, at least for me.  I think it all comes down to the fact that in the UK, drivers should know how to drive, but often don't.  In Thailand, they don't know how to drive, so it's somehow easier to deal with mentally, when you are faced with idiots who don't know any better.   The major roads are better here too. Even some of the minor roads are not too bad at all.  

Could be put down to your age.....????

27 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I must be odd. But I much prefer to drive here than the UK. I go with the flow here and for almost 30 years I have never had an accident.

I do go back to the UK at times and it's a nightmare driving there, have to watch your speed all the time and everyone just crawls about.

Cant turn left at traffic lights, cant undertake. I'm not going to even think about the thousands of cameras clocking you all the time, and the road rage, that happens on a daily basis. Just try and park in the UK you will never find a place, added to that you have to pay large amounts. So if it's ok with all I'll stick to the Thais and there sometimes crazy driving.

That reads like you don't know what you are doing but in LOS you get away with it....????

84% on first try and failed by slight

I'd say most safety questions coined perfectly with my Thai-ish intuition

1 question I got wrong because in no way I could know how much they fine in UK

another I got wrong the braking distance because my car had quite good braking and tires

-----------------------------

I drove mostly in Bangkok/Chonburi area and almost never seen Thai driver rush red light, also majority of Thai driver seems to respect pedestrian, not sure why many comments on this maybe I'm just luck

I also observe many Thai drivers are quite communicative they often gave gesture for apology / appreciation, save a few jerks in shiny red-plated Mercedes

I think the most annoying behavior of Thai drivers is no one giving way to the right at roundabouts/wangwians, can leads to extremely dangerous situation

On 11/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don't need that test... I know I'd fail. I know the majority of those driving in the UK for the past 20 years would also fail. 

The question to ask, is how many Thai drivers would pass ??

When generalising Thai drivers are worse than those with more stringent testing process and a more stringent police force - that's just common sense. 

British drivers, or drivers or any nation would be as equally poor as Thai drivers if we had equally limited education and testing standards. 

The main reason the majority of Thai drivers are so bad is because driving is more to do with common sense than anything else, and that is not a Thai trait.

All the training in the world is not going to help as there is also a lack of common sense in the way the country is run from the very top, from the government, to the police, to the immigration authorities, to the education system. Should I go on?

Just done test 1. 97% Not good enough! I was a Government Approved Driving Instructor 24 years (only did it part-time), have an HGV licence and take a RoSPA Advanced Driving Test every 3 years.

The 1 I got wrong was braking distance in icy conditions (not likely to happen in Thailand!). ticked x5 instead of x10. I noticed a question about the use of Hazard Warning Lights was repeated. 

And your point being? Tests change from to time. Roadsigns change from time to time. Whether one could pass a test in one's home country 20, 30 years after previously doing so is irrelevant of the point that drivers will do what is acceptable to the vast majority. Change attitudes, change the driving styles.

On 11/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don't need that test... I know I'd fail. I know the majority of those driving in the UK for the past 20 years would also fail. 

The question to ask, is how many Thai drivers would pass ??

When generalising Thai drivers are worse than those with more stringent testing process and a more stringent police force - that's just common sense. 

British drivers, or drivers or any nation would be as equally poor as Thai drivers if we had equally limited education and testing standards. 

Standards and testing are irrelevant if the drivers here ignore them.

Many  of them drive without licenses, especially motorcycles, and many of them are too young to get a license anyway.

The difference in developed countries is that people understand and accept that they must be licensed to drive or face stiff penalties when caught. That deterrent is also not present here.

Again, this a challenge for the Thai people to tire of burning their dead families members and friends and take responsibility to follow the law. Law enforcement here is law without enforcement.

If parents in developed countries allowed their children to drive illegally they also would face punishment. Not so here.

Archived