No non OA visa extensions in Hua Hin because no health Insurance.

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unfortunately yes only these companies after the first year.

It is possible the policy you want is underwritten by one of these companies though,  in which case you might be able to get the required certificate. AAs they do inderwrite policies managed by othet companies. Ask who the underwriter is and if one of the "chosen few" ask if you can get the cettificate for Ommigration with this policy.

Pay attention to renewal clause. If they do not guarantee lifetime renewal (most don't) and you plan to stay in Thailand the rest  of your life you are just setting yourself up for huge problems later. At a time when you'll be older, weaker and less able to handle it.

The company I referred to is Regency (they advertise on Thaivisa) obtained through Nowcompare an office in Bangkok and a reasonable premium and if joined before 71yrs eligible for life.

Sad these other companies seem to be holding the monopoly and charging a fortune for a poor policy.

Edited by Expattaff1308

I believe Regency underwrites its own policies. While that is generally a good thing it would probably preclude using them for the Imm requirement as things currently stand except for the first year (and then only if they sign the designated certificate).

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I believe Regency underwrites its own policies. While that is generally a good thing it would probably preclude using them for the Imm requirement as things currently stand except for the first year (and then only if they sign the designated certificate).

Seems its just a money making exercise for the chosen few... by excluding other Thai based companies!

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Welcome to the land of make believe residence security for foreigners. 

How many other countries give residence security for non residents? After all that is what most expats are. Given permission to stay 12 months at a time does not imply resident status, as many people find out.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have read literally dozens of policies and never seen such a provision.

There are provisions that prevent double claims,  of course. And some policies specify that any other insurance must  pay first. But I have never seen a policy that precludes having other insurance.

Not saying it doesn't exist but I'd need to actually see such a policy document. It is definitely not the norm and it is hard to imagine why an insurer would want to do this.

(I agree with you re Elite option though)

Interesting that you mention any other insurance must pay first. Quite possible that with two policies neither will pay until the other does, in other words neither will pay!

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 6:38 AM, jackdd said:

Can somebody post the link to the original Thai version of this document? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2icrv51NImXmu-QrsEvLG6jbh2Ulwl8/view

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gZ-qnoa04X4t2A0VTtgKhgjy52dSiSl5

Health insurance - Memorandum 0029.161_W 4603 dated 27.09.2019 - th.pdf

Edited by Maestro
added PDF file of the Thai document

11 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

How many countries offer no route to naturalization for people married to its citizens. ??

I am sure there may be many that don't.

But Thailand is not one of them. It is possible for the husband of a Thai woman to apply for Thai nationality but they do have to be working and paying taxes. For the wife of a Thai man it can be done without them working.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

1. At the moment it is looking that way, with 3 or 4 IOs putting out statements saying so, as well as a few 'agents'. Not a done deal, dead cert yet though!

2. Correct. 

Just a query...is it really allowed to convert or replace an OA visa extension  to a O marriage extension...and would that work as the original visa was an OA and therefore would still require insurance?

1 minute ago, Mango Bob said:

You do not have an Non O/A visa once you have another visa which in this case would be an Non 0 visa.  How can they act on a visa that has expired.

Sorry its terminology overload....I have an extension of stay based on an original OA visa...my query was can this extension be replaced with with an O extension based on having a Thai son, at time of next extension....or do I have to start again by getting an O visa outside of Thailand...

15 minutes ago, gavlar said:

Just a query...is it really allowed to convert or replace an OA visa extension  to a O marriage extension...and would that work as the original visa was an OA and therefore would still require insurance?

This may or may not fly and vary office to office, effectively changing the basis of the extension, but also varying it from why the original permit was issued. If it worked there is no reason to expect insurance to be required as this is not listed under marriage extension requirements. Perhaps Ubon Joe or Sheryl can supply a more definitive answer. 

There is always the option of allowing/forcing O-A extension to lapse, and getting a new Non-Imm-O .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

I went thru agent in Udon , Not a problem, I asked about it, they said no need, I’m delighted 

Please clarify:

Is your original visa non-O or non-O-A?

And you did what through agent. I year extension? Grounds marriage or retirement?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

Considering my visa literally has the word "Retirement" written on it by the IO, I don't think I'm going to fight on the semantics.

Your visa or your extension of stay ?

My OA visa ( expired ) doesn’t mention retirement but my extension of stay has retirement stamped above it .

7CAE9768-61CB-4717-A895-5253B9DA7A65.thumb.jpeg.380c7894ca9c77a0057205d25bc84876.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2019 at 3:10 AM, gk10002000 said:

it is NOT for nothing.  You get easy and hassle free immigration and extensions.  You can come and go easily.   You get people that will process your 90 day report for you. You do not have to post any 800k baht in Thailand.  You don't have to setup and pay for monthly transfers every single month to keep your OA or O extension valid.   As for insurance, I caution people that have their own foreign or home insurance policies yet then go and buy the Thai insurance policies.  Many health insurance policies expressly do not allow the person to hold multiple policies.

Considering the terms and conditions of all visa types seem to change every six months or so, I see no reason to rely on a 5 or 10 year visa that costs a lot of money and offers no guarantee that its own terms won't change--or even that it might not suddenly cease to exist. I'm on a Non-O now, and that looks safe enough for the time being. But those who think the Non-O will be safe forever are fooling themselves, I think. I own a Thai insurance policy with decent terms which is not on the list of 0-A policies (none of which offer decent terms). Let's wait and see if the Thai gov't is willing to fight with Thai insurers who are not on their list.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roy Baht said:

.... I own a Thai insurance policy with decent terms which is not on the list of 0-A policies (none of which offer decent terms). Let's wait and see if the Thai gov't is willing to fight with Thai insurers who are not on their list.

If it is a policy from a Thai company there is a good chance it is underwritten by one of the approved companies in which case you might be able to get the needed insurance certificate for Immigration. People with policies from April Thailand for example can get LMG certificate because LMG is their underwriter. There is something similar for LUMA policies though I forget which underwriter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If it is a policy from a Thai company there is a good chance it is underwritten by one of the approved companies in which case you might be able to get the needed insurance certificate for Immigration. People with policies from April Thailand for example can get LMG certificate because LMG is their underwriter. There is something similar for LUMA policies though I forget which underwriter.

From what I hear, the insurance certificate is only good for one year to give people time to change to an approved Long-Stay policy (all of which are horrible). I refuse to the do that. This current system must change. And judging from the chaos this rollout has created, hopefully the system will change. From the point of view of actual health care policy, the Thai gov't is doing expats a disservice by forcing them on to inferior polices that cover and pay less, which in the end will leave hospitals with HIGHER bills to pay when these policies fail.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

From what I hear, the insurance certificate is only good for one year ...

Certificate issued by one of the approved companies can be used every year. I was responding to your statement that you already had a Thai policy but from a company not on the list. As I explained maany such policies can be used if the underwriter is one of the approved companies.

It does not have to be a "long stay policy" provided it meets the 400,/40 criteria and is issued or unferwritten by one of the listed companies.

If what you meant when you said you had a "Thai policy" was that you had a foreign policy that covers you in Thailand that is another matter and indeed at this time is accepted for initial year of entry only.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Certificate issued by one of the approved companies can be used every year. I was responding to your statement that you already had a Thai policy but from a company not on the list. As I explained maany such policies can be used if the underwriter is one of the approved companies.

It does not have to be a "long stay policy" provided it meets the 400,/40 criteria and is issued or unferwritten by one of the listed companies.

If what you meant when you said you had a "Thai policy" was that you had a foreign policy that covers you in Thailand that is another matter and indeed at this time is accepted for initial year of entry only.

I see. No, I have insurance with a Thai company, Bangkok Insurance, and it meets the 400/40 criteria (and then some) but is not on the Long-Stay list. I also have life insurance with them, which was a condition for me getting the health insurance but results, according to them, in my premiums not changing (from an established schedule) and their not dropping me for making a claim.

3 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

I see. No, I have insurance with a Thai company, Bangkok Insurance, and it meets the 400/40 criteria (and then some) but is not on the Long-Stay list. I also have life insurance with them, which was a condition for me getting the health insurance but results, according to them, in my premiums not changing (from an established schedule) and their not dropping me for making a claim.

Check to see who the underwriter is. If they are the underwriter then indeed out of luck. But sometimes the underwriter is another company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your information and opinions which I find very interesting. I have not made thousands of statements like most of you because I do not have the time. 

In my opinion it is like that since the 31/10/2019 all abroad a new Non OA request the proof of thai insurance need.
All extensions of Non OA Visa which are extended now also need the proof of thai insurance.

Is it possible, If a foreigner has an international health insurance which covers one million USD for inpatient and outpatient care, and the foreign insurance company completes the form (Foreign Insurance Certificate) that the visa Non OA is renewed?

I think the form (Foreign Insurance Certificate) ist for international health Insurance companies.

And in the future, in my opinion, the law will be extended to the remaining visa classes like O, B, ED, TR. So that the Thai hospitals make no loss. And the Thai insurance companies have an additional income.
Send feedback

History
Saved
Community